Why is my BIOS showing two operating systems?

Blown 89

2[H]4U
My first load of XP Home on a new system failed so I had to reformat and load it again. After the second load the BIOS asks me to chose between two operating systems at start up. What's going on and how do I fix it?

You obviously never really formatted and reinstalled successfully. You've put XP on twice, thuse the dual boot menu. It ain't BIOS ;)

I slid in the XP disc, booted the XP setup and selected the full format option (took 2.5 hours) on the only drive I have hooked up to it at the moment. On the C drive I only have one windows directory and the entire load takes up 3.06 GB. If you chose the second OS option it gives an NTDRL error.

I edited the boot.ini file to only show one operating system. If there's another one on there how would I go about finding it so I can delete it and set up an OS properly?

Just for the record: Your Bios does not hold ANY operating system information at all. Ever. Unless you have a BiosRom with OS right on it (like Amiga or Atari ST etc.).

The Boot information is stored in the bootsector of your harddrive.

ok, go to start>run> type in msconfig and hit enter

go to boot.ini tab at the top, and then click the "check all boot paths" button below the text area. that ought to make fixy.

Back