Why is my Windows 10 loading very, very slow?

Nebell

2[H]4U
When I turn off my computer for the day and come back the next day, it loads literally within a few seconds.
But when I just restart it, it takes forever. About 3 or so minutes. It only happens during the restart.
I tried resetting Windows and it didn't help. I have not tried to completely format the HDD (which seems to be fine after a disk check).

Have you tried
1- just never hitting the restart button and doing a power off power on from now on?
2- looking at the event viewer to seee what’s going on?

Windows 10 uses a hybrid shutdown mode, it's almost like putting the computer to sleep. That is why it wakes up quickly.
But a restart does a proper shutdown and boot up. This may not be the sole cause of what you are experiencing
but you can turn off the funky shut down by going to the following and seeing what effect it has on your computer:

Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Additional Power Settings (On the right side) > Choose What the Power Buttons Do > Click Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable > Then UnCheck Fast Shutdown and Apply if necessary.

Windows 10 uses a hybrid shutdown mode, it's almost like putting the computer to sleep. That is why it wakes up quickly.
But a restart does a proper shutdown and boot up. This may not be the sole cause of what you are experiencing
but you can turn off the funky shut down by going to the following and seeing what effect it has on your computer:

Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Additional Power Settings (On the right side) > Choose What the Power Buttons Do > Click Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable > Then UnCheck Fast Shutdown and Apply if necessary.

This is the most likely explanation. Most people don't know that shutdown on 8 and 10 are basically a sleep/hibernation mode. This has caused issues with my son's Win8 laptop before. It doesn't particularly like sleep and things such as the wireless won't work or don't work properly. It requires an actual restart to get it running correctly again.

Reactions: djoye
like this
I can try, but those tips don't really explain why it's taking minutes to load.
I've had Windows 10 since it was released (basically before it even released) on many different computers and I never experienced this long loading.
I have a fast M.2 drive (Samsung 970 EVO) and my laptop also has Win 10 installed. It doesn't experience the same issue.

I've had Windows 10 since it was released (basically before it even released) on many different computers and I never experienced this long loading.
I have a fast M.2 drive (Samsung 970 EVO) and my laptop also has Win 10 installed. It doesn't experience the same issue.

It is most likely going to be the hard drive then. I would recommend picking up a cheap Sata SSD and using that on the machine instead.

he did explain why, the hybrid shutdown. try turning it off. there is also a "fast boot" option in some bios that can affect it too. test your ssd just to be sure. another thing ive had slowdown my boot times is my ext hdds. it waits at the logon screen while the drives were mounted, i think, it used to do it during the logo before the logon screen. if I disconnect them it goes straight to the desktop, it has gotten much faster though.

To expand on the replies here - you _don't_ want to turn off hybrid shutdown unless you want to check that your "shutdown" behavior becomes the same as "restart".

When you restart the machine, Windows always does a FULL restart.

When you use shutdown, Windows usually does a "hybrid" boot. That is, the already-loaded kernelmode stuff restores from a stored blob of loaded data, then the usermode stuff starts. That is significantly faster, especially on a spinning drive, because it doesn't have to seek all over the drive to load individual files.

Sometimes, it takes less time to backup, redo and restore than to track a problem down. (This solution is OS agnostic)
The OS should never get itself so fked up that that is even needed... ( an end-user sticking his figures in and FUBAR'ing it up beside)...

The OS should never get itself so fked up that that is even needed... ( an end-user sticking his figures in and FUBAR'ing it up beside)...

Yet it happens, no matter the OS. Besides, no one actually determined why the problem had occurred and the time involved was not worth it.

Yet it happens, no matter the OS. Besides, no one actually determined why the problem had occurred and the time involved was not worth it.
its funny that you think that is still valid... short of a HD corruption/crash (or idiot user messing at OS level - themselves, virus etc...) there should be ZERO reason why an OS rot's ... yet this is what windows does and has done since 95. I remember having to re-install every 3-6months because it slowed down with no explanation or no real means to fix it. The kick in the teeth was I paid for the privalege.. I bought every single copy of windows for my custom PC which has evolved over the years (2k, XP, 7) just to be presented with that kind of infrastructure...

My Gentoo install on the contrary has had TWO re-installs...
1) 32bit -> 64bit when I went from P4 to Core2. 64bit is always a rebuild
The Core2 to i7 was change of hardware and the present install just booted. Low level instructions were the same
2) Intel i7 to AMD Ryzen. ASM fundementally different.

