Why is every1 selling their Velociraptors?

flegg

[H]ard|Gawd
These seem to be great drives. Yet they also seem to be one of the, if not the most common item found in the Trade/For sale section. Am I missing something?

Yea I guess. To me the only one worth a damn is from Intel and it's still 600+ though.

Anyone Selling BLFS's ill buy those. But I dont want to buy the others and then void my warranty by removing the icepack.

BTW that is so dumb.

I didn't notice that there are particularly more velociraptors compared to other parts though.

Search for velociraptor - you'll see many hits in the Trade/For sale section. I found 5 sellers right away and I know there's at least one more active one

It's a known medical condition called "Upgraditis..."

Been thoroughly researched and documented at this forum for a long time, even longer when you end up suffering from it for decades... ;)

Appropriated from 3dgameman.......

r04ifc.png

Anyone Selling BLFS's ill buy those. But I dont want to buy the others and then void my warranty by removing the icepack.

BTW that is so dumb.

Is there a little warranty sticker that breaks or what cause otherwise how would they tell with just some screws?

Is there a little warranty sticker that breaks or what cause otherwise how would they tell with just some screws?
there is a sticker over one of the scews, but on my OEM, it didn't say anything on the sticker about voiding the warranty like the retail drives

BTW that is so dumb.

why do you want to remove the ice pack?

Fit more drives, one would assume. They are 2.5" drives, yanno <hint, hint> :D

(yes, I know you know this...)

I have one of those 8x 2.5 hotswap enclosures.

I run 15k SAS for my boot and use the vraptors as scratch space

Fit more drives, one would assume. They are 2.5" drives, yanno <hint, hint> :D

(yes, I know you know this...)

lol yes yes, i guess... i would rather make sure they run nice and cool to reduce chance of a failure... but im paranoid of drives exploding after replacing over 400 (not kidding) raptors this summer lol

but having the density is nice... 4 drives in a 5.25" bay is pretty nice

there is a sticker over one of the scews, but on my OEM, it didn't say anything on the sticker about voiding the warranty like the retail drives

I'm pretty sure they did that for shits and giggles because there wasn't any place else to put the sticker. :D

I've had audio components that were refused warranty claims because they could see the paint was broken where the screw was removed and if they had previously serviced the unit there were other stickers on the inside and outside.

Sure ain't sellin' my VR's. No SSD can write worth a crap - and nothing other than RAID0 SAS can touch RAID0 VR goodness. VR's are still where the performance is at IMO.

Sure ain't sellin' my VR's. No SSD can write worth a crap - and nothing other than RAID0 SAS can touch RAID0 VR goodness. VR's are still where the performance is at IMO.
the newer SLC ones are monsters
Intel X25-E writes at 170 MB/s and even the older Mtron 7500 and Memoright GT ones do 130 MB/s
plus there are the Micron RealSSD that should be 250/250 MB/s read/write
and of course the IoFusion at 500 MB/s +

the newer SLC ones are monsters
Intel X25-E writes at 170 MB/s and even the older Mtron 7500 and Memoright GT ones do 130 MB/s
plus there are the Micron RealSSD that should be 250/250 MB/s read/write
and of course the IoFusion at 500 MB/s +

yea but the cost is outrageous on those highend SSD

And I'm sure y'all know that those write numbers are only with fresh OOB SSDs. As soon as all of the the thing has been written to, the write throughput drops to ridiculously low numbers. There's various threads explaining the process. Still not gonna jump on the SSD bandwagon quite yet. Although I'd absolutely LOVE to have the read and access times they offer...

yea but the cost is outrageous on those highend SSD
yeah, I was just pointing out that they are an option

And I'm sure y'all know that those write numbers are only with fresh OOB SSDs. As soon as all of the the thing has been written to, the write throughput drops to ridiculously low numbers. There's various threads explaining the process. Still not gonna jump on the SSD bandwagon quite yet. Although I'd absolutely LOVE to have the read and access times they offer...
I still say get an Intel SSD for your OS install and apps then a couple decent 7200 RPM drives or VRs in RAID0 for anything that needs fast writes.
Most programs aren't writing to the hard drive, so slow writes aren't really an issue.
Intel is offering the X25-M as part of their retail edge bundle so I'm sure there will be lots of people selling them on eBay, should drive the price down quiet a bit.

yeah, I was just pointing out that they are an option

I still say get an Intel SSD for your OS install and apps then a couple decent 7200 RPM drives or VRs in RAID0 for anything that needs fast writes.
Most programs aren't writing to the hard drive, so slow writes aren't really an issue.
Intel is offering the X25-M as part of their retail edge bundle so I'm sure there will be lots of people selling them on eBay, should drive the price down quiet a bit.

How much does, say, Vx64 write? I mean if the pagefile is moved off of it...

All I know is the OS is constantly fragmented almost immediately, which means there's a lot of writing being done at some point, I just don't know if it's the type of writes you would notice being slow.... I'm obviously not going to copying a lot to the OS volume, save maybe a few things to the desktop here and there...
Hmmmm. VERY tempting...

What OS are we talking about that's "constantly fragmented" as in my experience and testing over the past 2 years, Vista rarely if ever gets past 2-3% fragmentation, regardless of what the user does to try and purposely fragment the system partition. And I mean I've gone to extreme lengths to make it fragmented and no matter what I did when checked with the built-in defrag tool (command line version), or PerfectDisk, or Diskeeper, or O&O, etc, the results never wavered above 3%.

Some example of what I'd do to purposely fragment a 35GB Vista partition (9GB of it consumed by Vista Business x64, 2GB pagefile matching the 2GB of RAM, no hibernation file, no additional software installed):

- copy 15,000 JPG images to the drive, spread across 110 folders, then delete 55 of the folders in random order, duplicate the 55 left over so I had 110 folders once again, now basically duplicates
- copy another 15,000 JPG images in 110 folders (different images), then delete 55 of the original first-copy folders, duplicate 55 of the second-copy folders so I now how 55 originals and 165 "new" ones, over half dupes
- take a 1GB VOB file and blast it into 255,000 fragments (seriously) using a little defrag tool that has a "shotgun blast" mode that purposely fragments a file; 255,000 fragments is the theoretical maximum for that 1GB VOB
- delete all the JPG images, all 275 folders, and delete them, then copy the original 110 folders right back on the drive once more
- copy 400 mp3 files in a two directories to the drive, delete half of them (one folder), copy 200 more new ones, then copy the first-copy second folder again, delete the second-copy folder

Yes, all this is scripted stuff, I assure you... :)

Finally, delete the 1GB VOB file and all its 4KB fragments, check the drive for fragmentation at that point: it was 2.9%. Deleted all the stuff I put on the drive and left nothing but the OS: 1.1%.

Honestly, I don't know why people even bother with 3rd party defraggers anymore with Vista. I've proven to myself and seen other defrag "shootouts" that prove Vista can take care of itself: if it goes over 3% fragmentation I'd sure as hell love to see hard proof of it because I haven't been able to force such fragmentation on test boxes, and I've done this scripted thing like 9 times in the past 2 years, each time the results are within .2% of each other.

This is correct if you write data equivalent to or exceeding the capacity of the drive without giving it time to "rest". When the SSD is idle it will prepare the already used cells for new writes so they are exactly like they were when you opened the box. So you're both right and wrong. If you write 80 GB of data to an 80 GB SSD drive without giving it a bit of time off, you are correct. I, however, can not imagine such a scenario taking place in a real non-produced environment unless benchmarking the drive itself.

Back