Why is steam so busted lately.

TeeJay88

Limp Gawd
Just recently steam has gone haywire for me and a few other. Steam community not working in game. it tells me i have to have it enabled(which it is).Demos not working, games perpetually syncing. steam cloud going haywire. and everything was fine until i reinstalled l4d.

At first I thought it was Win7 was the prob. But my friend confirmed that it wasnt.

I've had to update Steam a few times lately but it hasn't been much of an issue for me.

I haven't any problems but yeah it is odd steams put out like 30 client updates in the last week or two.

It worked fine for me on Vista but when I switched over to Win7, steam started giving me problems. After about 10 reinstalls, it worked.

i think a lot of the problems have to do with all these friggin updates..

maybe like 3 client updates, at most in the past couple weeks? everything is working fine for me though, besides one server that would not authenticate for hlds. turning to the universal solution of "delete/rename clientregistry.blob" of course fixed it right up. I don't like how that is the solution to all of steam's problems, just mysterious and unexplained, and I have no idea why it works. but it's the only thing you ever really need to do besides restart steam if anything client side is not working right.

No issues here and it's been 3 updates I believe. None have caused me any grief...just wish I could find the time to actually try out the L4D2 demo. Have it installed but haven't even been able to fire it up yet. :(

If Steam is causing grief after the .blob file deletion mentioned by mas, I'd probably back up the games and uninstall/reinstall Steam and make sure you delete any related appdata folders.

I've gotten a few updates as well, and I've had a few problems logging in on somedays. But once Im in I dont have any problems. and It seems to have cooled back down over the past 2 days.

Always check for client updates and restart.

Another trick I learned that helps is this: Go into your main Steam folder and look for a file called ClientRegistry.blob. When you're having problems, shut Steam down, find this file and delete it. Restart Steam and this "forces" Steam to get a new update and so forth. Sometimes you have to do this more than once.

Past that, I've simply learned that if it's during peak hour and especially if you have several big releases coming out close to each other...it doesn't matter how awesome your Internet may be, you can forget about getting that download in a timely manner. It's just the nature of the beast.

No problems here.

Even getting all my goodies and DLC for Dragon Age Deluxe went really smootly for me... unlike alot of others... :)

steam has been acting a bit odd for me lately too. also ive talked to people who have had some problems.

Steam has been reliable for me. Download speeds are good too, my max is 700k however and it always hits this

Haven't had any kind of problems with Steam on XP, but I keep up to date with the updates.
I suppose the amount of client updates have been because of the recent Steamworks games. Hmm.

Steams has been kind of rough relative to its otherwise smooth operation for that past 4-6 wks.

Lots of Steam Client updates, I see. They often require me to kill steam and restart it because the after the update, it seems a little flakey.

Had trouble reaching the store pages and images during last week.

I even noticed they pushed a pre-install of the killing floor to me. I did do the weekend trial, but never bought and deleted the local content. However, the game has been re-pushed to me.

Anybody else having the problem which nothing you click on loads? For me, Steam opens up, but when I want to click on Games/Settings/Community/Friends, nothing happens, i've even reinstalled Steam.

I applied the beta updates and poof its back to normal. Ive been a fan a valve since half life one, but it seems to me at times there just releasing stuff at bare minimum working level lately with and attitude of "We'll fix it later."

It's been fine for me in Win7 since beta.

Steam support should be your first port of call with problems like this.

Yeah i know i should have went there first. but to be fair trolling through the steam forums is a pain im the bum. thats the reason i [H] i love hardforum, its the best forum layout ive ever come across so i come here for my troubles

It's been fine for me, but maybe some are having problems because the Steam servers were massively loaded recently. The content server stats showed a peak of 140,000 mbits.

I've definitely noticed some synching errors recently...cannot connect to my games because it can't sync

For some reason, people never think of doing this.

You can get help at the support site or by using the forums.

We've put out a lot of beta updates and three or four actual client releases over the last couple of weeks. We've been getting ready for the L4D2 release, plus the MW2 release. There's been lots of popular games released during this year's rush to the holidays. We expanded the content delivery network significantly, and last week hit more than 150 gigabits per second of delivered content.

There are some growing pains, and you might see downloads slower than you like or responses a little bit later than ideal. But I don't think you should be finding that things simply don't work. If that's the case, your best bet is to contact support so they can work with you to diagnose the problem.

I've definitely noticed some synching errors recently...cannot connect to my games because it can't sync

could have something to do with the steam cloud updates, even though I didn't have to restart my client for anything besides local file changes, and I leave it running all the time. must be a regional (last mile?) thing, besides that little .blob incident steam has actually been pretty flawless for me. it's true there has been so much activity in the last couple weeks, surprised I'm not running into any of these problems. besides the massive borderlands release, in this time just for me I've seen various non-issue client/cloud updates, a tf2 patch, 3 killing floor patches, 3Gb worth of l4d2 demo that I pulled down at balls-to-the-wall speeds, the data going through steam right now must be astronimical in addition to the usual, I'm actually quite impressed.

Steam was so kind to crash on me this morning. Did all the fun little tweaks to get it running, but nothing worked. I eventually had to re-install Steam and lost 62GB worth of games, yay! Time for the fun DL and install. Not happy with Steam at the moment.

you dont have to delete all your game content to get steam working, simply copy your steamapps folder to somewhere else, reinstall steam, copy game content back over.....

you dont have to delete all your game content to get steam working, simply copy your steamapps folder to somewhere else, reinstall steam, copy game content back over.....

Yeah, I started to copy the Apps folder, but it said it would take 20+ minutes and I had to head to work. I was hoping just the application and not the games would uninstall, but I obviously assumed wrong...doh!

It's highly likely that your installation was salvageable. Contacting support or asking for help on the Steam forums is always worth a shot before nuking your installation.

Yeah, I started to copy the Apps folder, but it said it would take 20+ minutes and I had to head to work. I was hoping just the application and not the games would uninstall, but I obviously assumed wrong...doh!

for future referance cut and paste is alot quicker than copy if your doing it on 1 hard drive.

Maybe OP has a point. I've never really had major Steam issues but earlier today I got a "Can't connect to server" error and didn't think anything of it because then it worked. Then later on I opened Steam and my computer completely froze. It is Linpack stable(great for heating a small room) and hard locks are rare. After rebooting and opening Steam I get this:

sadpandat.jpg

The "Blob" in CMultiFieldBlob might indicate a clientregistry.blob issue (wild guess). Try deleting it and re-launch Steam.

I jumped the gun and reinstalled Steam. It's fine but now my download journey begins. Keep me in your prayers.

The "Blob" in CMultiFieldBlob might indicate a clientregistry.blob issue (wild guess). Try deleting it and re-launch Steam.

Please don't. Instead, rename your clientregistry.blob file and restart steam. If that fixes the issue, please email the old clientregistry.blob file to me so I can figure out what went wrong. Deleting the file makes it impossible to diagnose the problem, and also makes it impossible to restore anything should the new clientregistry.blob file not work.

Steam was so kind to crash on me this morning. Did all the fun little tweaks to get it running, but nothing worked. I eventually had to re-install Steam and lost 62GB worth of games, yay! Time for the fun DL and install. Not happy with Steam at the moment.

The fix they emailed me was to delete everything in the steam folder except steamapps and steam.exe. Restart, then run steam. Works like a champ now.

No problems here.

Even getting all my goodies and DLC for Dragon Age Deluxe went really smootly for me... unlike alot of others... :)

Same here. Was all worried reading the forums and seeing all the problems people were having. Mine went smooth and hassle free.

Back