Why is gaming on the console better than the PC.

How often have you had everything on your PC go at once? Not to mention, if you build your computer right, a "hardware failure" becomes a "neccesary hardware upgrade!". :-D
That's a good point. Most of the components we use in gaming PCs are obsolete, for our purposes, long before they reach their MTBF.

A GTX Titan will last a good 5-8 years in typical usage conditions before failing, but is obsoleted by newer technologies within two. In some cases parts will fail much sooner, but that's not the norm.

Consoles are so convinient compared to PC for the average guy.
I have friends that play on Xbox exclusively and I would call them hardcore
gamers.
Why do they play on console, Well because they cant imagine spending
1000.00+ to have to learn to play on a mouse/keyboard setup.
Sure you can use your Xbox controller, but your going to be
introuble when coming up against and experience keyboard/mouse player.

Consoles are what drive most new games , like we can see here on the
BF3's selling rate for consoles/pc.

•Xbox 360: 2.2 million
•PlayStation 3: 1.5 million
•PC: 500,000

For every PC gamer there are 6.5 Console gamers Estimated.
I also do enjoy purchasing a new game and just
putting in the disk and letting my console do the rest.
You dont need a PC desk.
You dont need much room either.
Consoles now can hook up to most TV's.
Im a hardcore PC gamer and do enjoy my consoles as well.

Everyone I know who is now "console only" went through the following exact process

Laptops are good enough for everything I need and want to do but game, plus laptops are portable, and the more portable the better. When it get's down to it, a desktop is really just a dated old relic from the late 90's early 2000's compared to this brand spanking new laptop that does everything but max out the latest game. Buying a laptop that can game would be idiotic because it's form factor and battery life would suck, form factor and battery life are more important than processing power for actual work.

And then what follows is... buying a desktop is silly because this isn't the late 90's early 00's and I'm not a grandma, laptops are what people buy now other than old stupid people. Since I can't game on my laptop, or my laptop can't game any better than the xbox/ps3 I already have, I'm just going to keep gaming on those.

They aren't buying cheap laptops either, pretty good ones. It's just that once your "computer" is no longer the big ass ugly beige tower that is a mere graphics card away from playing the latest games in style, and is instead a laptop that can't be upgraded and won't do it any better than the console... they quit being PC gamers. So people who I remember were diehards back in the Quake and UT era, just really don't play on the PC much anymore, barring stuff like Diablo or Starcraft.

They know damn well what a proper gaming PC would do, they just aren't in the market for a desktop anymore.

Everyone I know who is now "console only" went through the following exact process

Laptops are good enough for everything I need and want to do but game, plus laptops are portable, and the more portable the better. When it get's down to it, a desktop is really just a dated old relic from the late 90's early 2000's compared to this brand spanking new laptop that does everything but max out the latest game. Buying a laptop that can game would be idiotic because it's form factor and battery life would suck, form factor and battery life are more important than processing power for actual work.

And then what follows is... buying a desktop is silly because this isn't the late 90's early 00's and I'm not a grandma, laptops are what people buy now other than old stupid people. Since I can't game on my laptop, or my laptop can't game any better than the xbox/ps3 I already have, I'm just going to keep gaming on those.

They aren't buying cheap laptops either, pretty good ones. It's just that once your "computer" is no longer the big ass ugly beige tower that is a mere graphics card away from playing the latest games in style, and is instead a laptop that can't be upgraded and won't do it any better than the console... they quit being PC gamers. So people who I remember were diehards back in the Quake and UT era, just really don't play on the PC much anymore, barring stuff like Diablo or Starcraft.

They know damn well what a proper gaming PC would do, they just aren't in the market for a desktop anymore.

I'm still considering upgrading my PC in lieu of getting a new console this year, because I want access to my previous games and to new ones on the same device, I can get new games for cheaper, and I plan to connect it to my living room TV. Besides, I have an existing computer that I can upgrade completely for the same price as a new console anyways, and I plan to get a wireless mouse and keyboard for it.

