Why is Microcenter scalping people.

I just sent a complaint to Powercolor for their prices at Microcenter. I suggest you all do the same too.

I have purchased several products from Powercolor and I will NEVER ever in my life buy anything from Powercolor.

The scalping needs to stop. Its everywhere now, ebay AiO's retailers, they are all a bunch assholes that take advantage of this situation.

And the people who cryptomine that caused all of this crap in the first place, are damned fools, the cryptocurrency will crash its only inevitable.

Everything is very expensive now. Food, Gas. Who can afford to do anything anymore. And after over a year we are just now coming free now from the virus crap. I am just tired of all the bullshit right now.

I just sent a complaint to Powercolor for their prices at Microcenter. I suggest you all do the same too.

I have purchased several products from Powercolor and I will NEVER ever in my life buy anything from Powercolor.

The scalping needs to stop. Its everywhere now, ebay AiO's retailers, they are all a bunch assholes that take advantage of this situation.

And the people who cryptomine that caused all of this crap in the first place, are damned fools, the cryptocurrency will crash its only inevitable.

Everything is very expensive now. Food, Gas. Who can afford to do anything anymore. And after over a year we are just now coming free now from the virus crap. I am just tired of all the bullshit right now.

"Three great forces rule the world: stupidity, fear and greed" - Albert Einstein.

As fear takes over from greed in the financial world, markets are gyrating wildly with no apparent end in sight.

I feel there is a lot information about the whole assembly line and cost we are missing. While price rises absolutely suck, it is a luxury item. With the chip shortage I assume volume is low and also projected sales is low. So the price raise to attempt to meet sales projections makes sense, as does your response of spending what and where you want.

It is interesting though that since nvidia does have the fe's that are ocasionally going out for retail that in a way its making amd look bad. But the Nvidia oem market is just as jacked up.

PLEASE STOP SAYING THAT!!!
gpu is nt a luxury item!!!!

It absolutely is. Any gpu that starts costing over 25% the tier below it for sub 10% the gains in performance is pure big epeen luxury. That's what being [h] is about. How is an item meant to get faster frame rates in a video game if that's what you are doing not a luxury?

I do agree if a miner argues thst it's not a luxury cause it's how they make a living, but guess what it's the wild west for them so my sympathy goes about as far as a kitten can pee.

just wait until car prices do the same. Will be very interesting to watch what happens and remember ... never say never ;)
God I hope not. I just leased a BMW M340i. If car prices follow the trends of GPU prices, I may decide to just buy it outright, as new cars will be more expensive and have less power/luxury.

PLEASE STOP SAYING THAT!!!
gpu is nt a luxury item!!!!
Let's be legit here. No one NEEDS a discrete video card. You need food, shelter, clothing. Anything above and beyond is considered a luxury.

If we want to go the cost route, when a cards MSRP is the same as the cost of an entire mid range OEM PC, it's a luxury item.

No one NEEDS a system that plays the newest games at 4k ultra. It's luxury.

So, how much are they going for these days, "pee-pole?"

tosgamer auntjemima Criticalhitkoala A gpu isn't supposed to be a luxury they made it to be!! A xx60 card is supposed to be 200 us dollars, mate! If scalpers started scalping gpus, that's sour, but that doesn't make a gpu into a luxury item. No one is talking about 4k ultra extra oh my gaming quality 300fps!! Whatever. Maybe a vacuum cleaner is a luxury item next? Well bloody hell, use a broom, aye?

Toodle pip!!
I think you have a misunderstanding on what a luxury item is and are looking at this entirely wrong. A $200 xx60 GPU is a luxury item. Not because its a "lower end model" in the world of GPU's but because its a GPU. Period.

Also I think the OP has a misunderstanding of supply and demand and market price.

I returned a $939.00 6700xt and bought an $890 3080 FTW3 Ultra. I don't get why the AMD cards are skyhigh but not the 3080. This was at the Microcenter in Duluth GA last saturday. I ran out of that store like I struck a gold mine.

tosgamer auntjemima Criticalhitkoala A gpu isn't supposed to be a luxury they made it to be!! A xx60 card is supposed to be 200 us dollars, mate! If scalpers started scalping gpus, that's sour, but that doesn't make a gpu into a luxury item. No one is talking about 4k ultra extra oh my gaming quality 300fps!! Whatever. Maybe a vacuum cleaner is a luxury item next? Well bloody hell, use a broom, aye?

Toodle pip!!
Sorry sis, but I use a broom alllll day long.

Toodle pip!!
A vacuum totally can be a luxury item. A Dyson over a Hoover or a Black and Decker sure is. The purist could even argue like you mentioned that Broom is more than enough, but there's even luxury brooms.

