Why is Microcenter scalping people.

The people in this thread arguing over what constitutes as "luxury". What the actual fuck.

Nearly everything in your life is non-essential. I hate to break it to you but the cold hard ground, food, water, and oxygen is technically all you need to survive. The same people that argue that dedicated GPUs are a "luxury" item as if that statement justifies a bunch of immoral business practices should have their homes, cars, and clothes priced out of their budget, since those are all luxury items as well.

Yeah, people even used that crap to say someone should not buy a video card to replace a dead one but, they should buy a cheap, piece of crap laptop?

Shelter is necessary, a brand new stupid big home isn't. Brand new stupid big homes are expensive, and way outside my budget.

Yeah well, you might as well buy some shelter house up the woods and live there. Cheap and not luxury after all. Some of these "luxury" things are objectively much more useful for your life than a video card you use to play couple stupid games. Such as a car or a house. Life is too short to live like a hobo. Just my 2c.

Yeah well, you might as well buy some shelter house up the woods and live there. Cheap and not luxury after all. Some of these "luxury" things are objectively much more useful for your life than a video card you use to play couple stupid games. Such as a car or a house. Life is too short to live like a hobo. Just my 2c.

Oh really? LOL! You 2c looks to be pretty rusted, in so far as your opinion on video cards and games go.

Oh really? LOL! You 2c looks to be pretty rusted, in so far as your opinion on video cards and games go.

Yes, really. I'm not sorry to break your bubble, but at this time and date, you can buy a nice car for the money some people here are shelling for multiple of these GPUs. I suppose these modern day games cut it for you, but I'm mostly not that braindead.

Yes, really. I'm not sorry to break your bubble, but at this time and date, you can buy a nice car for the money some people here are shelling for multiple of these GPUs. I suppose these modern day games cut it for you, but I'm mostly not that braindead.

Nah, your rusted 2c is only good for you, you go ahead and keep it. :) As far as getting good cars today for what you spend on a GPU? Good luck with that. As for being braindead, who cares? Last time I checked, what you decide to spend your money on and what someone else decides to spend their money on is not the same. If I knew what you spent your money on, I am sure I could see something that in my opinion, would be a really bad decision.

I will say it again, if someone's card is dead and they need a new one, it is a much better investment than anything else that has been suggested in this thread.

Nah, your rusted 2c is only good for you, you go ahead and keep it. :) As far as getting good cars today for what you spend on a GPU? Good luck with that. As for being braindead, who cares? Last time I checked, what you decide to spend your money on and what someone else decides to spend their money on is not the same. If I knew what you spent your money on, I am sure I could see something that in my opinion, would be a really bad decision.

I will say it again, if someone's card is dead and they need a new one, it is a much better investment than anything else that has been suggested in this thread.

I've seen people buy like 8 high end cards right away just on this forum, and yes you can buy a good modern age car with that kind of cash. As a matter of fact, as long as there will be people comfortable with blowing $2k on a GPU actually worth quarter of that, these prices might as well stay this way.

More so, why are you coming up with that "dead card" analogy? It's not like all these people are replacing their cards because they're dead. That's a lot more rare occasion than wanting to upgrade. If your card is dead, you also don't need a cheap laptop for the PC to keep going. You could just buy something cheap or use onboard. Alternatives exist for that. I've also seen people do that during these troubled times.

I've seen people buy like 8 high end cards right away just on this forum, and yes you can buy a good modern age car with that kind of cash. As a matter of fact, as long as there will be people comfortable with blowing $2k on a GPU actually worth quarter of that, these prices might as well stay this way.

More so, why are you coming up with that "dead card" analogy? It's not like all these people are replacing their cards because they're dead. That's a lot more rare occasion than wanting to upgrade. If your card is dead, you also don't need a cheap laptop for the PC to keep going. You could just buy something cheap or use onboard. Alternatives exist for that. I've also seen people do that during these troubled times.

The dead card is not an analogy, it is exactly my point in this thread. You should read the suggestions given for that, like buying a crap laptop instead.

We still have tariffs in place. This probably adds 20% to the price once you include mark-up. Also Asia is still experiencing chip and component shortages. This has driven up the prices on those parts.

If it's what you can afford, hell yeah. Which is my point. Anything above what you need is a luxury, especially if it's more than you would usually budget for such an item. Whether that's a house or a car or a gpu. That doesn't mean you shouldn't spend the money, or that it should cost as much as it does. It is what it is.

I just got a Aorus Master 3080ti from MC in Chicago yesterday as an open box at $1439 before taxes. They had a few 3080 ti and a few 3090 as well. I originally went to the Westmount location as I purchased an overpriced MSI Ventus 3080 ti at $1729 last week. I went to the Chicago store just for the hell of it and it was worth the 1 hour trip to get there, thanks to the heavy traffic.

I did want to comment on the whole "greed" part that some people are complaining about. You want to point fingers, start pointing them at the people that use the Covid 19 as an excuse to not go back to work. I work at Rockwell Automation and we are struggling to get people that actually give a damn about working there. Alot of the people we hired, end up quitting because they feel they should get paid to stand around and chit chat all day. I was at one point working 60 hours a week, with only Sunday off. I'm now working only 58 hours a week because I transfer to another department.

WE CAN'T GET PARTS to build our drives!! I just want to make sure some people understand that part of why we are struggling. This goes back to getting people that actually want to work. Companies that can't get people to hire to work means we are force to wait on parts. Demand is also outpacing what we can produce, as we just recently score a contract with Amazon to build drives for their automated systems. Some of you people have zero clues about how bad of a shape the manufacturing industry is in.

