Why I Won't Be Buying Either New Console

This guy gets it.

Also another reason to own a console? I can actually pick it up and transport it without breaking my back and without being nervous transporting $1800 worth of hardware.

I can bring it to a friends house , hook it up in seconds and continue on the evening drinking , having fun.

That's why, a few years back when I was going to a LAN party every month, I bought my Gateway P-6860FX gaming laptop. Even with a LAN party bag to use on my PC, bringing the monitor and everything just got old. Toss my laptop, power brick, cables and mouse into a backpack and I was good to go :D

The YouTubeisation of publishing elevates every berk with a webcam and an opinion to the same level as the seasoned journalist. The Twitterisation of news encourages news-breaking, but not fact-checking. This isn’t unique to coverage of videogames, but the medium is entangled with technology and therefore at the forefront of innovations in publishing

This is also something which caught my eye. the excessive "fanboy" /grass roots advertising is not only annoying but also counterproductive. People who "get paid" in hardware as long as their channel is viewed or "abused" for the company press outlet in the battlefield 4 genre you have lvlcap which shows me xbox1 footage and I'm thinking no one cares.
pwn which told me that I should buy a PS4 and play battlefield 4 on PS4 because I'm a PC elitist throws numbers around that you need $2000 dollar pc just to play BF4 on the PC.

The product placements and shallow way of introducing it makes youtube just another advertising channel because every Muppet with views can get these kinds of deals.

I never thought about that, but the advances in APUs will allow devs to target a larger PC gaming audience than when everyone had the shit integrated graphics of yesteryear. Those things used to choke on minesweeper.

Its the first time since the n64 that I didn't bought any console at launch and don't plant to. Used to buy all of them.

I am using this.money to buy hardware.

Just ordered a 1440p Qnix monitor and I'll be upgrading to a 780 this winter..

I have a PS4 already collecting dust downstairs because there is nothing out I want to play on it that I don't already own on the PC. I'm still not sure why I bought it so early. I'm a tech whore I guess.

But seriously. Sony can keep Knack and Killzone. Both of those games are horrible.

I'm usually excited about new consoles, but this time it feels a little bit disappointing for me. I mean, we shouldn't even be talkling about 720p anymore, that's what the previous gen consoles are doing. Where's the improvement if we're still doing 720p or some low fps 1080p res. Can't help but to feel like it was a missed opportunity here.

I get that the price of admission is high, but people are allowed to own both plus a pc aren't they?

I think so, I play both console and PCs. Why someone has to be one or the other exclusively makes no sense.

I'm not buying any of these new Ferrari or Aston Martin models.

I'm pretty sure nobody cares about that either.

"Why I'm not buying a Console - blah, blah, blah"

Translation -

"Backordered. Missed the bus."

Meh -- I'd love to play the new Forza game - but it's not worth forking over 668 dollars (after tax purchase price of console + one game)

700 dollars for a single game im interested in? Pass, hell I never really finished the last 2 forza games because I get distracted by that thing called life.

When I can pick up an xbone at a nice discount, i might be interested. Basically I just don't care for the next year or two about either console.

I wish consoles were just gaming machines again. You bought them to play games. You bought the console that played the games you wanted to play. Sure, there is going to be some war between the multiple consoles, but that doesn't mean the one that YOU picked is superior. It just means it has the game that YOU want to play. I was a Sega fanboy, but Nintendo had a shit ton of awesome games and a great system. I eventually got both.

If you choose one system and discount the other as complete shit and will never buy it, blah blah blah, you're missing out on some great games. Sure, you didn't pick it, and you might not be able to get both - but that doesn't mean the other system sucks. The owners that picked the other one are enjoying it just as much as you enjoy your system.

But, in the end, it is a Sony/MS, Ford/Chevy, AT&T/Sprint, Intel/AMD, ATI/NVIDIA, Sega/Nintendo type of thing. Always a side to choose and fight for while talking shit about the other one that you don't have. :)

I bought a PS3 and Wii last generation. They gather so much dust.

If you're computer-retarded, a console makes sense. If you're not an idiot, a PC is just a tool that has so many more capabilities.

I bought a PS3 and Wii last generation. They gather so much dust.

If you're computer-retarded, a console makes sense. If you're not an idiot, a PC is just a tool that has so many more capabilities.

If you’re a hardcore gamer you play the best of the best.

PC doesn’t have one of the best JRPG this gen. Wii does with Xenoblade Chronicles.

One of the best action RPGs, PS3’s exclusive Demon’s Souls.

PC doesn’t have one of the best JRPG this gen. Wii does with Xenoblade Chronicles.
lolwut

One of the best action RPGs, PS3’s exclusive Demon’s Souls.
I prefer Dark Souls, which is on PC (with a pretty much required mod). Dark Souls II will be on PC from the start.

There are actual console exclusives, but 95% of them will end up on PC some way or another. I am not in any hurry.

Hell, I beat God of War I & II not a year ago on a emulator with my PC. Good games don't get old.

Exclusives hurt consumers, but it's the only way consoles can actually compete and they know it.