I disagree with you saying "They made it to be". I think everyone involved is part of the situation (not blame). Demand outweighs supply, and prices are adjusted for it. I don't disagree with your emotions behind it, but there isn't a hard lock on what prices are suppose to be. Of course there is our expectations as consumers that prices stay low, but unless it's Costco hotdogs and soda combo, that's completely not realistic. Hell a 5800x should be $399 cause the 3800x was, but all of the 5 series was increased in price. Sadly the prices have increase, and also people are willing to pay the prices. The price creep has been there for a while, and will keep going up. Sadly the reality is if one can't afford it, maybe they can do without? It's truly shocking when you realize these prices are consistent world wide, so a person in Latin America, or the more third world European/Asian countries would literally have to pay a half years salary to afford a 3080ti or 3090.

Something I highly suggest people get used to is buy used, just like Cars. The market the last year was crappy, but if you are comfortable with a tier down and also managing your expectations and being patient, you can easily score a 60 series for sub $200. Now with the UK and China cracking down on Crypto it might literally be a haven to get 2 series 60 and 70 cards for a bargain price.

Anyone who has taken macro and micro economics understands why prices are the way they are. Economic supply and demand are simply natural laws being applied to goods and services. It might be unfair but who said life is fair, Mother Nature certainly didn’t. Now I don’t say these things to make anyone mad....I know it sucks not having the financial ability to overcome the price hikes...I’m still sitting on a 960 waiting for prices to go down. But constantly complaining about it must be so tiring.

Every gpu discussion inevitably turns into a "this is why gpus are so expensive blehhhhh." Just poke my eyes out with a sharp stick please.
Blah blah blah, boring boring oft repeated conjecture were all soooo sick of hearing.

So! Heres my take. You may not like it so be prepared.

This shit has nothing to do with supply and demand, shortages, crypto or supply chain. Its called GREED. Plain and simple greed. These greedy -insert favorite expletive- have made more gpus(and money) this year than they ever have to date(Feel free to correct me if im wrong). You can try to excuse it away anyhow you choose to but it doesnt change anything. "No no no,! I didnt get poked in the pooper when i bought my $2000 gpu! Its just supply and demand!" Thats truly funny shit. The way we justify what we buy.
These investor driven soulless companies saw an opportunity to take advantage of the consumer and have done so at every turn. The VERY moment they were given an excuse to jack up prices they took it, compounded it and ran with it. The same DAY a story or stories were released as to why prices MIGHT be rising they immediately imposed increases. Truthful or not they didnt care, they simply made it true by force feeding consumers price increases. It had to be true then right!?!
Thats called greed. Nothing more nothing less. So please, do us all a favor and call it what it is once and for all. Stop trying to justify your purchase with this weak ass supply and demand shit. Nobody's buying it.

Edit- Im talking about AIBs.

Last edited:
Every gpu discussion inevitably turns into a "this is why gpus are so expensive blehhhhh." Just poke my eyes out with a sharp stick please.
Blah blah blah, boring boring oft repeated conjecture were all soooo sick of hearing.

This shit has nothing to do with supply and demand, shortages, crypto or supply chain. Its called GREED. Plain and simple greed. These greedy -insert favorite expletive- have made more gpus(and money) this year than they ever have to date(Feel free to correct me if im wrong). You can try to excuse it away anyhow you choose to but it doesnt change anything. "No no no,! I didnt get poked in the pooper when i bought my $2000 gpu! Its just supply and demand!" Thats truly funny shit. The way we justify what we buy.
These investor driven soulless companies saw an opportunity to take advantage of the consumer and have done so at every turn. The VERY moment they were given an excuse to jack up prices they took it, compounded it and ran with it. The same DAY a story or stories were released as to why prices MIGHT be rising they immediately imposed increases. Truthful or not they didnt care, they simply made it true by force feeding consumers price increases. It had to be true then right!?!
Thats called greed. Nothing more nothing less. So please, do us all a favor and call it what it is once and for all. Stop trying to justify your purchase with this weak ass supply and demand shit. Nobody's buying it.

Let's entertain your post. I find it really irrational and more emotional, but let's say you are right. I tried doing a search where 2021 more video cards were made or sold this year than any other year, and found a HUGE deluge of the opposite. Would you mind linking to where you see these bigger profits and sales? When I did look, there is a bunch of articles about a physical shortage, that these shortages due to a pandemic preventing people from working, and it's not just affecting video cards, but things like cars. Now mixed with demand created by people being home and saying "You know what, I have time and money given to me by my government, let's buy some video cards" and also a really insanely inflated crypto market, there's a huge demand from a whole boat load of users.

