why is my right speaker always louder than my left?

DaRuSsIaMaN

[H]ard|Gawd
I have the balance set to the middle in the windows sound control thingy, and yet i hear the sound a lot more out of the right speaker than the left. Also, if I set the balance completely to the left, the sound is much quieter than if I set it all the way to the right.

It's been like this for a while, actually.

And it doesn't matter what is playing? Is there a fade/balance on the speakers as well? What are the speakers, by the way?

Try switching the speakers to the opposite channels. See if the left speaker still sounds muted when hooked to the right channel. If it does, then you've probably got a bad speaker. If the right speaker sounds muted when hooked to the left channel, maybe it's a cable or sound card problem.

Hope this helps!

Funny, I just got my Beyerdynamic's replaced because one headphone was louder than the other. I thought I was crazy but the nice guy at the GuitarCenter tested them out and agreed they where busted. Even opened up another box for testing before giving it to me.

Recommend a take back.

Thanks for all the replies!

I actually did some real experimenting, and I think I figured it out: it's something with my computer. I unplugged the speakers (they are old logitech z340 btw) and plugged my headphones into the sound card jack, and I got the same result: the sound was louder in my right ear than in my left. And btw, no it doesn't matter what is playing. This happens on both music and games. Then I tried plugging the same speakers into my laptop, and I didn't have the problem. I also tried plugging in the headphones into the laptop and again it was fine. If anything, the sound was slightly louder in my left ear from the laptop.

So.. why would my stupid sound card do that?

Analog components don't last forever. They degrade, but they really shouldn't be degrading as quickly as they are. Get yourself an RMA if you can, because I don't believe there's any possible way it is not due to somewhat faulty hardware.

Make sure all the plugs are plugged into the soundcard as securely as possible. Sometimes I wouldn't push a plug all the way in... this always spelled channel imbalance.

Try it.

Get yourself an RMA if you can, because I don't believe there's any possible way it is not due to somewhat faulty hardware.

Well this sound card is actually quite old. Probably **very** old by computer techies' standards haha. It's a Creative SB512. I got it probably around 2000-2001 lol.

As far as plugging it in securely, I made sure of that (tried it again just now), and it doesn't help. Besides, I've been having this problem for a while now... I couldn't possibly have been plugging it badly this whole time. Unless the sound card itself is not sitting perfectly secure in the motherboard?? Is that even possible? It wouldn't work at all in that case would it?

Right now I'm thinking it's time for a new sound card lol.

It looks like the soundcard is faulty or the drivers are messed up.

i use to use the onboard sound on my old MB, It had a Realtec soundchip. problem with it was that its settings were all over the place and some setting were duplicated. i had a problem with the mic, in the realtec sound properties the mic was unmuted, but it still wouldn't work. after some fiddling I went to the sound propertiees in the control panel and the mic as still muted in there. go thru all you differant setting screens and make sure all the differant setting are set to the middle..

Back