Why is my I7 920 running at 1.6 ghz?

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
So here is some info. The rig is in my sig. I installed Win7 SP1 a few days ago. Didn't notice any problems immediately. Today I load up Witcher to play for a bit. Title screen and all were fine, When I load the saved game I get a graphics glitch that completely locks up my system. Little pixelated pink shit all over my screen. So I load up Fear 3. Same thing, title screen and all is fine, load a saved game a blam, same type of graphics lockup. However, I did notice when I loaded the game up there was a windows notice saying something about the color scheme. It disappeared rather quick though. So thinking I might have corrupt drivers or something, I uninstall and driver sweep and install latest drivers. Again, the same glitch in Witcher. So this time I load up Metro 2033. Seems to be running fine, then the game minimizes itself and theres a windows screen that reads "Your system is performing slowly, try changing the color scheme to windows basic instead of aero" Or something to that effect. I closed everything and then loaded up CPUZ to see if everything was in order.

This is when I noticed that my CPU was running at 1.6 ghz instead of the 2.6 it should be. I also just noticed that in CPU-Z the multiplier keeps changing. from x12 to x2 or x3 or x6.5. What in the hell is going on?

So, anyone know what gives or have any advice on whats going on with my system?

Untitle1213d.png

EIST / [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep"]SpeedStep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Your graphics card may be dying.

Well if it's only my graphics card, then why does it look like my CPU is acting funny?

And if it IS my graphics card dying, how can I make sure it is? Right now it seems like only 3d rendering is causing the lockup.

Well if it's only my graphics card, then why does it look like my CPU is acting funny?

And if it IS my graphics card dying, how can I make sure it is? Right now it seems like only 3d rendering is causing the lockup.

Your CPU is just utilizing EIST. That's normal. Try running something that stresses the CPU then check CPUID, you should notice higher clocks.

Video card is going bad because of the symptoms you are describing. Once the GPU gets loaded, boom crash.

If running something that only stresses the CPU crashes the computer, then you'll know the CPU isn't stable and could possibly be the problem instead of the GPU.

Well I'm back to running games again.

So it seems these problems are intermittent. Odd...

Well I'm back to running games again without a lockup

So it seems these problems are intermittent. Odd...

I've had some issues with games that want to try and disable Aero when they launch. I'm not sure why, but I think it had something to do with Vista. That's caused some problems, but probably not what your describing. Is it happening again? Or did it just do it once?

Weird I've never seen my CPU throttle down like this before when I was using it on my EVGA X58 mobo and overclocking the CPU.

So how do I got about disabling this feature? That makes testing OC settings a little tricky haha.

Don't disable the feature, just run something to put load on the CPU. If you're testing an overclock, chances are you're using Prime95 anyways.

Is this a feature of the CPU or the Motherboard?

Cause I swear my CPU never did this before on my old board.

The implementation of SpeedStep as used on the early i7 CPUs can contribute to stability issues, especially if it fluctuates so much even during load.

Is this a feature of the CPU or the Motherboard?

Cause I swear my CPU never did this before on my old board.
EIST/SpeedStep are features of the CPU.

When you overclock the CPU, you explicitly define its clock speed. This might have disabled EIST.

Bottom line is don't worry about it.

Back