This isn't to defend companies, Greed is obviously a potential issue. I'm an Intel fan boy but it was obvious Intel got Greedy post Sandy/Haswell with their cpus until Dr. Su kicked their asses into reality a few years ago. But, gotta do Occam's Razor here, the more obvious answer might be the right one. Many articles talking about shortages, shortages affecting multip[le industries like even the used Car Market. Are you suggesting that Nvidia and AMD is pulling a DeBeers? Instead of greed, I think they are profit oriented, and if the consumer responds more with buying then they made the right choice.. For every 1 complainer, you have a boat load of satisifed people who aren't venting but just enjoying their games. I think the major thing that goes against what you are saying is that many to all video cards on the market, including those purchased years ago by retailers/etc were off the shelf. It's not like AMD/Nvidia was doing buy back, it was the consumers who wanted each and every card. If Nvidia and Amd were sitting on a nest egg of parts like you suggest, they would rather their newer stock sold than older stock that was already purchased imho.

When you wrote "No no no,! I didnt get poked in the pooper when i bought my $2000 gpu! Its just supply and demand!", why do you care what another person decides to spend on their video card or how they justify it anyways? This is [H], and going hard on pc parts meant some of the members had insane cost for their builds. If someone is fine buying a $2000 card cause that's what it cost, and they are happy with it, then it is their demand and they paid to be supplied. Simple as that.

I remember our local store got 6900xt cards in stock for $999 about a week before Christmas. I almost got one but thought wow I don't want to pay MSRP! Now look at them! Especially the range in the liquid devil series. Now they have their voucher lines that run for 30 minutes starting at 0900 and ending at 0930. Could you imagine if someone hacked their site showing all stores have 50 3090s each with a banner showing first come first served, unavailable online? Ever see the movie Jingle All The Way? I'm thinking it would be like that. :-D

Personally, I am fine with them raising the MSRP to the point that the scalpers cant make a sale with any profit. I would rather walk into a microcenter, bestbuy, etc and see cards in stock any given day then what we are experiencing now. I sold my 1080ti for $350 when i saw 3080 performance leaks. I was going to get me a new card, but i couldnt. Then AMD launched, i tried really hard -- still could not get one. Now these cards are being sold by scalpers for more then I paid for my car.

At the end of tthe day, i am not paying $1000+ for a video card but if someone is going to sell it for that price id rather the money go to the manufacture and retailer. Not some John doe. I also agree, they could of done a better job with a lottery system then just selling to the bots.

I know no one wants to hear this, and I hate it also, but this is how supply and demand is supposed to work. certain things like staple goods, are artificially controlled (which is for the best as a whole imo, I'm sure farmers et al would disagree).

also the china tariffs

Last edited:
I've breezed through some of the replies, but has anyone mentioned the fact that the value of the dollar is simply tanking?

I am actually surprised MC isn't jacking up the prices on current gen hardware. They did go ham with it last time around with 10xx cards.

I've breezed through some of the replies, but has anyone mentioned the fact that the value of the dollar is simply tanking?
It hasn't tanked hard yet. I notice my groceries bill going up every month. Take out places are raising prices almost weekly at this point. Gas has been getting a little cheaper til this week. We going to get hit hard with soon no doubt.

The resellers and AIBs aren't scalping, they're charging the new, going price for cards. The sooner people wake up to the fact that $1000 is the baseline for an enthusiast cards now and going forward the happier they'll be (and people can decide whether or not they want to pay that... I don't). nVidia has been pushing every button in the book since 2014 to get to this point and now market conditions have given them a giant gift to raise prices.

But they don't want to peeve gamers too much by outright raising "MSRP" which is why the FEs exist. These FE and other unicorn cards sold at MSRP exist now primarily as a tool to keep a lower, more palatable price in the consumer consciousness. FEs are the 55" 4k OLED advertised on Black Friday of which Best Buy has four in stock; they're the base sticker price on a car to get you on the lot before you accept paying 30% more for the extras.

Last edited:
Supply and demand.

Edit- Im talking about AIBs.

Nothing you say bears any evidence against supply and demand. just calling something greed because its expensive by some arbitrary subject rules does not diminish the fact that this is how supply and demand works.
Nobody is justifying the prices or saying it OK. explaining the reason for something is not the same as excusing it.
Everything else you are saying in you second part is basically just explaining how supply and demand works...

Maybe you should understand what the terms covers so you dont get upset when people call it what it is.

Every thursday seems to be "restock day" on amd's resale site... so if you want MSRP prices on all their items I suggest you check on that site periodically today. Scored a 6700xt for 479 last week thrusday and they had EVERYTHING instock from all their cpu's and all their gpus..... for about 5 mins

The resellers and AIBs aren't scalping, they're charging the new, going price for cards. The sooner people wake up to the fact that $1000 is the baseline for an enthusiast cards now and going forward the happier they'll be. nVidia has been pushing every button in the book since 2014 to get to this point and now market conditions have given them a giant gift to raise prices.