In that time I had gone from rotational drives, to SSD to M.2 ... a nice rsync and repoint of grub and all is fine.

There is a word for what you are suffering and that is Stockholm

its funny that you think that is still valid... short of a HD corruption/crash (or idiot user messing at OS level - themselves, virus etc...) there should be ZERO reason why an OS rot's ... yet this is what windows does and has done since 95. I remember having to re-install every 3-6months because it slowed down with no explanation or no real means to fix it. The kick in the teeth was I paid for the privalege.. I bought every single copy of windows for my custom PC which has evolved over the years (2k, XP, 7) just to be presented with that kind of infrastructure...

My Gentoo install on the contrary has had TWO re-installs...
1) 32bit -> 64bit when I went from P4 to Core2. 64bit is always a rebuild
The Core2 to i7 was change of hardware and the present install just booted. Low level instructions were the same
2) Intel i7 to AMD Ryzen. ASM fundementally different.

In that time I had gone from rotational drives, to SSD to M.2 ... a nice rsync and repoint of grub and all is fine.

Here we go, another thread turned into an L vs W crap. Hey OP, please lock this thread, it is going off the rails, like every Windows thread in these here forums. :D

its funny.....

Yep, here you go again, judging the abilities and common sense of others. Whatever, have fun yelling at yourself in the mirror. :D

a double reply... nicely triggered.
You could go full retard and attempt to dismiss my reply because *shock horror* linux was mentioned, but the fact is, this doesn't occur with other OS's... Amiga, Linux, Solaris, OSX. BSD.
It is not acceptable that an OS rots the way windows does and its been doing this for 20 odd years without getting better. But sure carry on accepting that as a viable method without stepping back and wondering is this right

a double reply... nicely triggered.
You could go full retard and attempt to dismiss my reply because *shock horror* linux was mentioned, but the fact is, this doesn't occur with other OS's... Amiga, Linux, Solaris, OSX. BSD.
It is not acceptable that an OS rots the way windows does and its been doing this for 20 odd years without getting better. But sure carry on accepting that as a viable method without stepping back and wondering is this right

1999 is calling, they want their Windows 98 back.

and yet the advice today is EXACTLY that from 1998, 20years later (and this has been like this since 1995)... re-install.

Q.E.D.

just admit it, this OS rot is neither acceptable or zero-sum in time and has been prevalent in windows OS's spanning many decades, many major release, major service packs.

Last edited:
Heh for a moment I thought naib had gone berzerk and was talking to himself, then I realized he was replying to an ignored poster :D

I was going to suggest you clean out your temp files and registry file.. I use Glary Utilities for that but you can use numerous tools to do this. Usually it has to do with browser caches. When ever I see users that have this issue in the company. , i clean out their trash files and it speeds up a little bit. But I see you reformatted and that will always work but then you have to replace all those files and setup settings need tweaking. That is easily 8 hours of work if you have a system like mine.

and yet the advice today is EXACTLY that from 1998, 20years later (and this has been like this since 1995)... re-install.

Q.E.D.

just admit it, this OS rot is neither acceptable or zero-sum in time and has been prevalent in windows OS's spanning many decades, many major release, major service packs.

I am going to say this once and then I am going to let it go: Please show me evidence of this "OS Rot" you speak of in regards to this thread?

why would you need to periodically re-install
I've found that Windows works excellently when you run it as a virtual machine and keep it in stasis 99% of the time you use some other OS. I haven't had much any problems with Windows after I started to resume it only when in need and then wrap it back up.

As a daily driver? Nightmare.

On a related note my auntie has managed to survive almost one week without a serious infection on the Win10 machine I set up for her (her as a non privileged user). Keeping fingers crossed....

why would you need to periodically re-install

You rarely and truly need to do so. However, sometimes, a customers machine can get so badly messed up that a redo and restore is the best option available. (Mac and Linux are the same in this regard.)

Edit: Oops, forgot that I said that was my last post. :D (This is really my last of the last posts, really.)

Last edited:

Q.E.D.

There's always a reason for things. Just because you are not able to properly diagnose and determine the cause does not mean there isn't a specific reason for the issue.

He diagnosed and determined the cause quite accurately. Windows.

So you would find an acceptable answer from your mechanic that the reason your car has a check engine light or makes a strange sound to be:

"Well, it's a Ford." or "Well, its a Honda."

