Why is the open world MMOFPS genre not very popular?

Eshelmen

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm not talking Destiny. I'm talking Planetside 2esque games.

We see games like PUBG, Fortnite and others doing so well with this Battle Royale thing, and I'm all for it.

But what the hell?

Why is Planetside 2 the only game worth playing in its own genre?

There are so many other themes to make such a genre come alive. Star Wars, World War 2, and more...

Is it too difficult to program such a large scale map with a large amount of players going havoc non stop 24/7?

or is it because that it's just not a popular game design?

I'd gladly play a Planetside 2 meets Star Wars or World War 2 scene in a heart Beat!

We've got plenty of MMOs in general utilizing mass scale battles with hundreds and hundreds of players.

But in the end, First Person Shooters still seem to reign supreme. And I'm surprised that with this specific genre, the best of both worlds colliding, there aren't more games like it being developed.

Why aren't these type of games being made more often?

Just curious what you guys think.

Last edited:
I personally have no desire to play such a game.
Hey and that's fine. You can't have everyone play the same game, that's the beauty of having options.

But to stop at Planetside 2 is pure madness imo.

Daybreak studios to be the last worthy dev for this genre? What a waste of creativity.

Last edited:
MMO in general has been replaced by heavily instanced up to about 50 player shards. Enough to give a feeling of having a lot of people around with none of the hassle of network code and infrastructure.

That and a shift to content that can be completed, won, or lost relatively quickly: 10-15 minutes is about the top end of the attention span.

FPSs are no exception. I don’t know if we will ever get back to the 1,000 v 1,000 long term large scale wars that Planetside was (sort of) capable of.

Sad, I am a big MMO fan, but that’s the way pretty much everything has been shifting in the past several years.

It's because the combat, the mechanics, and the gameplay are completely uninteresting.

Because MMO's stopped being "massive". Everything became instanced and divided into small group activities. Fast travel, quest indicators, and massive databases give away all the mystery of the world. Large scale PvP still barely works due to easily exploited mechanics or power-creep from the 0.1% that still continue the 8hr/day MMO routine of times past, and servers/engines being completely unable to deliver a good experience when more than ~50-100 people are in one place.

Reactions: spine
like this
Back