Why is TWIN2X2048-6400C4 discontinued?

shurcooL

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know why the Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2gb kit (2x 1gb) with CAS4 latency has been discontinued?

Only the TWIN2X2048-6400 (equivalent CAS5 version) is still being made.

Was there some problem with it, or did they discontinue it because it got "replace" by some higher-end memory model?

I have 2x 1gb TWIN2X2048-6400C4 in my desktop now, and I'm considering getting another same kit for 4 gb total. Or should I just get rid of my current 2 gb and get a fresh set of 4 gb? Please advise.

Does anyone know why the Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2gb kit (2x 1gb) with CAS4 latency has been discontinued?

Only the TWIN2X2048-6400 (equivalent CAS5 version) is still being made.

Was there some problem with it, or did they discontinue it because it got "replace" by some higher-end memory model?

I have 2x 1gb TWIN2X2048-6400C4 in my desktop now, and I'm considering getting another same kit for 4 gb total. Or should I just get rid of my current 2 gb and get a fresh set of 4 gb? Please advise.

The problem is that DDR2 memory itself is slowly being phased out of production. Hardly any new systems use DDR2 memory any more. Nearly all new systems now use DDR3 memory.

Second, the smaller-sized memory modules of any type are also being phased out. At current street prices 1GB DDR2 modules now sell for nearly as much money as their 2GB siblings. (And I'm discussing individual modules, not multi-channel kits; as such, a 2GB dual-channel kit consists of two 1GB modules.) That makes the manufacture of such small-sized DIMMs uneconomical.

Third, even if you buy another 2GB dual-channel kit there is no guarantee whatsoever that you'll be able to run all four modules at rated speed or even at all. In fact, there is a fair chance that the two kits do not work together at all due to the completely different IC chips used that don't play nice or at all with one another.

So in other words, DDR2 memory is now effectively on life support.

It makes sense about the less common DDR2 kits being phased out. Thanks.

Is getting a new 4 GB DDR2 kit my best bet if I want to go from current 2x1 GB to 4 GB in total (I am currently using up 2/4 ram slots) then?

Is getting a new 4 GB DDR2 kit my best bet if I want to go from current 2x1 GB to 4 GB in total (I am currently using up 2/4 ram slots) then?

yes.

Back