That may be okay with you but don't assume others are as ignorant.

So you would find an acceptable answer from your mechanic that the reason your car has a check engine light or makes a strange sound to be:

except...
tech_company_self_driving_cars.gif

I have done my fair share of repairing windows... (there was a nasty day repairing a win2k machine from the DVD cab files) and when I was a heavy windows user I would be going over doing alot of housekeeping thinks just to keep it in tip top condition (ccleaner et al). I have spent soo much of my time looking at the performance logs to track down why something suddenly start causing slow down...
Simply fact is windows does slow down... OS rot. now if you want and know what you are doing you can keep on top of it, but consider a couple of things
1) There is a reason there is a million and one helper programs to help keep windows in tip top condition. It isn't easy, it isn't transparent AND it is needed
2) Even a corporately locked down machine will start to slow down to painful speed.

Now where I work our windows10 machines are locked down... you can't even launch regedit (IT service cannot even launch it). and yet over time the machines start grinding to a halt and the use cases have not changed: MSOffice and analysis tools for engineers. Productivity is taking a massive hit due to rot

Really?

I've never had to reach such extreme measures running my 'alternate OS of choice'. I install once and it just runs. Swap the drive into new hardware....It just runs. Three years per LTS release is my routine and I never expect to install my OS at any greater frequency, especially due to unresolvable issues.

When Ford design a high output, high boost turbocharged and direct injected engine with an open deck resulting in a magnitude of failed head gaskets due to the cylinders rubbing the gasket out, an issue that is still not fully resolved, you can be sure that sometimes "Well, it's a Ford" is 100% the cause of failure.

As an ex Ford owner...

When it comes to Microsoft or even Apple, sometimes the same case runs true.

When Ford design a high output, high boost turbocharged and direct injected engine with an open deck resulting in a magnitude of failed head gaskets due to the cylinders rubbing the gasket out, an issue that is still not fully resolved, you can be sure that sometimes "Well, it's a Ford" is 100% the cause of failure.

As an ex Ford owner...

Well, at least you are entertaining, I will give you that.

Well, at least you are entertaining, I will give you that.

Yeah, well. When you insist on sticking with an ancient kernel and outdated file system, there's nothing wrong with saying the issue lies squarely with Microsoft.

I would start with USB devices that are connecting and trying to initialize.

As an ex Ford owner...

Same can be said for Mazdas reliable little Renesis. Or how about improper torque specs on headbolts causing HG failures? Or dare we not mention accelerator pedal issues? Even the most as angelic(Toyota) of the automakers has had their blunders.

No company or product is perfect. But if you're going to be critical at least be knowledgeable.

Same can be said for Mazdas reliable little Renesis. Or how about improper torque specs on headbolts causing HG failures? Or dare we not mention accelerator pedal issues? Even the most as angelic(Toyota) of the automakers has had their blunders.

No company or product is perfect. But if you're going to be critical at least be knowledgeable.

Oh, you have no idea just how knowledgeable I am regarding the points you're derailing this thread over.

My point was not to bag out Ford products, my point was not to turn this thread into a discussion of the auto trade. My point was to use a real life example highlighting that there are issues with Windows that Microsoft are accountable for. Both the persistence over the NT kernel and the outdated NTFS file system are two of those examples. Try not to to take things so literally.

Oh, you have no idea just how knowledgeable I am regarding the points you're derailing this thread over.

My point was not to bag out Ford products, my point was not to turn this thread into a discussion of the auto trade. My point was to use a real life example highlighting that there are issues with Windows that Microsoft are accountable for. Both the persistence over the NT kernel and the outdated NTFS file system are two of those examples. Try not to to take things so literally.
My point was to use a simple analogy to show how little sense it makes to be critical of a product by simply pointing fingers at its creator for the reason why It falls short.

My point was to use a simple analogy to show how little sense it makes to be critical of a product by simply pointing fingers at its creator for the reason why It falls short.

Well if the creator of the product had better R&D the product would, overall, be far more reliable. Problems stem from a distinct lack of criticism towards the creator of the product due to rose colored glasses resulting in the inability to face certain realities regarding the creator.

Well if the creator of the product had better R&D the product would, overall, be far more reliable. Problems stem from a distinct lack of criticism towards the creator of the product due to rose colored glasses resulting in the inability to face certain realities regarding the creator.

:rolleyes:

Back