I've reached the point where I relize that a PC, Console, etc is a tool or toy. It's a thing, why should I get emotionally attached to a thing anyway.

I've reached the point where I relize that a PC, Console, etc is a tool or toy. It's a thing, why should I get emotionally attached to a thing anyway.

For a PC, I'd be attached because I would have built it myself. I'd feel responsible if it messes up.

For some strange reason after I read the author's post a movie popped into my head; the name of the movie is ( ONE THAT FLEW OVER THE COCOO's NEST )

Most people purchase console because of the ease of getting the game in and playing right away.
I personally prefer my gaming pc hooked up to a 50" TV with a controller so i can enjoy those games with the highest settings possible.

Consoles are so convinient compared to PC for the average guy.
I have friends that play on Xbox exclusively and I would call them hardcore
gamers.
Why do they play on console, Well because they cant imagine spending
1000.00+ to have to learn to play on a mouse/keyboard setup.
Sure you can use your Xbox controller, but your going to be
introuble when coming up against and experience keyboard/mouse player.

Consoles are what drive most new games , like we can see here on the
BF3's selling rate for consoles/pc.

•Xbox 360: 2.2 million
•PlayStation 3: 1.5 million
•PC: 500,000

For every PC gamer there are 6.5 Console gamers Estimated.
I also do enjoy purchasing a new game and just
putting in the disk and letting my console do the rest.
You dont need a PC desk.
You dont need much room either.
Consoles now can hook up to most TV's.
Im a hardcore PC gamer and do enjoy my consoles as well.

You do realize digital sales aren't included in that PC number right?I mean if you're not going to cite your source I will.

2.2 + 1.5 million = 3.7 million.Now subtract that from the 5 million EA sold in its first week. That would be 1.3 million sales on the PC. Now also realize that Origin doesn't disclose digital sales nor do the large number of grey market sites which sold BF3.

PC sales far eclipse those of the console in a large majority of games.

since when can you not cheat on console?

the only thing that consoles have over pcs is exclusive titles.

But you are forgetting one important factor, consoles are pc's. they just are dedicated small form factor computers. what parts are the next gen using? pc processor, pc graphics. so the whole pc vs console thing is over in my opinion, because everything is a pc now days. each is just dedicated to a specific role. I like alot of others have both a gaming pc and a console. And I wont disagree that pc gaming can be alot more expensive, but no one forces you to upgrade every time a new game comes out. And why is a desktop only for old people just because it is not like your Ipad? Well if you want smaller things dont expect them to perform like the desktop, a laptop will never have the same performance as a gaming desktop. Just as a console will never have the same performance as a gaming desktop.

"And then what follows is... buying a desktop is silly because this isn't the late 90's early 00's and I'm not a grandma, laptops are what people buy now other than old stupid people. Since I can't game on my laptop, or my laptop can't game any better than the xbox/ps3 I already have, I'm just going to keep gaming on those."

And buy your own statement why would you ever get a console they are outdated as soon as you get them just like a laptop / desktop. The only difference is that you still can upgrade a desktop and even a laptop, but as for a console you are stuck with what you get with the console when you fist purchase it. Other than maybe a hard drive or some controlers.

Choice is the spice of life.

I have to disagree firmly with you OP. The fact that PC gaming is still around and the most popular type around the world over , says a lot.

Console's are better for sports games, if you want to play madden or fight night you have to get a console. They definitely aren't better for shooters

Console's are better for sports games, if you want to play madden or fight night you have to get a console. They definitely aren't better for shooters

Lol i can't imagine playing fight night or any fighting game with a kb/m.

Wow I let you in on a secret if you think consoles can play sports games better ! The secret is believe it or not Sherlock you can purchase a console pad and use it on your pc ! wow and just think about this not only can you use say a ps3 or xbox controller on your pc you can also have better graphics and sound too !

There's a time and a place for both. There's certainly something to be said for plugging something in an playing the devs intended result in 5 minutes sans any tinkering. Especially when that device is still playing new games as intended 6 years later.
Ditto with having an even playing field.
PC gaming always has the potential to be much better, but it can be troublesome and annoying at the same time. Hell, it can also be costly, too.

