why is no one posting about the 2407 for 645?

because the monitor still sucks! still vertical banding issues, still HORRIBLE image quality over component.

Yeah, i guess it is a great deal, but for a well-known company to put out an inferior product with no planned modifications (A03), its hard to justify this 'deal' to get something that you cant use EVERY aspect of it.

Sure some people are saying they dont see the vertical banding....but there are WAAAAY too many people that say they do, and the general consensus is that component quality sucks ! (no xbox360, ps3, HDTV, etc)

Sure if you wanna take a chance, go ahead.

Personally, i think that a purchase like this is an important thing...id rather cough up a few more bucks for something that is well reviewed and not so much flawless, but well reviewed.

thenixhex311 said:
because the monitor still sucks! still vertical banding issues, still HORRIBLE image quality over component.

Yeah, i guess it is a great deal, but for a well-known company to put out an inferior product with no planned modifications (A03), its hard to justify this 'deal' to get something that you cant use EVERY aspect of it.

Sure some people are saying they dont see the vertical banding....but there are WAAAAY too many people that say they do, and the general consensus is that component quality sucks ! (no xbox360, ps3, HDTV, etc)

Sure if you wanna take a chance, go ahead.

Personally, i think that a purchase like this is an important thing...id rather cough up a few more bucks for something that is well reviewed and not so much flawless, but well reviewed.

i agree. this is why im hesitant on a 2407.

hey thenixhex311, i noticed in ur sig on considering a 2407 or 2707. any news on the 2707?

im really looking for a quality 24 incher. 20 inches aint gonna do it for me anymore. i almost went with the viewsonic vx that doesnt seem to have any major issues like the 2407.

viewsonic vx 24inch edition? i wish :)

For god sakes. I wish people would stop complaining about the banding.

The banding is only an issue if your the type of person who constantly looks for banding by opening up photoshop and staring at gradients all day.

There are users that use their computer monitors for more than just compulsive testing of banding.

I have watched wmv HD movies, played counterstrike, played civilization 4, surfed the net and edited many of my pictures through photoshop. I do NOT notice banding unless I specifically open up a gradient in photoshop and stare at it.

This whole banding issue on the 2407 has been blown way way out of proportion! It makes me laugh!

um I am not about to drop 700 dollars on a monitor that has any flaw at all. So yes banding is a big issue.

I would rather drop a grand on a monitor that I know isn't fucked up.

I was going to get the 2407, but now that they totally screwed it up and the component doesn't work (which is a total dealbreaker since I need something for my xbox360), I am waiting for new 24 inchers that don't suck.

COME ON NEC WHERE IS YOUR $1200 24 inch, I want it now.

I'm not saying this monitor is perfect. None of them are. Banding is not an issue for 99% of the people. It's retarded. You don't even notice it and most people don't believe the reviews when they say the same thing.

Nec probably will release a nice monitor. It will likely have a very glossy highly reflective screen. Now that could be considered a legitimate flaw that many users might not be able to deal with.

Anyways, I'm not here to sell people this monitor.

C'mon Dell, get on the stick !
Where iz yer new 27" Dell 2707 ?
Haven't heard a word more on it, since it dropped off the radar in February.
(And btw Dell, pleez don't screw it up).

oops! gotta edit my sig. There was talk months back when the 2407 was just all rumors that dell was releasing a 27" monitor too. Seriously doubt that.

Like the one post said, id easily drop a G on something that is, well it doesnt have to be flawless, just BETTER than the current offerings COUGH2407COUGH.

Waiting for reviews of Benq's FP2401W, FP301W, and NEC supposedly AWESOME AWESOME 26" (although $$$$ I heard)

Please if you can link me to a better 24" monitor with half the stats of the 2407 and a price tag under a grand I will buy it.. because it doesn't exist. I need a monitor in the next week and I don't have many choices for a 24"

Buy the monitor at $645 thru Dell with the promo. The way Dell is lowering the price on these, by October, the time the NEC comes out with there 24 inch unit, you can have two dell 24 inch side by side plus an ipod for the cost of one NEC! Those Dell's will be so bright you will not even need light bulbs at night!

