Why is Nikon hidding their SLR camera warranty info?

it's 5 years extended warranty on everything. and it's been like that for as long as i've been with Nikon. (all 2 years :D )

it's 5 years extended warranty on everything. and it's been like that for as long as i've been with Nikon. (all 2 years :D )

No it isn't.

Digital SLR Camera Bodies and Coolpix Cameras
No registration or "warranty" card is included or needed with a Nikon D-SLR or Coolpix camera. Keep your original, dated proof of purchase from the Authorized Nikon Inc. dealer in case warranty service is ever needed. These products do include either a mail-in form or a paper with a web link to our registration page:

http://www.nikonusa.com/registration

It's advised to register your product with Nikon so that we can send you information about future updates or service issues that may arise.

Nikkor Lenses
Nikkor lenses come with a standard one year warranty and Nikon Inc. lenses sold by authorized Nikon Inc. dealers will have a Nikon Inc. Five Year Extension*.

* To register for the five year extension, one copy of the included form must be mailed in as indicated. Keep the Customer copy of the form as well as the original proof of purchase (sales receipt).

Nikon 2 Year Extended Service Coverages
Nikon sells Two Year Extended Service Coverages for most Coolpix and D-SLR cameras. ( Due to state law, Nikon ESCs are not sold in Florida, Virginia or Washington states.) These coverages extend your original Nikon warranty for two additional years. The ESC can be purchased ay time within the original one year Nikon Inc. warranty. To learn more and to purchase an ESC see:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Extended-Service-Coverage.page

The purchased ESC form must be completed and mailed in as indicated on the form and a copy of the form as well as the original proof of purchase should be kept for future reference. Contrary to what some of the forms indicate there is no "10 day" limit on mailing the ESC form. As long as the ESC is purchased and the form submitted within the first year the ESC will be valid.

so is that then 5 more years on lenses or just 5 total, same with dslr's? 2 more years or just 2 total?

it's 5 total on lenses.

hmm.. i thought dslr's were the same way. guess i was wrong about that account.

NM I think I read it wrong although I must admit damn contract is confussing. Is it saying that it's selling the warrenty extension but only to authorized retailers "Nikkor lenses come with a standard one year warranty and Nikon Inc. lenses sold by authorized Nikon Inc. dealers will have a Nikon Inc. Five Year Extension*." That is why I think the reference to the camera's is confussing cause they don't mention anything about the athorized dealers situation.

Last edited:
AFAIK, Nikon DSLR are warranted for 1 year. You can buy the extended warranty within that 1 original year to extend for another 2 years. Your camera has a 1 year warranty regardless if purchased from an authorized dealer or not.

For the lens, it is 1 year warranty, and if you register it within time (30 day as I remember) it is extended for a total of 5 years (you don't really need to register anything, but keep your dated receipt). BUT your lens must be purchased from an authorized dealer. I think if you purchased from a non authorized dealer, you get no warranty.

And lastly, the thing that sucks about Nikon is that if you buy used stuff, the warranty doesn't transfer. Also you must buy Nikon USA lens and camera to get Nikon in the USA to fix the stuff regardless if it is under warranty repair or not. By Nikon USA lens and DSLR, I mean it has serial numbers that trace it as a USA retail item. The lenses usually have a 'US' designation before the serial number. If you look at B&H online, they list their items as either USA or Import 'gray market' product; this means gray market or imported products will not be worked on by Nikon USA even if you want to pay them to do it.

If you buy ESC, does that mean you get 7 yr. on lens?

If lens is 5 yr., why is their SLR camera only 1 yr.? Does that mean they have no confidence on their camera?

Legally speaking, shouldn't a manufacturer clearly state their warranty Prior to buying?

And suppose I don't believe what you guy wrote from the above, where's the link that their lens is in fact 5 yr. warranty?

AFAIK, Nikon DSLR are warranted for 1 year. You can buy the extended warranty within that 1 original year to extend for another 2 years. Your camera has a 1 year warranty regardless if purchased from an authorized dealer or not.

Wrong.

http://www.nikonmall.com/survey/reglookup.aspx

At this time, Nikon does not offer Extended Service Coverage for Nikon professional digital SLR cameras, Nikon Speedlights or Nikon factory-reconditioned (refurbished) products. A 4-Year Nikon Extended Service Coverage is provided free of charge with all NIKKOR AF lenses sold by Nikon Inc.

Back