Why is DDR4 such a mess?

CoreStoffer

Limp Gawd
I can easily go out and buy a Haswell-E CPU and X99 mobo as stock has been fairly good here. But when it comes to DDR4 memory you will have to search high and low and go out of your way to find some quality kits.

The high end stuff is either out of stock or not even shipping yet or ridiculous expensive. It is almost like the DDR4 memory isn't properly launched yet? Didn't they know we needed DDR4 kits for the X99 chipset or what gives? Yes, it is new and shit, but hardly rocket science to manufacture.

Oh well, I think I will just buy the Crucial vanilla 16 GB kit, forget about it, and buy some high end stuff when this mess is sorted, hopefully early next year.

Sorry for the rant! :eek:

I think it's simply too early. It's better to wait it out and hold off on buying DDR4 RAM at the moment.

Blame Intel for repeatedly delaying DDR4 on their consumer products. Broadwell was supposedly going to be DDR4, turns out that it wasn't. Then Skylake, but then it turns out to only be the low-volume high-end platforms. Intel is jerking us around because nobody is competing with them.

IMO best thing you can do is just hold off. Intel shouldn't be rewarded (by having their products purchased when they are just screwing around) for this behavior.

Edit: Also, I'd like 1.05 or 1.1V DDR4, myself. I, like many, bought 1.65V DDR3 when it was new, and fairly quickly abandoned it for much-better 1.5V and 1.35V modules. I don't want the 1.65V equivalent of DDR4.

Last edited:
Yeah, I put a hold on upgrading also because of the memory mess.

After seeing some of the fallout on the X99 boards to include DDR4 problems/prices, X99 boards lighting on fire and a few bios problems glad I am waiting.

It's not a mess at all... it's modus operandi for memory makers.

1. Reduce manufacturing on current tech (in this case DDR3) which causes the price to double over a relatively short amount of time
2. Ramp up production of the new stuff (in this case DDR4) and stockpile the shit out of it while #1 is taking place.
3. When launch time comes, only release the basic entry-level parts (cheap shit), but overcharge the hell out of it. 50%+ cost over the equivalent current tech should do!
4. After about 6-18 months, start releasing the "good" parts and overcharge even more.
5. When prices plummet to the point that the products are flying off of shelves, make up some kind of bullshit excuse/distaster/accident that will significantly increase prices.
6. Return to step 1.

It's not a mess at all... it's modus operandi for memory makers.

1. Reduce manufacturing on current tech (in this case DDR3) which causes the price to double over a relatively short amount of time
2. Ramp up production of the new stuff (in this case DDR4) and stockpile the shit out of it while #1 is taking place.
3. When launch time comes, only release the basic entry-level parts (cheap shit), but overcharge the hell out of it. 50%+ cost over the equivalent current tech should do!
4. After about 6-18 months, start releasing the "good" parts and overcharge even more.
5. When prices plummet to the point that the products are flying off of shelves, make up some kind of bullshit excuse/distaster/accident that will significantly increase prices.
6. Return to step 1.

Yeah, but it still sucks, doesn't it?

The latencies are higher than that of equivalent speed DDR3. If you already have an X99, just get the most value in RAM you can get for now and wait for the voltages to lower and higher speeds to come out to make up for the higher latencies. I honestly don't recall in the past a new DDR release that was slower than its predecessor on latencies, but maybe I just don't remember right.

I honestly don't recall in the past a new DDR release that was slower than its predecessor on latencies, but maybe I just don't remember right.

DDR2 was slower than DDR1 at release
DDR3 was slower than DDR2 at release

In both cases a year or so later the new ram had faster modules with lower latency and lower power draw than the old

DDR2 was slower than DDR1 at release
DDR3 was slower than DDR2 at release

In both cases a year or so later the new ram had faster modules with lower latency and lower power draw than the old

Since my comment was challenged, I went ahead and double checked. From DDR2 to DDR3, latencies were the same, and the latencies were the same going from DDR to DDR2 as well. DDR4 is, in fact, the first time that latencies on new modules are actually slower than its predecessor rather than being the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM

Back