PC-HAngover said:
Please if you can link me to a better 24" monitor with half the stats of the 2407 and a price tag under a grand I will buy it.. because it doesn't exist.
I need a monitor in the next week and I don't have many choices for a 24"
Here are 3 for under 1K.
The Acers I'm impressed with, reading owner reviews (given below each one).
IMO the Samsung is overpriced. (Samsung name is being paid for).
IMO any one of them is better than Dell 24" (if we go by owner-gripes on this forum). :D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?Item=N82E16824009089

The banding is only an issue if your the type of person who constantly looks for banding by opening up photoshop and staring at gradients all day.
ROFLMAO!!!
I have the 2407 (see my review in the 2407 topic) and didnt notice any banding at all. But i aint looking for it either.

The only things that changes during the first day i had it and now after a week is that the black levels aren't that black anymore, but i have the windows full open here so it's kinda lighty in my room. Though black is the only color that isnt black ennuf. You can turn it down to have it more black, but then white becomes grey.. ugh :p

Oh well i dont really care, it's so much better then my 2 other 19" screens!!

Zak said:
Here are 3 for under 1K.
The Acers I'm impressed with, reading owner reviews (given below each one).
IMO the Samsung is overpriced. (Samsung name is being paid for).
IMO any one of them is better than Dell 24" (if we go by owner-gripes on this forum). :D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?Item=N82E16824009089

I am sorry but I am not blowing $700-$800 on a monitor that is not at least somewhat futureproof... HDCP!

PC-HAngover said:
I am sorry but I am not blowing $700-$800 on a monitor that is not at least somewhat futureproof... HDCP!

Why's that? By the time that we actually have to have HDCP in order to watch a movie then it will be hacked if it isn't already. HDCP is a non issue if you ask me.

interpolator said:
Buy the monitor through Costco online with the $50 off promo through 7/30. If the monitor is as crappy as everyone claims just take it back to Costco if you do not like it. The way Dell is lowering the price on these, by the time the NEC comes out with there 24 inch unit, you can have two dell 24 inch side by side for the cost of one NEC! Those Dell's will be so bright you will not even need light bulbs at night!

and the point of having 2 24 inch monitors that can't do component properly is what?

Roberty said:
Why's that? By the time that we actually have to have HDCP in order to watch a movie then it will be hacked if it isn't already. HDCP is a non issue if you ask me.

maybe it is for you.. but I actually like to feel like I invested my money into something that won't screw me when Blu-Ray or HD-DVD is actually going to demand HDCP. I do agree that it will be hacked by then.. but it could be a hassle.. never know.

As for the component issue.. plz link me to another 24" lcd with components.. can't seem to find any except the dell 2407. The acer sure as hell doesn't have components. I plan on hooking my 360 up via the vga cable, though I wish the component quality was better... its an addition to the moniotor, not the main focus.

which is why im waiting for the NEC one..... hello!?

For me it is the main focus. I already have a huge HDTV TV out in the common room of my apartment, but I need one in my room as well.

Don't feel like getting a LCD HDTV and a LCD monitor, so I want both in one.

Hardcore said:
For god sakes. I wish people would stop complaining about the banding.

There are users that use their computer monitors for more than just compulsive testing of banding.

I have watched wmv HD movies, played counterstrike, played civilization 4, surfed the net and edited many of my pictures through photoshop. I do NOT notice banding unless I specifically open up a gradient in photoshop and stare at it.

This whole banding issue on the 2407 has been blown way way out of proportion! It makes me laugh!

