Why is my CPU fan spinning up now?

Compddd

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm running a 4790k with a Noctua HSF. I used to have a regular GTX 980 and I would never hear the CPU fan spin up.

I recently switched to a GTX 980 Ti and now I can hear my CPU fan spin up when opening email, deleting lots of files, etc.

I'm scratching my head and don't know what would cause that? I haven't changed any BIOS settings or anything else except swapping in a new GPU.

Both the 980 and 980 Ti were blower coolers.

I have an FT05 so it's positive pressure, and DEMCiflex filters on the intake vents, so not much dust gets in.

I opened it up and blew off the HSF and fan anyway and it seems to be back to normal, thanks man!

Motherboard is Asus Z97-AR

980 was a reference, the 980 Ti is a reference too.

It just doesn't make sense, I used canned air on the HSF back on 6/27 and that fixed it, but it's back now all of a sudden. I have really good dust filters on my case and it's positive pressure, there's no way enough dust could have built up, let alone gotten inside the case in 5 days to make it go back to spinning up.

Do you watch your cpu temps and core usage? Is there something else going on in the background?

I've had the rig since March this year, not once did the CPU fan ever spin up during tasks like opening email, Excel etc. I moved from a condo to a house beginning of June, everything was fine up until about a week ago when the CPU fan started spinning up when opening email, deleting large files, etc

Basically anything that puts a slight load on the CPU makes the fan spin up now. It never did that before. Just scratching my head as to why.

There's always the option of setting silent mode for the cpu fan header in the BIOS or using Asus Fan Xpert, for now.

Seems like a lot of other people have problems with increased CPU fan speed when using 8.1

There's always the option of setting silent mode for the cpu fan header in the BIOS or using Asus Fan Xpert, for now.

Tried the silent mode, didn't help. Still no explanation why it would do this all of a sudden. Oh well I give up.

Unless it's the windows 8.1 thing, it's probably one of those AHA things when you figure out. summer window cracked open, heat lamp, vaporizer,

It was fine from 6/27 until today. Only thing that changed is I messed around in Task Scheduler last night in admin tools, trying to make it so maintenance didn't run all the time, and turned off wake timers in Power Options.

Not sure how those could affect the CPU fan spinning up, but it's the only thing that's changed.

It was fine from 6/27 until today. Only thing that changed is I messed around in Task Scheduler last night in admin tools, trying to make it so maintenance didn't run all the time, and turned off wake timers in Power Options.

Not sure how those could affect the CPU fan spinning up, but it's the only thing that's changed.

Buy an external fan controller so you don't have to use the wonky one that you have.

Back