In terms of controls - you can technically use the same controllers for the PC, but like most everything else, there are quirks. PC gaming is not for the lazy or technophobes.

IMO PC's were amazing in the 90's. So were consoles though, but PCs had the true cutting edge graphics then Voodoo/Geforce days.

I got back into consoles last year with a PS3. I only use my mid range PC for a random game in BF3 and 24/7 folding (I bought Skyrim the new CS on steam, and never played them yet lol)

But I've played the shit outta Gran Turismo 5 (over 1000 cars), Final Fantasy 13 (Farming Adamantoise in Eden some more today...getting another lvl 99 Ultimate weapon heehee). Then you have SF4/Tekken with a Madcatz arcade stick ;), and The Move controller for the kids or Tiger Woods game. The PS3 slim system takes 80 watts to run not the 330 watts Metro drew from my PC. :rolleyes: Then you have alot of survival horror style games and GTA series to name a few.

There's definite pro's and cons, but imo its basically falls down to this...

PC = FPShooters or MMO's and oldschool emulation. That's it!

Consoles for everything else. And I'm definitely not into MMOs, did it once for a good solid 2-3 years and that was it, ever wasting my time like that AGAIN! So the PC has only 1 big draw for me. If you also have a little OCD (I can) yeah you can seriously spend an hour or two (or even more lol) with settings on a PC. Which is freaking ridiculous. Steam ain't all that either. I'd much rather drive to a store and get the box plus the disc. I think the market is all retarded on a PC today. I preferred going to Best Buy and buying Half Life 1 in 98' etc. than doing this Steam shit, take your auto updating and online friends list garbage. My friends are my family, or I will look up tips on youtube and gamefaqs etc.

I could go on... P:

IMO PC's were amazing in the 90's. So were consoles though, but PCs had the true cutting edge graphics then Voodoo/Geforce days.

I think part of the problem here on the PC side is that while PCs still have true cutting edge graphics, the perceptual qualitative difference is much smaller. Going from 4 colors to 16 colors, or 16 colors to 256 colors, or 320x240 to 640x480 is much a much greater visual difference than 1080p to 4k, even if quantitatively it isn't. The same is true with polygon count also. People notice 100k polygons to 200k polygons more than they notice 100 million polygons to 1 billion polygons, because there comes a point where it's a persons fingernail which looks so much better rather than their block for a head.

Because of this, many features which are being added by video cards can be simulated, and while they cause a performance hit on older hardware, the visual qualitative difference is just not there.

Finally one other thing to take into account. PCs are much more capable of doing things than what they're shown, but while a solo or even a few developers could put together an impressive demo a couple decades ago, machines are just too powerful today to really show something amazing by a single person for the most part. I'm sure it's still possible, but now instead of just being a programming guru, you need to be an artistic guru at the same time.

I prefer this because the level of competition and the amount of immaturity is vastly lower (IMO) then on consoles.

Someone doesn't play CS:S/Go, BF3. LoL/HoN/Dota/Dota2, L4D1/2, Arma/whtaver or any other PC game that more than 3 people play.

I spend all day sitting at a desk making software do what I want it to do. When I play games I just want to kick back with a controller and hit Start. Even now, it can be a struggle to eliminate stuttering/tearing and fix frame rate issues. Steam Big Picture mode and Nvidia Geforce Experience are good steps in the right direction, though.

I spend all day sitting at a desk making software do what I want it to do. When I play games I just want to kick back with a controller and hit Start. Even now, it can be a struggle to eliminate stuttering/tearing and fix frame rate issues. Steam Big Picture mode and Nvidia Geforce Experience are good steps in the right direction, though.

The older your PC the more issues you can run into , true but I often have zero problems playing PC games without having to spend anytime fixing it. And when it happens I can generally fix my issues within a very short time thanks to the platform being so flexible.