I agree with you man. I guess people just like to find something to complain about. There is no perfect monitor out there right now and ever. To me, i dont' think banding and input lag (not playing headache games - FPS - hehe) will stop me from buying this monitor. The 2407 is still the monitor of choice for most of the reviewers from magazines to internet. Now if the monitor blows up after a day or two..then that's a different story.

PYROTAK said:
which is why im waiting for the NEC one..... hello!?

For me it is the main focus. I already have a huge HDTV TV out in the common room of my apartment, but I need one in my room as well.

Don't feel like getting a LCD HDTV and a LCD monitor, so I want both in one.

When is the release date on this? It will also probably be priced at around 1k... the 20" NEC is already ridiculously expensive.

PYROTAK said:
and the point of having 2 24 inch monitors that can't do component properly is what?

It's a computer monitor. Most that have the money to buy a 24 inch monitor can afford a nice TV with component inputs. Not everyone likes to multitask on one monitor. While the component option is nice, the percentage of time spent using the component inputs compared to the percentage of time using DVI is minimal. Have you ACTUALLY used a 2407? Additionally, do you have 2 Xbox 360s? I guess you just like to unplug it and take it back and forth from your huge HDTV to your room?

Threads like these crack me up. Some people can't figure out why someone would buy a POS like the 2407 and some people think it's a great monitor and can't see what all the fuss is about. It kind of reminds me of people buying cars.

Some people want a Toyota, and some people are willing to spend a bunch more on a Lexus. To the Toyota buyer, they are getting a good car at a good price and either can't afford, or don't think the extra cost of the Lexus is warranted. To the Lexus buyer, they can afford it and are willing to pay a premium price for a better product and can't figure out how people could stand driving a Toyota. At the end of the day, they are both cars that people decide on for a variety of reasons. Just like monitors.

EvilRonin said:
Threads like these crack me up. Some people can't figure out why someone would buy a POS like the 2407 and some people think it's a great monitor and can't see what all the fuss is about. It kind of reminds me of people buying cars.

Some people want a Toyota, and some people are willing to spend a bunch more on a Lexus. To the Toyota buyer, they are getting a good car at a good price and either can't afford, or don't think the extra cost of the Lexus is warranted. To the Lexus buyer, they can afford it and are willing to pay a premium price for a better product and can't figure out how people could stand driving a Toyota. At the end of the day, they are both cars that people decide on for a variety of reasons. Just like monitors.
That's not all that accurate in the case of this monitor though. In my case I was either able to get the 244t from circuit city's online website for 999, or this monitor from costco.com at 799. I really wanted to go for the 244t and I called circuit city and they told me that I could exchange the monitor for even one stuck or dead pixel. So that was cool, but I remember noticing some input-lag on the 2405fpw that I owned for about a week when playing ut2004 with my roommates. So I wasn't going to risk worse input-lag and have to pay a 10% restocking fee.

I knew about the banding issues on the 2407wfp before I bought it (I experienced them first hand on an A00 2007wfp that I owned for 1 day before returning it). I figured I would try out the A02 2407wfp since costco has a great return policy. Now before receiving this monitor you have to keep in mind that I had gone through 20-25 other lcds since Dec. 2005 trying to get one with no stuck/dead pixels with absolutely no luck.

So I start up the 2407wfp, and it has no stuck or dead pixels. And on 98% of my wallpapers I notice no banding whatsoever. I notice it in a few places on websites, and every now and then like on that dark blue gradient creative likes to put up when I load my X-fi's drivers. But other then that I never see banding, especially not when playing a game/movie/anime. The banding I thought I was seeing in apple's 1080p trailers ended up being a product of the extreme compression they use and not the monitor.

Furthermore, I have to say that out of the box color was simply awful as it has a heavy green push (I calibrated mine with the help of my spyder2 pro), and unless you tinker with brightness/contrast in your graphics card drivers for desktop/overlays/games you will have black and white crush at what I consider to be sane brightness levels (anything below 30 for my taste). After doing this the image was much more vibrant and rich (although still not as good as the 2 different HP L2335s I had for a month that I returned for stuck pixels and massive backlight bleeding).

