Why is it so hard to get a new phone?

SamuraiInBlack

Supreme [H]ardness
So I'm on Sprint, and I'm looking to replace my aging Q9c running WinMo 6.1. I want to stay on Windows Mobile for the MyPhone feature, as well as the fact that I just like Windows Mobile. But I'd rather get a phone that natively runs 6.5 rather than to hack it on there if it isn't supported officially, with a touchscreen, and hopefully some decent hardware under the hood. I hate how choppy video playback is on my Q9c.

I know Samsung's Intrepid fits the bill in every way, except one - the screen. I'm tired of having a small screen!

That said I've been eyeing the Touch Pro 2. It looks like it fits the bill for everything I'd want, except Sprint lists it as still coming with 6.1.

Should I jump on the TP2, or should I wait to see what else Sprint will have coming Q1 of next year?

I have a touch pro 2 running a cooked rom on ATT but mine came with 6.5 to start with. But the stock ATT rom is quite slow and the custom rom I ram running is sweet. Much faster, many more features, more touch/finger friendly. Of course I had to go through 3 before I found the one I like and CDMA TP's dont have as many options.

All of that to say, if you want a touch screen you MUST get 6.5 and I personally will not have a non cooked rom unless winmo really steps it up. Also I am not really sold on the TP2, it is too heavy and the keyboard is too big for me, I am WAY faster on a BOLD and I am also faster on an iPhone. For a touch screen I want capacitive!

If I where you I would wait or look at something other than a TP2.

I don't MIND a touch screen, I'd LIKE one, but it doesn't need to be super fancy for me where I can do gestures and little finger dances and it translates them into functions. I could care less about doing shit like that. I want a touchscreen because it seems to be the only way I can get a phone with a screen size that doesn't remind me of a Gameboy sized screen. But on the other side of the coin, I refuse to use a touchscreen for texting and other keyboard related functions. So I want my keyboard as well. That was why I was considering the TP2. I could care less about how heavy it is as long as its not an actual brick in weight. I'm used to having a somewhat heavy phone just from having the Q9c with the extended battery, so weight is not an issue for me.

I think what I'll do is wait until January. No sense in jumping on a phone right now. My rebate isn't going anywhere.

"Hacking" on 6.5 is no different then going from Vista to 7. If the hardware supports the OS then you're good. If 6.5 is available as a ROM for it, unofficially or not, then it'll be fine assuming whoever cooked the ROM know's how to do it right. Incidentally someone got a hold of an official 6.5 ROM for a CDMA TP2 and most ROM cookers are now using it as a base.

Jumping on a Touch Pro 2 is going to be awesome, if you're dead set on having Windows Mobile. Hell, if I didn't have the Hero, I'd be hesitant on selling the new one Sprint gave me.

That being said, go to PPCGeeks.com and just install a custom 6.5 ROM on it. It takes MAYBE an hour (including customizing) and will make the phone fly. Frankly, anyone who uses a STOCK ROM on a WinMo phone isn't realizing half the potential.

Back