Why manufacturer remove ATW Polarizer if it solves one of the biggest IPS problem?

There are none that I can see except likely price. Possibly a very slight loss of measured contrast, but it is far better than any other polarizer/anti-glare combination I've seen on any monitor.

Very little if any apparent glow on blacks, excellent light diffusion characteristics.

Last edited:
There are none that I can see except likely price. Possibly a very slight loss of measured contrast, but it is far better than any other polarizer/anti-glare combination I've seen on any monitor.

Lower anti-glare sparkle and chroma noise, very little if any apparent glow on blacks, excellent light diffusion characteristics.

do you think that Eizo a NEC have problem of price?
do you think that a customer who spend $1000 or $3000 per monitor have problem with a sheet of plastic?
I can't understood why they don't make a more expensive version for high end monitors and sincerely I can't belive that its a factor of price.

I'm sure that many customers will pay much better for an IPS panel with that polarizer if it has no disadvantages.
You talked about contrast... IPS panels have very low contrast once calibrated, is this probably the root cause?

As title.

What is the disadvantages of having an ATW Polarizer?

I don't know what "A-TW" or "A-TW IPS" is. Does it stand for True White or True Wide?

All the information I have found on the internet refers to A-TW as being related to colour gamut, which is completely contradictory (lcd2490wuxi) and non-technical.

It stands for Advanced True White. To quote NEC:

What is an A-TW (Advanced True White) polarizer? What are the benefits and drawbacks?

The A-TW filter is an additional film that is applied to some LCD panels with the aim of improving off-axis viewing of the display by reducing the "glow" effect that can be seen when viewing very dark images at extreme angles on S-IPS LCD panels. While it does reduce the glow effect, it can also introduce a slight coloration artifact that causes the glow to appear green when viewed from one angle, and magenta from another.

http://www.necdisplay.com/faq/additional-topics/color-critical-displays/14

From the description of a youtube video about the new non-A-TW 2690:

NEC reps says "There are good and bad points with the A-TW. Some color critical users do not like the green/magenta glow at each corner of the display, and a neutral gray is more acceptable. Also the contrast ratio is increased with this panel."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2pIysomGPI

My guess is that these "color critical users" that didn't like the A-TW are major corporate users that buy hundreds of high-end monitors.

What is an A-TW (Advanced True White) polarizer? What are the benefits and drawbacks?

The A-TW filter is an additional film that is applied to some LCD panels with the aim of improving off-axis viewing of the display by reducing the "glow" effect that can be seen when viewing very dark images at extreme angles on S-IPS LCD panels. While it does reduce the glow effect, it can also introduce a slight coloration artifact that causes the glow to appear green when viewed from one angle, and magenta from another.

NEC reps says "There are good and bad points with the A-TW. Some color critical users do not like the green/magenta glow at each corner of the display, and a neutral gray is more acceptable. Also the contrast ratio is increased with this panel."

great post.
in any case if they decided to completely dismiss this polarizer I think that it's better in this way.

I've read all that. NEC contradicts itself where is calls it "advanced true wide" in lcd2690 and 2090 data sheets. How am I to tell when there is no technical description available. sblantipodi's question is unanswerable for the time being.

It should be True Wide given its function. Though NEC has both on their pages. Which you can blame idiots in Marketing for. A FAQ below actually describes its Function:

Here it is called Advanced True Wide:
http://www.nec.com.sg/index.php?q=n...26”-widescreen-display-innovative-h-ips-panel
"The H-IPS A-TW Pol. (Horizontal IPS with Advanced True Wide Polarizer) "

Here is FAQ calling it Advanced True White. Note the same models is listed as having True White as the above where it was called True Wide. :rolleyes:

Which models use an A-TW (Advanced True White) polarizer?

The LCD2090UXi, LCD2490WUXi, and LCD2690WUXi use an A-TW polarizer. The LCD2490WUXi2, LCD2690WUXi2, LCD3090WQXi and other models do not.

Found this interesting bit on Vizio TVs:
http://www.vizio.com/news/VIZIOLaunchesNEWXVTProSeriesofAdvancedHDTVTechnology/
"Advanced True Wide Polarizer"

A IPS TV with A-TW, or perversion of the name?

Basically

• RGB-LED panel shows traits of "A-TW" models by NEC
  • Only the RGB-LED is in production
  • We don't know what it is
  • The omission in PA241w panel could be price related or technical

My guess is that these "color critical users" that didn't like the A-TW are major corporate users that buy hundreds of high-end monitors.
major corporations have no need for high end color correct monitors.

art houses, print shops ... basically anywhere that uses macs to do actual work is where you'll find high end panels.

10e said:
Lower anti-glare sparkle and chroma noise
The A-TW polarizer has nothing to do with the anti-glare. The HP DreamColor has both the A-TW polarizer and the grainy anti-glare film, while the Planar PX2611W had neither. As far as I know, only the first generation 24"/25.5" H-IPS panels had the lighter anti-glare film, which includes monitors like the NEC 2490/2690, Planar PX2611W, and DoubleSight DS-263N.

The A-TW polarizer has nothing to do with the anti-glare. The HP DreamColor has both the A-TW polarizer and the grainy anti-glare film, while the Planar PX2611W had neither. As far as I know, only the first generation 24"/25.5" H-IPS panels had the lighter anti-glare film, which includes monitors like the NEC 2490/2690, Planar PX2611W, and DoubleSight DS-263N.