My last console was an N64. I follow the hype each release but I still have no reason or want to get any of the consoles.

My family was coerced by a brother to go the PS3 route so they are all tied into that. It is unfortunate because at this point they could all have decent gaming PCs from my previous builds being passed along lol.

The only reason I would go PS3/PS4 is to play with them but playing an FPS on anything but mouse and keyboard is just wrong. Buying one of those Mouse/KB adapter things is an option but more money...

I think I will just buy a new video card instead and marvel at how much better my gaming experience is!

Fail:

Nintendo still make the best games, appealing to both children and adults like the videogame equivalent of Pixar.

GTA's are GTA's. They're fun games but honestly the market is so saturated and my time so limited I'm not exactly going to lose sleep if I never play it. For the record I thought GTA IV was good. However I would never buy a console for one game.

only reason i've ever owned a console is due to sports games. they have never felt right on the pc. pc gaming will always take priority, though. If I ever do pick up an xbox one or ps4 it will be for the same...plus they make for a good alternative to an htpc.... to each his own.

Xenoblade was amazing for a Wii game, and just goes to show how much better so many other games could have been.

Don't plan to buy either new console, as the prices are too expensive (as are the games)

The kids still use the Wii, mainly for Super Smash and to play an old gamecube digimon game.

If the Wii dies, I'll likely just pick up a used one on ebay to replace it.
Maybe if the xbox 360 gets cheap enough I might pick one up, and then buy some used/cheap games.

It's all about the right tool for the job. For most cases, that's my PC. Every once in a while, a console exclusive will come out that will make me want to buy that console. I love the Zelda games, so I buy Nintendo consoles. I needed a BluRay player, so I bought a PS3, figuring that I could make double duty out of it. All my friends played on XBox Live, so I bought a 360.

For this generation, I bought the Wii U to play Monster Hunter with my friends. Microsoft screwed all of them over in one way or another with the 360 generation, so they're all adamantly anti-Xbox this 'round. (Mostly XBox Live related) I'll probably get a PS4 when there's a game out there worth playing. The Order: 1886 might be it. We'll see!

Pointless to own a console my opinion. If you really must have some bs console controller you can hook one up to your pc. Personally I just cracked up when I saw how pathetic the graphics were on a ps4 compared to my pc.

you cant play every game on a pc though...

You CAN play every game that has even an ounce of interest in it on PC's though :p

Seriously, most console first titles are juvenile and boring, not to mention console exclusives...

I mean, why would I get a console? In order to play run and gun garbage like the Halo series? No thanks. I'll leave that to the 14 year old children.

Usually the only games worth even 5 minutes of my time are either PC exclusives or PC first titles. Of the very rare remaining titles of interest, they get ported...

When consoles start playing games on 4K screens then I might be interested. Oh wait, the PC is already doing that. :)

I dunno, I strongly prefer my PC for my "real" gaming, but having a console is nice for more casual stuff. For example, playing platformers with the kids or wife. Friends come over and playing a fighting game side by side on the couch (that's fun right there, I don't care who you are). Or having friends over for a poker game, getting liquored up, and then laughing at each other playing drunk guitar hero. It's overpriced and whatnot - but there's a good social reason for having a smaller games library on a console.

The last console I bought/owned was an original Playstation about a year after it frist came out. Before that it was a Sega Genesis. Those are the only 2 consoles I have ever owned. Three or four years after the PS1 I started building my own computers and never looked back.

The only real reason that I want to get a console at this point is for arcade fighting games like the Street Fighter line. This is really only because I know I would be playing against people at higher ranks who are using an arcade stick vs a keyboard with macros.

Honestly, I'm not buying any next gen until they get some killer apps.
No point.
I have a PC.
Between Humble Bundle and Steam sales I've got dozens of games I've yet to get time to even try. I've got a 1 terabyte hard drive with 20 gigs free, all games.
Yes. My PC costs more than a next gen console.
But.. Majority of my games are through Steam anyways so I upgrade and I can still play my old games. I don't have to swap disks when I want to play a new game and I don't have to worry about my thieving brother or cousin walking out with my only copies on disk.
For God's sake I've got Oblivion and Skyrim modded out with so much extra content those 2 programs take over 150 gigs up on my hard drive! Try doing that with a console! Improved UI, extra areas, new weapons, improved graphics, new skeletons with more realistic animations....
I spend most of my time on those two when I'm on PC. Go figure right? Nexus makes it almost impossible to stop playing those two games!

You know what?
I'm happy with what I've got, I enjoy what I have.
Between my PC, Android phone and Android tablets I've got more than enough.
Would still like a faster 7" tablet with Bluetooth to run Torque with a larger and easier to see screen than my phone but hey maybe next year.

all this "side" shit is socio-economic fueled i-didnt-done-goof dick waving.

PC has the greatest options, flexibility, performance, image quality, etc... but also costs the most. if you can afford a great PC its a no-brainer. fuck 900p when you can hit 2160p + extras.

only reason to get a console is a) you cant afford to keep up with your PC, and b) exclusive console games.

if you cant afford all 3 platforms, the "choice" becomes meaningful and then nigs gonna nig.