So for me there was no other monitor that I could easily return in this size range. The apple cinema display and 3007wfp don't have hardware color controls. Samsung 244t isn't available at a store with a good enough return policy for me to test drive it. The HP L2335 and Sony 23" had horrible backlight bleed and stuck/dead pixels (although they did have more uniform backlighting than the 2407wfp [in this case I will take less uniformity in exchange for no bleeding]). So in mine, and I assume many other people's cases this is the best we can do right now at this size. Although I eagerly await the upcoming NEC 24"er, but will only buy it if it has a matte finish since glossy gives me eyestrain and thus headaches.

The Dell deals are still flying. With the 20% off deal plus coupon it is still down to $645. Maybe pile on an affinity discount or DPA discount to while you're at it for more discount. Dell is legit with free shipping. Why so much complaining about this monitor. The v A02's I have seen have been great. I hear whining about the number of inputs and their capabilities; but really is there any 24 incher with more input capabilities and hdmi. After all, this is just about the cheapest 24 inch display out there. Quit complaining about this not being the best monitor for all applications. If you want better, pay more!

wondermoose said:
It's a computer monitor. Most that have the money to buy a 24 inch monitor can afford a nice TV with component inputs. Not everyone likes to multitask on one monitor. While the component option is nice, the percentage of time spent using the component inputs compared to the percentage of time using DVI is minimal. Have you ACTUALLY used a 2407? Additionally, do you have 2 Xbox 360s? I guess you just like to unplug it and take it back and forth from your huge HDTV to your room?

First of all I need the component for my HD cable box. Second of all I will be getting a wii so I need some inputs for that, since I don't plan on keeping that one out in the common room. And hello sometimes people like to watch tv when i want to play xbox so i need to move it around sometimes.

And as my secondary monitor I would like PIP. I used to use a 2005fpw and I used the PIP feature alll the time.

I would get a LCD TV but thats just plain stupid when I don't have room and I need a high resolution screen. Either way I am not saying the 2407 is bad, Im saying its useless if you need the multiple inputs.

oh and stop being so sarcastic and cynical!

Still avoided the question. Have you actually used a 2407, allowing you to make an educated decision on the quality of the component feature?

This Benq sure is interesting, isn't it?
According to TrustedReviews it hits market in mid-August, 2 wks from now.
(BTW, what is "800 Euros" in US $$ ?) .
Some of you've already seen its heavy specs and here they are again.
Ripped from Trusted Reviews,which calls it "a multimedia paradise" (see link below) ...

+++ World's 1st "HDMI-ready" LCD monitor.
+++ 24"
+++ 1920x1200 native Rez,
+++ 1080P Rez .
+++ Connectors: HDMI, DVI-D, S-video, Component, Composite.
+++ 1000:1 contrast.
+++ 500cdm2 Brightness.
+++ PIP (picture-in-picture).
+++ 6ms Response.
It has "futuristic" design, coal black, sharp square edges (like AF Stealth Fighter) really cool-lookng.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=3198

wondermoose said:
Still avoided the question. Have you actually used a 2407, allowing you to make an educated decision on the quality of the component feature?

If a picture isn't good enough to make an educated decision i don't know what is. I looked at a picture from a couple reviews that people have posted. In addition if everyone says the component is broken, it must be broken. I am not about to go buy the monitor only to return it. That would be stupid.

Either way the NEC is a much nicer panel anyways 1600:1 contrast ratio.

If in fact its NOT that broken please prove me wrong and post a picture so that I may reevaluate my stance on the broken component. And then MAYBE i'll consider getting a 2407 and save myself a few bucks.

Don't get me wrong Im all for saving money, but hey if it can't deliver what I need im not going to get it. Don't see what the confusion is.

That said the BENq one looks promising...

