Why is the FX-6350 more expensive than an I5-2500K on Ebay?

I don't think this is the right place for ebay discussions but yes the 2500k is generally a better cpu. The big difference is that up until ryzen the fx-6350 was still in production as well as am3+ motherboards.

Any 2500k and compatible mobo you find will be 6 years old.

Because MOAR cores = MOAR power, right?

ContentFrequentAfricanclawedfrog-max-1mb.gif

FX-6350 DDR3 Motherboards are still available.
I5-2500 motherboards even used can be very expensive
I've been looking for Ivy Bridge/Sandy Bridge motherboards. Mostly because I have some CPUs and memory..

Order (or perhaps orders) of magnitude more volume? It's why I always say it's cheaper to buy Intel. Sad, but true.

Mobos that can ovc 2500k are very expensive while am3+ aren't and AMD is very popular in China.

FX-6350 DDR3 Motherboards are still available.
I5-2500 motherboards even used can be very expensive
I've been looking for Ivy Bridge/Sandy Bridge motherboards. Mostly because I have some CPUs and memory..
Paid about 80USD equivalent for my Z60 whatever it is in my sig. My replacement 2600k (old one died with USB voltage surge) was a similar price too.
They keep their value well because they're still a pretty effective gaming/general use CPU.
I don't really notice any difference between that and a newer rig day to day.

But yes it seems like there are less motherboards as they die more often than CPUs, more to go wrong on them.

Yea its definitely better but the 2500k is way more common and it seems like the market is flooded with them lately.

I've started hoarding the damn things.... the 2500k (and 2600k) are the last mainstream processors that Intel used solder on between the CPU die and heatspreader. That's why most of them will hit 4.5ghz EASY, and usually well beyond that. What's the last CPU you can remember that would overclock a whole 1ghz+ past it's base clock or even it's turbo clock? Not many. :)

SEVEN years after their release and they can still hold their own against many current gen SKUs.

Now... finding a decently cheap Z68 or Z77 motherboard for one so you CAN overclock? Good luck with that. In many cases these boards are fetching almost as much as they did brand new. Especially ITX boards.... Yikes....

I'd kill to find a deal on an ITX Z77 board.... :(

Well, when my H81 board died I paid almost 200 CAD to get a new one - I found solace in getting a slightly better chipset. And I have a Haswell i3.

I shudder to even look the price of MoBos to drive a Sandy Bridge CPU.

Still, when I left Brazil I gave my brother the i3-2120 system I had. He could just drop the 2500k on it and have fun. No O/C, but still a lot of extra oomph.

Back