Why is everything so dark on my new lcd?

selizo

Limp Gawd
This occurs when playing Half Life 2 and when I go into a place where there isn't too much light, everything seems to be mushed together as if my LCD can't render low light conditions. Everything appears to be the same and the only way I can play the game is if I use the flashnight. This never happened on my CRT...

I have this problem in cs.

My solution was to a) turn up the brightness and/or gamma in games and b) go into your video settings from the desktop and mess with brightness there.

selizo said:
This occurs when playing Half Life 2 and when I go into a place where there isn't too much light, everything seems to be mushed together as if my LCD can't render low light conditions. Everything appears to be the same and the only way I can play the game is if I use the flashnight. This never happened on my CRT...

Maybe you should try posting what LCD you're talking about and other facts (connections, video card, etc. etc.).

ehZn said:
This is a fairly normal problem when switching from a CRT to an LCD. Most LCD's just aren't as bright and the contrast is high, making dark places in games look inky black. I have this problem in cs.

LCDs not as bright as CRTs? Whaaaaaattttt? LCDs are retinal burning bright. And LCDs don't convey inky black. It's one of the major flaws of the technology.....LCDs convey a dark charcoal gray at best. If you have Doom3 and an LCD, take a looksee and can you honestly say the background is black? No way.

download a free ware color adjustment proggy
they work wonders

(Dell 2005) user here

ehZn said:
This is a fairly normal problem when switching from a CRT to an LCD. Most LCD's just aren't as bright and the contrast is high, making dark places in games look inky black. I have this problem in cs.

Buuuuuuuuullllllshiiiiiiit

selizo said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824168005

I know its not top of the line but at the same time, the specs don't indicate it being be a piece of junk either...

I'm using a X800XL(cat5.6) and using the DVI port

BTW I have no problems with it not being black wnough, its just that in dark places, everthing is black and in an uniform color...

It's got a decent contrast ratio...better than the Dell 2001fp I once owned then barfed. Looks like you got the most updated CATs. Only have the problem with HL2???? Strange, I don't know what to tell you except it might be defective.

Well I don't own any other games at which I'm at a dark level so I can't say...any demos I could try?

Try calibrating your monitor at least by using the software that came with it. In most cases, LCD monitors are VERY poorly setup out of the box and can't render the darker shades properly. Spending just a couple of minutes on calibration should make a world of a difference. Of course, some LCDs, especially TN panels, just have poor color reproduction and can never be set up to be perfect but still, calibration is essential.

IceWind said:
Buuuuuuuuullllllshiiiiiiit

Mmmmyea, I'm not talking about light colors. A white screen on an LCD is like a giant flourescent bulb and can light a room. I'm about about in dark areas or dark videos, things just all look darker (compare watching a movie like the matrix on an lcd to a regular tv). I had to turn the overall brightness and gamma up just to be able to make things out.

Could just be my lcd is almost 3 years old and the backlight is dying...

Your lcd is a TN panel. They are known to have poor color rendering and contrast ratio. Very often, manufacturers overstate the actual CR.

ehZn said:

My solution was to a) turn up the brightness and/or gamma in games and b) go into your video settings from the desktop and mess with brightness there.

Actually you have that backwards. LCD's are generally brighter but have a worse contrast ratio than CRT's.

selizo said:
Well I don't own any other games at which I'm at a dark level so I can't say...any demos I could try?

Doom3....most definitely. And any Thief demo you can get your hands on.

Sparrow_69 said:
Your lcd is a TN panel. They are known to have poor color rendering and contrast ratio. Very often, manufacturers overstate the actual CR.

How are you so sure? When I fired up Display Mate, I get 16,777,216 colors...

Back