Why is a HDMI Chromecast picture "squished" on a PC monitor?

oblongpolygon

Weaksauce
I plug a Chromecast into a Lenovo PC monitor, with a 1680 x 1050 resolution (a 16:10 ratio) and the picture is squished, from the sides. Human faces, for example, seem really narrow.

I plug the same Chromcast into an Acer PC monitor, with a 1920 x 1080 resolution (a 16:9 ratio) and the picture is fine.

Is the ratio the cause of that "squished" phenomenon? (Also, the Chromecast is the non-HD one.)

Would the same "squished" picture occur with the LG 27GL850 for example? It has a 16:9 aspect ratio. I'm keen to buy the LG as a monitor... but if I upgrade monitors later on, I'd then be keen to be able to retire it as a TV... but want to know that a Chromecast, at minimum, will work well enough with it, and without a squished picture.

(Are any owners of the LG 27GL850 monitor maybe able to plug a Chromecast into it, and tell me if the picture is "squished" in the way I describe?)

Last edited:

ryan_975

[H]F Junkie
Sounds like the monitor is vertically stretching the input to fill the screen. Look in the monitor or the chromecast settings for something about the aspect ratio.

I wouldn’t think another 16:9 monitor would have any problems.

Armenius

Fully [H]
Also check for aspect or scaling control in the monitor OSD.