The older your PC the more issues you can run into , true but I often have zero problems playing PC games without having to spend anytime fixing it. And when it happens I can generally fix my issues within a very short time thanks to the platform being so flexible.

Even with modern hardware, it's not easy. I have a 3570K, 680GTX, 16GB and I still have to play with settings to eliminate tearing.

I just wish someone would release a FPS controller similar to fighting sticks. I can't really use my thumbs for accurate controls on the console so FPS games are all but impossible for me on consoles. I am fine for racing games, but targeting is extremely tough for me.

I don't need a full mouse, but just an easy way to target with my palm over my thumb. Movement isn't as big of an issue since I don't have to be extremely accurate. Of course along those lines I can't play most platformers since I can't make the necessary jumps.

I just wish someone would release a FPS controller similar to fighting sticks. I can't really use my thumbs for accurate controls on the console so FPS games are all but impossible for me on consoles. I am fine for racing games, but targeting is extremely tough for me.

I don't need a full mouse, but just an easy way to target with my palm over my thumb. Movement isn't as big of an issue since I don't have to be extremely accurate. Of course along those lines I can't play most platformers since I can't make the necessary jumps.

With enough practice it's not to hard to overcome "stupid thumbs" KB&M make it so easy that for some it's a very hard thing to do but it's possible.

I've found myself that the controller really make a difference I've never mastered the PlayStation controller but the Xbox 360 controller I've got down I think I just like the offset sticks better.

Use Vsync for christ sake, do you even know what tearing is?

Vsync doesn't always work. And sometimes it has to be set in the GPU control panel. Sometimes it needs to be set to On. Other times Adaptive. Sometimes Half-Adaptive. Sometimes Triple Buffering needs to be enabled too. It all depends on the game.

With enough practice it's not to hard to overcome "stupid thumbs" KB&M make it so easy that for some it's a very hard thing to do but it's possible.

I've found myself that the controller really make a difference I've never mastered the PlayStation controller but the Xbox 360 controller I've got down I think I just like the offset sticks better.

It is less about mastering it unfortunately. My hands and fingers twitch on fine motor controls like that so it is like trying to play a sniper while galloping on a horse. All my shots look like I jerked up at the last second so I didn't shoot a friendly. I could never use those old red dot setups on laptops either. The mouse would just go all over the place due to the twitching.

I even had to stop using the thumb button on the mouse since one click would tend to be multiple.

I understand why many gamers don't want it since they feel it wouldn't be balanced, but I am not looking for extra accuracy. I just want the game to be fun over frustrating.

Even with modern hardware, it's not easy. I have a 3570K, 680GTX, 16GB and I still have to play with settings to eliminate tearing.

Have you tried the Nvidia experience? I had really good luck with it on mine. Of course due to the sales I know have an AMD card, but I miss the Nvidia experience with game profiles.

Vsync doesn't always work. And sometimes it has to be set in the GPU control panel. Sometimes it needs to be set to On. Other times Adaptive. Sometimes Half-Adaptive. Sometimes Triple Buffering needs to be enabled too. It all depends on the game.

you're doing it wrong

setting V-sync in the ATI / NVIDIA control panel will absolutely override any in game settings and lock the display so it will not tear. If you have abnomolies after that, it's a driver issue or a game issue.

you're doing it wrong

setting V-sync in the ATI / NVIDIA control panel will absolutely override any in game settings and lock the display so it will not tear. If you have abnomolies after that, it's a driver issue or a game issue.

Doesn't always work...

Oh 1 thing I forgot to add is that PCs have 120Hz which is nice, and more than 1 screen options.

So IF I was playing a Single player game that is NOT an FPS (BF3,CSGO) I would be much better off on a console.

I've never had a problem telling where I am on my 1080p 55inch widescreen when playing the PS3, and thought... HOLY SHIT! I NEED MOAR SCREENS I CANt See that shrub to my left lol! The IMMERSION on a 55inch HDTV beats the snot out of some 20"-30inch LCD/LED PC setup imo.