But they don't want to peeve gamers too much by outright raising "MSRP" which is why the FEs exist. These FE and other unicorn cards sold at MSRP exist now primarily as a tool to keep a lower, more palatable price in the consumer consciousness. FEs are the 55" 4k OLED advertised on Black Friday of which Best Buy has four in stock; they're the base sticker price on a car to get you on the lot before you accept paying 30% more for the extras.
To be fair there has never been a Black Friday deal on OLEDs. BF is for garbage TV sales.

God I hope not. I just leased a BMW M340i. If car prices follow the trends of GPU prices, I may decide to just buy it outright, as new cars will be more expensive and have less power/luxury.
I hear ya. My lease is up next year and while I love the vehicle I am not sure how reliable it is long term as they have only been for sale in the states for about four years. However, with car prices being what they are, I may just buy it.

To be fair there has never been a Black Friday deal on OLEDs. BF is for garbage TV sales.
To be fair, I paid $1800 for My CX 55" brand new, and the price has come down $500 since I bought it... I don't feel ripped off at all. Best display I've ever purchased.

Last edited:
i myself paid well above msrp for my 3090FE i stated in that one thread. we dont like the fact prices re so super high but this is only gettign worse as the first round of scalping the retailers were not getting the profit the scalpers were they are now gettin in on the free money. look at Israel for isntanse they had they gpu shipments before anyone else and sold them well above stated prices,

that was the catlyst for others like newegg,microcenter, amazon to get on bandwagon. i was lucky to get my 5950x at msrp i waited 3-4 months on a list if one arrives ill buy instantly. i want a new hdmi 2.1 ready tv but lg is not selling the 2021 here in canada or irs the older one with same name. the 48" one would be great but ill wait till the 2019 supply dries up and they have adequate supply of the 2021 models.

I think part of the problem is that inflation isn't isolated to one or two countries right now. Everyone basically is trying to print their way out of this mess so relatively speaking the currencies aren't devalued against each other as much as they might otherwise be. Canada is printing more than us and other countries less, but we're basically all inflating away our currency's value. The problem though with these policies, and there's some interesting studies on this, is that the money is not injected evenly. It's much easier to give a trillion dollars to a few banks to buy assets than it is to write stimulus checks to hundreds of millions of people accurately. So this explains, I think, why we're seeing asset prices go up but the dollar hasn't tanked against other currencies. The China tariffs also compound the problem for a lot of items such as GPUs.

Anyway, good news is that I visit microcenter regularly and after prices on AMD cards went up availability got much better and now they're sitting on a glut of cards so they'll probably start dropping prices soon. I'm even seeing Nvidia cards sit on shelves at this point so things should drop somewhat.

I don't think we'll see cards at the old MSRP prices anytime soon, if ever, but hopefully the $2600 6900xts will drop to something more like $1500.

like most retailers isnt it razor thin. i know aibs get maybe 1-2% but that was from old days i didnt think that was possible seemed way to low to even consider getting into the market.

like most retailers isnt it razor thin. i know aibs get maybe 1-2% but that was from old days i didnt think that was possible seemed way to low to even consider getting into the market.
Typically yes but I think the AiBs are taking it in atm tho. MC and the likes probably make less then $50 a card.

yeah figured it was low they tend to make more on whole systems or bundles if they can offload some inventory. iv seen odd ones like 3080's with 450 watt sfx psu's didnt make sense but untill things normalize its how it'll be.

Geeezus man, my local Microcenter in Denver is scalping too. They are selling an AMD 6700XT for $999. Amazon has them for $1200.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...l-triple-fan-12gb-gddr6-pcie-40-graphics-card

I just found one of these on Stock X for $675. I just bought it.

The scalping needs to stop by the retailers, and everybody.

Just remember, same thing for Nvidia cards, the launch MSRP's were for specifically AMD.com sold reference models and Nvidia sold (now Best Buy) Founder's Edition cards.

AIB's have much higher MSRPs for their cards, and its especially bad on the AMD side with AIBs.

Said before, but in this case, it's not Micro Center scalping. It's Sapphire, it's Powercolor, it's XFX, and any other AMD AIB's out there (and Nvidia's side too).

its as if people think corporations will leave a pike of money on table for anyone else. big business runs on making money leaving piles on table for consumers to take hasn't been a thing iv ever heard of. if Aibs see the same stats we do on ebay 3rd party sales they will raise price accordingly and will have teams researching what the market will bare so they effectively raise price to a point they can stay there even when everything crashes, then that becomes the new Normal price.

Back