Why is my MX200 doing this?

trparky

Gawd
Why is it doing this? Shouldn't it be a more consistent line and not with all of those huge dips?

Last edited:
I uploaded the image to another location.

HDTune_Benchmark_Crucial_Crucial_CT500_MX2.png

When was the last time it was TRIM'd? (My knowledege is pretty weak when it comes to SSD's so that's all I have to offer)

I cannot comment on the MX200, but this behaviour is observable on a lot of budget SSDs.
The sector ranges that contain actual data have a much slower read speed than the empty (and TRIMmed) space, which basically reads at line speed.
I have seen this on the MX100 as well.

I could not observe it on the 840 Pro for example, not matter how full it was or how much I tried to fragment it internally.

I wouldn't classify a Crucial MX200 a budget SSDs by any stretch of the imagination.

It is a budget drive, although one of the better. The price is comparable to the 840/850 EVO and MX100 drives.

If you look at the better drives like Intel 730 or Samsung 840/850 Pro, those are 50% more expensive.

Have you tried an updated version of HD Tune. That version is 3 versions old.

I did a run on each of my SSD's for comparison. Only one of them had random drops like yours... the most budget one.

http://imgur.com/a/UP5LO

Last edited:
Because HD Tune is a program initially created to benchmark HDD not SSD. Did you try increasing the block size to something like 2 Mo ?

I'm sure your ssd is fine but if you want to be sure, make real tests like coying large files from and to the ssd maybe with a ramdisk if you don't want to be speed limited.

It's funny that people think that benchmarking a drive should always give "the real picture" when it's often not the case. E.g. 840 EVO owners with rapid enabled thinking that everything is blazing fast but in reality (and with the infamous bug) it's much slower, or in OP's case it's the opposite.

Back