There are a few reasons I do consoles and PC rather than one over the other.

I'll start with the obvious, which I stated earlier: I'm a gamer. I love games, and I play them however I can. Some games are console exclusives, some are PC exclusives. I'm going to run to whatever tap is flowing with delicious entertainment. Generally, I love Naughty Dog's games, and Nintendo's exclusives. I LOOOOOOVED Red Dead Redemption.

Controller preference: This is getting MUUUUCH less important with console ports becoming more and more common, but I still have the occasional issues with the "specialty" controllers. Some of the PS3 Fight Sticks simply didn't work properly on the PC unless you had a specific USB chipset. My friends that play fighters have PS3s, so I was stuck, which brings me to my next point.

Friends: I may be a computer mans, willing to massage games to make them work when they drop buggy launches on my head, which has been getting less and less common thankfully, but most of my friends are NOT that big in to the PC world. They own 4 year old Macs or laptops that are incapable of gaming in any reasonable fashion. So if I want to play games online with friends, I've got to hop on a console. Or if I want to play a game at somebody else's house, I'd better have a console version.

Obviously people's choices are up to them, but it's not so cut and dry as "PC vs Console." Besides, PCs are where the consoles grew up. For all the technology they shove into these little black boxes (or trapezoids) it's all just customized computer hardware that had its start in the world of PCs.

From a software developer's standpoint, I've got to imagine it's easier to develop for a homogenized set of hardware than to hope that you're not alienating your users because you have a game breaking bug that affects a certain hardware configuration that you missed. So consoles have value in that they provide an environment where the developer can maintain control of the entire experience. Which doesn't seem to stop them from shipping turds that require day one patches to be playable, but that's a different discussion.

Llama[Style];1040400388 said:
only reason i've ever owned a console is due to sports games. they have never felt right on the pc. pc gaming will always take priority, though. If I ever do pick up an xbox one or ps4 it will be for the same...plus they make for a good alternative to an htpc.... to each his own.

Yup, exactly.

And I don't know why you can't have both, haters be damned. My PS3 and HTPC each serve their purposes. I have the PS3 primarily for sports games and stuff like GTA5 (which was awesome.) That and the fact that not all my friends are PC guys, so I like being able to connect to my console friends on occasion.

if you can afford a great PC its a no-brainer.

Speak for yourself. People like myself who enjoy fighting games the most know that PCs suck balls for this genre. PC gaming is not a no brainier. You actually need to use your brain to make this choice. Try it.

I went from PS1/Dreamcast ---->PC------>PS3.

PC gaming has sucked big balls for about 5 years imho, and continues to suck big balls. PS4 is next if I had to guess, I do want an 8 core CPU though, but not for gaming for video editing reasons.

No consoles for me. I hate these "walled garden" approach to gaming to where you have to spend hundreds of dollars if you want to play exclusive games like Halo. PC, to me, has the best value for multiple reasons: Cheap games, ultimate backward compatibility (don't have to get rid of a console just because of an upgrade), and most importantly, the CHOICE to choose how I want to play. Controller? Sure. KBM? Fine.

These new consoles that claim to be "next gen" and can't even do 1080P/60 for all of their games?! What a joke! I know that games aren't all about graphics but come on. Why can't you have excellent gameplay with 1080P/60 or even 4K?

The XB1 seems like it would be an ok console, but the lack of power with it being $100 more than the PS4? Yikes. And MS is clearly more interested in providing a cable box service more than giving people a half way decent gaming experience. I have friends who bought the XB1 just for Kinect Voice and "entertainment" features, not gaming. Why in the world would you spend so much money for something like that?

I'll stick with keeping my PC upgraded every 5 years. If I had to give up my 150+ games or repurchase them in Steam just because I upgraded my PC, I would be very upset. But tons of people fall for this crap every new console release and it's just silly.

I went from PS1/Dreamcast ---->PC------>PS3.

PC gaming has sucked big balls for about 5 years imho, and continues to suck big balls. PS4 is next if I had to guess, I do want an 8 core CPU though, but not for gaming for video editing reasons.

How has PC gaming sucked big balls for 5 years? Objectively that statement is near impossible to back up. Almost every major release has dropped for PC alongside the consoles, you can use Xbox controllers easily with the PC, there's an IMMENSE indie scene, modding to make old games new again, and releases have been getting steadily more stable.

The only things I miss on my PC are first-party published exclusives. I'd absolutely LOVE to play Nintendo and Sony's offerings on my PC.

As an aside: Can somebody point me to some good Microsoft exclusives that aren't shooters? I really can't think of any that aren't Forza, and I think I'm stuck in a "Microsoft only has Gears and Halo" mindset and I want to play something new to me.

There are a few reasons I do consoles and PC rather than one over the other.

I'll start with the obvious, which I stated earlier: I'm a gamer. I love games, and I play them however I can. Some games are console exclusives, some are PC exclusives. I'm going to run to whatever tap is flowing with delicious entertainment. .

Edited to highlight the most important part.

This All day. Those who claim to be exclusive to one specific device and all others be damned, are only depriving themselves.

Back