IMG_0238.JPG

Last edited:
I just got a Aorus Master 3080ti from MC in Chicago yesterday as an open box at $1439 before taxes. They had a few 3080 ti and a few 3090 as well. I originally went to the Westmount location as I purchased an overpriced MSI Ventus 3080 ti at $1729 last week. I went to the Chicago store just for the hell of it and it was worth the 1 hour trip to get there, thanks to the heavy traffic.

I did want to comment on the whole "greed" part that some people are complaining about. You want to point fingers, start pointing them at the people that use the Covid 19 as an excuse to not go back to work. I work at Rockwell Automation and we are struggling to get people that actually give a damn about working there. Alot of the people we hired, end up quitting because they feel they should get paid to stand around and chit chat all day. I was at one point working 60 hours a week, with only Sunday off. I'm now working only 58 hours a week because I transfer to another department.

WE CAN'T GET PARTS to build our drives!! I just want to make sure some people understand that part of why we are struggling. This goes back to getting people that actually want to work. Companies that can't get people to hire to work means we are force to wait on parts. Demand is also outpacing what we can produce, as we just recently score a contract with Amazon to build drives for their automated systems. Some of you people have zero clues about how bad of a shape the manufacturing industry is in.

View attachment 387523

It is still greed, regardless, when it comes to GPU's, since the example you are giving is not an across the globe issue.

It is still greed, regardless, when it comes to GPU's, since the example you are giving is not an across the globe issue.
It is a global issue. Where do you think we get our parts from? We get them from Mostly from China, SE Asia, other parts in the U.S, and Mexico. You think me and everyone else in this industry like working 60 hours+ a week??

View attachment 387523
You guys still stocking retro encabulators?

It is a global issue. Where do you think we get our parts from? We get them from Mostly from China, SE Asia, other parts in the U.S, and Mexico. You think me and everyone else in this industry like working 60 hours+ a week??

I'm going to say this, in addition to what he said. Appliance's were raised 5-10 percent in the month of August. Side note, QC has been garbage in the last year.

Last edited:

I've seen this mindset elsewhere and sadly I think it's outdated. If you were forced out of work due to government mandates and then paid more than you were earning to begin with in unemployment, then add in stimulus checks, why would anyone be motivated to work anymore after a year of that? Then add in PPP "loans" (loans were forgiven, income wasn't taxable) and you have a lot of extra money for a lot of people and not much work being done, leading to the inflation we're seeing now. Which makes you even less motivated to go back to work.

And yet he cited the issue and people who do not want to work so, your point?

Edit: So no, the lazy stuff is not a global issue, not in the fashion that you are he are citing it as.

as i to covid and people not wanting to work up here in early days you get a free $11,500 check or got homeless people who haven't even had jobs in past 30 yrs got these handed to them. the govt organization's that help homeless are ones that assisted them getting these checks, in 2020-2021 it was better to be homeless and jobless then to be a working stiff 9-5.

as i to covid and people not wanting to work up here in early days you get a free $11,500 check or got homeless people who haven't even had jobs in past 30 yrs got these handed to them. the govt organization's that help homeless are ones that assisted them getting these checks, in 2020-2021 it was better to be homeless and jobless then to be a working stiff 9-5.
You can work 40 hours or more a week for 100% of your salary or ZERO hours a week for 90% of your salary. A lot of people did the math and stayed home. I know a few employers that are paying people just to show up for a job interview. They are that desperate for workers.

I don't know if it's true. I've heard that some people who were out of work, either voluntarily or not, have not been making house payments for over a year. Since they were out, supposedly due to covid, they are expecting that they will be bailed out or at least given a pass by the bank on those missed payments. Beyond the fact that is laziness because somebody somewhere would end up paying the bill and those costs will be passed on it seems incredibly risky to me. I suppose if you have zero equity and don't care about your credit maybe it's worth the risk to some people.

Regarding GPU sales and greed, it makes me wonder if AMD is selling their reference cards at a loss then on the store? They are still selling for retail. Granted, you have a huge amount of people showing up for their sales events and joining the queue of which very few people end up getting what they want, but of those few units that do get sold it makes me wonder if they even turn a profit.

Regarding GPU sales and greed, it makes me wonder if AMD is selling their reference cards at a loss then on the store?

I have tried to get an 6700XT from the AMD store for months, and I can tell you that the price here in Europe has gone up around 50 € in that time (from around 440€ to 490€ now) they might not make a ton, but seeing they kleep increasing the price they must at least be trying to make money on them.

I've tried 3 times now to get something at their sales event and so far have been unsuccessful. If you want a 6800 or better then you will need to be let into the store from the queue within 4 minutes or less to have a chance. Ideally, 2 minutes or less.

So far my lowest wait time has been around 7 minutes which is not going to cut it.

Last Thursday someone got a 6800xt on the discord channel I'm in and said it was like winning the lottery. I think your odds may be a little bit better than the lottery but by how much? Probably not a lot. :-/

You can easily buy a 6800xt right now unfortunately it will not be a reference model and will cost $1300 usd or more. At that price those cards are staying in stock longer now which is a good thing. Still, far too much over a reference msrp model to be worth it.

My wife worked through the first lock down of covid and for what? Her friends and neighbors sat home and enjoyed unemployment plus made more money. She finally did the same for about 5 weeks -- the part that surprised me more then anything is the power of routine. I think most of us can agree we hate our jobs -- but when you have a routine to get up, shower, and goto work without even thinking about it... Then suddenly you dont have to work and make more money... Even when the money stops coming your routine is broken and its something a lot of people have struggled to overcome. The people that i personally know just went from two incomes to one income and a spouse basically decided to not rejoin the workforce.

Back