Why is the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool still at version 1803?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Oubadah, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Oubadah

Oubadah [H]ard|Gawd

Did the 1809 one get recalled, or did they never update it?

2. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

probably not rolled out to the tool due to the user files deletion issue.

Oubadah likes this.
  3. Tiberian

Tiberian DILLIGAFuck

jlbenedict, DPI, Mazzspeed and 2 others like this.
  4. Oubadah

Oubadah [H]ard|Gawd

5. daglesj

daglesj [H]ardness Supreme

Yeah I tried running the new 1809 creator a few days ago and it keeled over twice when making the bootable USB. Gave up.

6. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

I downloaded the 1809 iso on the first day but was holding off on installing it...good thing I waited...the April update was also delayed because of some last minute bug...this looks more serious...how does this keep happening?...this was reported during the beta but MS seems to have ignored it

7. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

I updated 3 machines yesterday with no issues, so not sure how widespread the issue is. I am trying to do one of my laptops today but I think they totally pulled the update as the Windows Updater app just says "Thank you for updating"

windows-update.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  8. Oubadah

Oubadah [H]ard|Gawd

For future reference, if the media creation tool shits itself after downloading, try putting the tool on the USB you want to make bootable and running it from there. Sounds stupid, but it actually works.

The tool has always been a piece of junk. Given how desperate Microsoft is to push the OS, it’s kinda ironic how badly they screw up one of the main distribution vectors. At one point the tool would only run on Windows 10. Think about the absurdity of that for a moment...

Also, why does the tool have to re-download the entire image just because the formatting/copying step failed? Why can’t they let you re-try just that one part of the process, instead of putting you back to square 1. Trial and error troubleshooting the thing was agonising on my crappy ADSL connection.

9. TrailRunner

TrailRunner Limp Gawd

Use the Media Creation tool to download the ISO, then use Rufus to copy the ISO to the USB stick. Best of all worlds.

10. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

Makes me wonder how this even happens. The Windows folder gets renamed and replaced. Why is it even touching the Users folder?

11. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

well the few that do have issues are always the most vocal. the people that dont have issues, that is exponentially more than those with problems, do not scream and shout about how good it is. but when the quiet ones do speak up and say they haven't had the so called "wide-spread catastrophic issues" they are called shills.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  12. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed [H]ard|Gawd

No, they're called shills when the blindly defend Microsoft at all costs. Most of the time even ignoring what's being mass reported via respectable tech sites and calling those that criticize Microsoft over well known issues lairs. They use the cop out 'I want proof'.

13. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

ive been called a shill maybe even by you and ill im saying is wait to see what really happened. I do the same thing for anything, figure out the truth and then place the blame.

14. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

No on has called anyone a liar. Also, requiring proof is reasonable, not a cop out.

pendragon1 and GoldenTiger like this.
  15. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed [H]ard|Gawd

Asking for proof over a known and reported issue is a cop out no matter how you spin it and claiming that backups fix everything is: BandAid ---> Sore Knee. ;)

16. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

Well then, you cleary believe whatever anyone tells you, that's lol. :) Reporting something does not make something automatically known or true.

17. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed [H]ard|Gawd

Point in case.

18. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

Wrong.

19. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed [H]ard|Gawd

Don't know how many times I've got to say it...

...Not interested in discussing anything with you.