PYROTAK said:
If a picture isn't good enough to make an educated decision i don't know what is. I looked at a picture from a couple reviews that people have posted.
That said the BENq one looks promising...
I won't argue against what you say, cuz your logic is pretty solid.
But, don't judge a monitor totally by pics that you see posted here. Why not?
Some posters don't know how to snap a good pic, and even worse---- wouldn't recognize a "high quality" LCD screen if it bit 'em in the rear-end.
Have you seen some of the fuzzy dull rotten "screen pics" that many (not all) Posters have posted here-----and they then say .... "wow, look at BF2 (or HL2 or WOW) on my new monitor !! Ain't this monitor GREAT ??!!"
(Yeah, sure it is :D ).

Its kind of ridiculous. Some people have such strong bias' based on their decision its hard to comb out the facts from the bullshit.

Im just trying to buy a monitor here that can be a computer monitor and a TV! Any advice talking about buying both is both counter productive and stupid.

Its like LOL the 2407 is so great! banding exists but its NOT that big of a deal. the component may be broken but have you seen it? The mere fact that it exists is kind of ridiculous since I have never heard of a monitor with such an issue before.

I don't need other peoples justifications on why they chose such an such monitor I just want a monitor that works perfectly as advertised. If it has component it betting freakin work, otherwise its useless to me. If I wanted something to be used strictly as a computer monitor I would just use the 2005 that I already have! But the fact that I want to use it as a TV as well means that I need it to be a little bigger so I can watch it comfortably from further and that the component works so I can play my videogames and use my HD cable box.

And also the main reason I need a bigger screen is becuase im getting a tablet and I am not planning on photoshopping on such a little 12 inch XGA screen, so when I do use photoshop I don't want no freakin banding!

So i hear that dell is coming out with a 27 inch screen i hope that one is bandfree and the component works! Then it would be a legitimate contender!

You know, let me say that I *have* seen the component. I have seen the X360 through both component and VGA on this monitor. Now I fully admit that I am not the pickiest when it comes to image quality, but the component quality didn't strike me as bad by any means. I have turned off ACC in the service menu as per what one poster in the main 2407 thread suggested though...I have never tried component with ACC on. Supposedly ACC is what causes the banding in the first place; Dell's "fix" was to turn it off in Desktop mode but they didn't turn it off in the other modes, and didn't provide a "Desktop" mode for component inputs.

Either way, quality is subjective. To be honest, the only complaint I have about my 2407 (A02) is that the black levels aren't great, but for me it's something I can deal with. Others...well they may have problems. But I can only speak for myself. I'm overall quite happy with my purchase, which is personally all that matters to me.

Pyrotak,

What makes me laugh is you come here trashing this monitor for banding even after we continuously tell you it does not exist in practical use. Why would I care if you buy this monitor? I'm sure 99% of the people on this forum do not need to give you false information to make themselves feel better about their purchase. We could all send our monitors back to dell if we didn't like them or felt we got hosed.

You seem to be prodding people into getting defensive and that may be why you have gotten some of the comments.

Anyways, enjoy your hunt for your monitor. I had fun searching for mine and it is indeed a chore going through all the information available. Hope you find what your looking for.

Im not getting defensive! I really would appreciate it if someone could definitively tell me if the component works!

So far Ive seen some people says it doesn't work and some people says it works!

So whats the verdict? (I am going to be using it for my xbox360)

i agree. i will be (would be) using this with my HD cable box too, via component.

Post some QUALITY pictures of QUALITY picture quality via component!

PYROTAK said:
Im not getting defensive! I really would appreciate it if someone could definitively tell me if the component works!

So far Ive seen some people says it doesn't work and some people says it works!

So whats the verdict? (I am going to be using it for my xbox360)

I just SAID it works...why do you keep insisting that it doesn't? From day one, no one has said it was broken. They said that the image quality sucked on it. I turned ACC off and didn't notice image quality problems.

Back