Console = FREAKING amazing today and for the future. PS3/PS4
PC = FREAKING amazing in the 90s

LOL @ people demanding thread lock :) Tell us why PC is so great then?

Higher res capability, yeah but 1080p is really nice as well on PS3 or Wii U ;)

120Hz is nice, but really only in FPS games. Don't mean shit in SP games imho.

PC costs a grand+ to do it right if you want triple screens, quad cpu with great heatsink, great case, quality screens, 120hz. SSD, 16GB ram, Windoz bs OS. etc. Great KB/Mouse 80+ 750 watt...blah blah blah u know it. GPUs etc. Then install it all and configure it, and have fun downloading games from Steam etc.

PS3/PS4 + SSD+ HDTV 55 inch. Insert game Disc. Press start :)

PC uses 4x the power when gaming lol.

I just really think PC developers need to go all out like some PS3 games really do go all out and push that shitty GPU the PS3 has, but no one's pushing games like that on PC I'm sorry they are not. You overspend for 2560 res or better, you overspend for SLI/CFX, you overspend for 120Hz. You overspend for stupid windows OS. Then you overspend on your electric bill. ID sux, Blizzard sux, Valve sux compared to teh 90's and that is 100% FACT and you PC gamers who were around then gaming know it.

Im done. PC makers need to step it up 100 percent and push their GPU's or the PS4 is taking your children and eating them ALIVE in a couple years! But BF5 will still be best on PC along with nerdy MMO's...so yeah.

I just really think PC developers need to go all out like some PS3 games really do go all out and push that shitty GPU the PS3 has, but no one's pushing games like that on PC I'm sorry they are not. You overspend for 2560 res or better, you overspend for SLI/CFX, you overspend for 120Hz. You overspend for stupid windows OS. Then you overspend on your electric bill. ID sux, Blizzard sux, Valve sux compared to teh 90's and that is 100% FACT and you PC gamers who were around then gaming know it.

You dont seem to get the difference between the limitations of a console and what you are able to accomplish with a PC. Also many new games are pushing PCs still, where are you getting these "100% Facts" from?

tumblr_mly2iqBpC71qjemo2o1_250.gif

Pretty much the only response needed in this thread. How did it get to 4 pages?

While tearing is easy to overcome with vysnc - it comes with its own annoying set of side effects that aren't so easy to get around. I wish MSI Afterburner was integrated into the Nvidia and ATI drivers since it's a godsend with things like stuttering and framerate caps.

you know you have a weak argument when someone throws out the "green" factor of console gaming when you are on a high performance tech website.

Funny enough one of my 7970's even at full tilt doesn't use some crazy amount more power than an Xbox. (have you ever felt how hot the exhaust is on the console when it's cranking hard. Factor in how good the graphics are, or how many operations per watt each is doing, and the PC comes out far far ahead in matters of "green".

There are people out there who shouldn't legally be allowed to operate anything more complicated than a fisher price toy, or an iphone. If you fall into this category (or are just lazy as hell and don't want to figure out optimal settings), buy a console and have fun, I won't judge you for it, just stop trying to make yourself feel better when I'm flying along at 2560X1440 smooth as silk and modding my games to do cool shit.

I like figuring things out, I like getting a perfect smooth setup. I hate accepting the limits of whatever MS or Sony dishes out. And for that reason I love PC gaming. Yeah it's extra cost, and extra work, but guess what. It's totally worth it to me.

Same logic applies to the tiered world of sports cars. Sure you can go and buy a 370Z (console) it's fun, looks good, and per performance is pretty good. Or, you could save your money and buy a Ferrari 458. Sure, it's quirky, expensive, but the experience is refined, and just balls to the wall crazy. Some people are happy in a regular car, some people are happy in their exotic.

Funny enough one of my 7970's even at full tilt doesn't use some crazy amount more power than an Xbox. (have you ever felt how hot the exhaust is on the console when it's cranking hard.

I do, I use it as a space heater in the winter. Dual purpose, baby. That's green usage.

Xbox One now with LEED Certification! Lol. Oh, how this thread has fallin.

Back