Why is the WAN continuously in use while systems are down?

hitokiri

Limp Gawd
Just curious as to what information is being sent back and forth from my router's WAN side to the internet. I always see the WAN light blinking even when the systems in my house are all off. What protocols are being used and sort of information being exchanged while all the systems are off? If anyone knows, please post a reply, as this has been on my mind for awhile :)

I'm basically using a D-Link DI-614+ router which has three systems connected to it on a roadrunner connection.

- Thanks

hito

It's probably not data being sent back and forth, just crap being sent to you. It's just stuff like scanning for vulnerable computers to infect to add to a botnet or whatever. That kind of stuff is all automated, and there are plenty of people out there doing those sorts of scans. Every time a scan hits your router's IP address, it'll show as activity on the wan side.

As far as legitimate traffic goes, pretty much the only traffic while your systems are off is going to be DHCP lease renewal stuff. Or possibly your ISP doing pings/portscans/whatever.

jpmkm said:
As far as legitimate traffic goes, pretty much the only traffic while your systems are off is going to be DHCP lease renewal stuff. Or possibly your ISP doing pings/portscans/whatever.

Or multicast traffic or routing information....

Any chance of nearby peeps sapping your wireless? You locked down? I don't have DLinks line memorized..but if I recall..the 614 is wireless.

Ah, so that's what causes the WAN to go blinking non-stop lol, good to know :)

As for my router, yes it is a wireless. I have it locked down, so I do not believe that's the cause of it. Checked logs, and all as well. but that did come to mind at first :)

Thanks for clearing up that mystery :D

- hito

If you are really curious - slap a hub between the router and the modem and put a computer on the hub. Don't give the computer an IP address and fire up Ethereal.

...or Wireshark as I believe that is the new name for Ethereal.

Back