Why is my download speed slow?

Undercover_Man

[H]ard Surgeon
Hello. I was wondering if my internet is slow so I checked out Speedtest.net and they say
709024083.png

Our computers are connected through a Trendnet TEW-431 BRP router.

We also have Comcast Cable. Apparently there are two packages and the first gives us 12Mb/s and the second 16Mb/s.

I'm not sure which package we are supposed to have, however, whichever one we are *supposed* to have, what this test shows is that we aren't getting the download speed we are supposed to get for even the first package.

I also don't know if the 62ms ping is good or bad.

I am using on board LAN on this computer. No one else is using the internet on any of the other computers ATM either.

Is there a big difference between 9Mb/s and 12Mb/s? Or even 16Mb/s? Why aren't I getting even the lowest quoted download speed? Is there something I can check and/or change or maybe upgrade? :confused:

First, call Comcast or look on your bill to see what you're paying for. All this is speculation until we know that.

Second, do a hard reboot of your modem and plug a PC directly into it without the router in the chain. Do a speedtest then.

Get back to us once this is done. As far as their being a difference between 9Mb/s and 12Mb/s.. yes, of course there is a difference. Its 3Mb/s...

any bandwidth claims by comcast (12mbit or 16mbit) are maximum, "best case scenario" numbers. they expressly do not guarantee any type of speed. read your user agreement. think of it as a speed cap, instead of a minimum speed. they do their best to offer you up to the advertised speed.

your mileage will vary with the server you are connecting to. that has more to do with speed then anything. it has everything to do with the route your data takes over which network segments. just because speedtest.com says you are getting 9mbits doesnt mean anywhere else on the internet will be the same speed.

a 100 megabit connection means nothing if the computer over the network you are trying to connect to is on 56k dialup. its going to be as slow as the slowest network segment.

Just from finding a picture of that router I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it is actually holding you back a bit.

Try as criccio suggested:

1) Unplug your modem and router, leaving both unplugged for now.
2) Turn off your computer.
3) Plug the network cable from your computer directly into the cable modem's network jack.
4) Wait for five minutes and then, with your PC off, plug your modem back in.
5) When the lights on the modem are stable, turn your computer back on and allow it to boot.

You should be able to access the internet so go ahead and test your speed again.

IF your speed has improved, your router is likely simply too old and unable to keep up with your service's top rated speed.

To reverse this --- turn everything off again and put everything back the way it was, wait five minutes and then plug in your cable modem first then router.

Hello. I was wondering if my internet is slow so I checked out Speedtest.net and they say
709024083.png

Our computers are connected through a Trendnet TEW-431 BRP router.

We also have Comcast Cable. Apparently there are two packages and the first gives us 12Mb/s and the second 16Mb/s.

I'm not sure which package we are supposed to have, however, whichever one we are *supposed* to have, what this test shows is that we aren't getting the download speed we are supposed to get for even the first package.

I also don't know if the 62ms ping is good or bad.

I am using on board LAN on this computer. No one else is using the internet on any of the other computers ATM either.

Is there a big difference between 9Mb/s and 12Mb/s? Or even 16Mb/s? Why aren't I getting even the lowest quoted download speed? Is there something I can check and/or change or maybe upgrade? :confused:

your ping seems high. on my laptop with a server 100 miles away i am pinging at 30ms.

also were you the only one using the internet when you tested?

wow this is an old thread!!!

Last edited:
Yeah your ping is high, and also did you try a few different servers. Many of them are always overloaded and you have to mess around testing a few times.

If all you're doing is surfing the web you won't notice a difference between 9,12,16,etc. But when you are downloading files you most certainly will. You'll notice it in large image searching, youtube, heavy web pages and things like that.

I'd focus on lowering that ping.

**nvm old thread!

Last edited:
Back