Strangely enough I read your LP2480ZX review later yesterday and saw that.

I'd assume the LG W2420R is the same (panel) and AG.

Too bad.

Absolutely.
BTW your review of the HP DreamColor is the first and still the best in the net.
When I need to look up something about this monitor I go back to your review.

Although I believe this thread is a provocation, I nevertheless would like to use this opportunity to share my opinion: the NEC 2490WUXi with A-TW polarizer is the best LCD monitor ever produced for consumer market with nothing equal upcoming.

Absolutely.
BTW your review of the HP DreamColor is the first and still the best in the net.
When I need to look up something about this monitor I go back to your review.

Although I believe this thread is a provocation, I nevertheless would like to use this opportunity to share my opinion: the NEC 2490WUXi with A-TW polarizer is the best LCD monitor ever produced for consumer market with nothing equal upcoming.

i've been using this monitor for 2 years now and after seeing different monitors in person i dont think ill be switching for a long time:D

Anyone have any idea if the "Advanced True Wide Polarizer" on some Vizio TVs is actually the real thing?
http://www.vizio.com/news/VIZIOLaunchesNEWXVTProSeriesofAdvancedHDTVTechnology/

It seems if you can get it for a TV it should be that outlandishly priced to do it for a monitor. IMO the monitor that really needed it most was the 30" ips panels.
Good question, i'd like to know too.
I'm not really sure, but it seems like LG uses the term "True Wide View" for a lot of their monitors - see: http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/LG-52LB5D-DataSheet.pdf .
They even use "Advanced True Wide" here: http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/LG-32LB9D-DataSheet.pdf
That's a TV from 2007.

Though it is just saying it has True Wide viewing angles for the LG TVs.

The Vizio TV is saying "Advanced True Wide Polarizer" which is very specific

Though through the filter of Marketing nonsense, it is really hard to know what is what. Like how the heck that does NEC use "Advanced True Wide"/"Advanced True White" interchangeably?? That can only be explained as marketing morons in action.

If A-TW polarizer sheets are still in production and in larger sizes(for Vizio TV), it seems like it would be a no brainer for NEC to include this on larger top end screens (27"-30"). This seems like it would be a significant differentiator right where you need it most.

Back when A-TW was available. I don't remember anyone, anywhere ever saying they preferred the standard screen without A-TW. The only downside seems to be cost.

Last edited:
I love my two first-gen NEC 2090UXi's with the A-TW polarizer. I won't switch to anything else until I find a new old stock first-gen 2490WUXi or 2690WUXi.

Would I be right in saying ATW does very little if you always use your monitor right in front of you?

Would I be right in saying ATW does very little if you always use your monitor right in front of you?
Depending on how big the monitor is, and how far away you sit from it, you might find that the edges are affected slightly by IPS glow. I've not used a monitor with an ATW polarizer so I can't say how much difference they make to this, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Depending on how big the monitor is, and how far away you sit from it, you might find that the edges are affected slightly by IPS glow. I've not used a monitor with an ATW polarizer so I can't say how much difference they make to this, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Thanks, I'm just wondering if that feature is worth £200, which basically the difference between:

This

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/32gr93u-b

and this

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/32gq950-b

Originally I thought that the subdued colored IPS glow on the 576 zones panels in the Asus PG32uqxR and Acer X32 FP was due to using mini LED, the latter specifically having local dimming disabled. But then I saw IPS glow pictures of the 1152 zones AOC PD32M, which was far more traditional (not at all angles) whitish glow. Seem like the 576 zones AUO panel might be using a filter after all.

So pick your poison of traditional glow (Corsair 32UHD144) vs. subdued colored (depending on angle) glow (Asus PG32uqxR):

1698233432675.png
1698233461914.png

1698233719558.png

After setting up the Cooler Master Tempest GP27U side-by-side with the Acer X32 FP it becomes obvious why a polarizer filter is very beneficial for mini LED panels. I always wondered why reviewers emphasize that mini LED local dimming halo was especially visible from larger viewing angles?! Now I know: each lit zone produces its own IPS glow which *considerably* adds to the halo when viewed from larger angles. With the polarizer that seems to be part of the X32/PG32uqxR panel this is much more subdued.

This might also be the reason why the Acer doesn't fully disable its backlight for full black over most of its brightness range, to lower the contrast between what it left of IPS flow despite the polarizer versus the black areas.

In practice this means that local dimming mini LED panels utilizing a polarizer can either sit closer to the user or be larger with less detrimental IPS glow/dimming halo effects being visible towards the sides/corners.

Originally I thought that the subdued colored IPS glow on the 576 zones panels in the Asus PG32uqxR and Acer X32 FP was due to using mini LED, the latter specifically having local dimming disabled. But then I saw IPS glow pictures of the 1152 zones AOC PD32M, which was far more traditional (not at all angles) whitish glow. Seem like the 576 zones AUO panel might be using a filter after all.

So pick your poison of traditional glow (Corsair 32UHD144) vs. subdued colored (depending on angle) glow (Asus PG32uqxR):

View attachment 608681 View attachment 608683
View attachment 608684
I'm very curious and skeptical if ATW Polarizer, Semi-Glare, and Glossy with special Gorilla 3D-Glass/Film on that Dough/Eve WRGB 27" 1440p 240Hz model would really help in a situation like this (IPS Glow, Halo, Blooming, Backlight Bleeding).

Last edited:
I would guess less light gets through per watt as well, judging by how heavy and thick the 32GQ950 is.

Back