Why isn’t a NVME PCI-E controller board working on my MSI X99A Plus?

Wag

[H]ard|Gawd
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Check for BIOS updates.

If nothing, then check chipset drivers on the OS itself, or even firmware updates to the SSD.

I take it you haven't yet installed a SSD into the adapter?

The board linked isn't a controller. It doesn't have to convert PCIe to some other protocol (e.g., SATA). It won't show up in the BIOS/UEFI or the OS's device manager. It's a very basic adapter that simply remaps the electrical from the PCIe slot to a m.2 connector.

I'm sure that OP has an actual NVMe SSD installed into that module there.

If not, then Blue is right. It just remaps the circuits and nothing will happen if you install it empty.

What 2nd drive are you using? Another Samsung drive?

Is it an NVMe drive or is it an m.2 SATA drive? NVMe will work with that card, but SATA based m.2 will not.

I'm sure that OP has an actual NVMe SSD installed into that module there.

If not, then Blue is right. It just remaps the circuits and nothing will happen if you install it empty.
Of course I have. lol

I purchased a Adata XPG SX8200 Pro. I tried the card in both slots 3 and 5. Nothing.

Next to last MSI BIOS for the motherboard (MSI said not to upgrade unless you were having a particular issue).

The board explorer in the bios should show a card installed and its speed (always has for everything else). Drive is not showing up in windows to format, Tried various bios settings- nada.

I should have 8 lanes available to me in Slot 3 so it should work. I must be missing something unless the controller card or drive doesn’t work.

Test the drive in your main m.2 slot and see if it detects it. If it does, then it might be a bad card.

Test the drive in your main m.2 slot and see if it detects it. If it does, then it might be a bad card.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1026618/Msi-X99a-Sli-Plus.html?page=71#manual

Sort of a pain because the m.2 slot is under the graphics card, but I guess I have no choice.

Other than the card itself I was thinking it might have something to do with the PCI Subsystem settings in the bios. But I already have it set M.2 PCH PCIE for the built in M.2 slot, so with no other cards other than a 2080Ti in slot 1 the NVME controller in slot 3 should bifurcate automatically to x4. I'll change Slot 3 to Gen 1 and see if it works, if it does I'll send it back anyways.

I remember when you plugged stuff in and it just worked (most of the time).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GNDR81B

Edit- OK, it's probably the PCIE controller. The ADATA NVME works on the motherboard slot just fine- (although my bios screens started flickering which is concerning). I guess I need to try resetting my CMOS- but I'm too lazy to re-input all my tweaks.

I purchased this one. Hopefully it works. If it doesn't it could be something else.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yup. Got the new controller, everything works fine. Cloning now.

Amazing how cheap these things are, and how one just works while the other doesn't.

Now let's see if I can boot from it after I clone to it...

Nope, couldn't get the clone to boot- tried all day. I had to do a fresh Win10 install, boots fine off the card.

This drive smokes my 960 Evo.

Last edited:
Back