Why I Switched From Firefox to Chrome

What is going to happen to Mozilla when Google stops funding it?

i would like chrome a lot more if it gave you the option to have images in the bookmark bar instead of both images and text, i can't figure it out if there is a way. Please message me if you know how. Thanks

You go through all those finger contortions just to close a tab?? Whats wrong with Ctrl+W? lol

My left hand is already on the home row, my thumb is a half inch from alt, so basically I just have to pull down a little to hit ALT-F and then flick the index finger down to close. Takes, what, .002s? CTL-W is kind of awkward, since you have to rotate your whole hand to the left to nail the CTL and W keys. But hey, to each their own, I suppose! :p

I use chrome. starts faster, runs faster, loads pages faster, and uses less screen real estate

Chrome - Decent, but I had to many issues to stay with it. They might have been fixed since, but meh. (Flash Crashing when going fullscreen was annoying).

Firefox - Got no problem with firefox, c'ept for some it's keyboard short cuts... I can change them yes, but thats just another step. I'm lazy. =P

IE7 - Meh.

IE8 - Meh... We'll see when it's done.

Personaly, I'm a big fan of Opera. Got it on all platforms. Windows, Linux, Mac, Smartphone... Being able to sync across all of them is a godsend. Love it. And I find much faster on most websites. I'll be sticking with it for the next while until I can see another browser being able to give me the same functionality.

Now that I think of it.. I wonder if I can sync up Opera on my Wii.. I never thought of it until now. =P

I want the technology of how Chrome handles websites, in their own processes and such so that java can be run on multiple tabs simultaneously, etc... while having the extensions and customization of Firefox. Also as much as I like Google, their watching all my browsing habits should be opt-in only.

Firefox, Opera, Chrome, and IE have a lot to learn from one another and this can only be good for end users.

My left hand is already on the home row, my thumb is a half inch from alt, so basically I just have to pull down a little to hit ALT-F and then flick the index finger down to close. Takes, what, .002s? CTL-W is kind of awkward, since you have to rotate your whole hand to the left to nail the CTL and W keys. But hey, to each their own, I suppose! :p

I think the doctor should check these fingers just in case.

thank gawd im not picky with my browsers like some of you are. all i care about is speed speed speed, and chrome offers that over firefox.

google is god, they can watch me all they want.

Been using Chrome since launch.

I love it, the minimalist approach, the Omnibar, which I've grown to just LOVE. The speed. I have a slick 3.0 FF and Chrome is still faster.

Yea, it's only a little bit faster, but that little bit acts like compound interest and adds up quick.

Tabs are independent processes was also a big win for me. I crashed IE and FF so much with multiple tabs running, being able to keep Chrome up and running when a tab crashed was a god send.

I'm also okay with EULA of Chrome, so not a big deal breaker for me.

crome only fast now because its not even done. I can bet you all when it is done it will be just as all the others as far as speed but with all your info being sent to google.

I will stay with what i got now till proven not a risk.

Well, I like Chrome. It seems to work pretty well and sites do pop up on the screen pretty quickly. It's faster than IE7 by quite a bit on some sites. Startup time is a non issue for me, but Chrome is noticeably faster during launch. I haven't experienced any browser crashes or hangs with Chrome. IE8 crashed within a few minutes of using it and it's auto recover feature just sends the damn thing into an endless crash/recover loop. I think Chrome is a tiny bit faster than IE8 Beta2 and I haven't come across any layout problems with the sites that I visit regularly. I had to run IE8 in compatibility mode in order to view the [H] correctly. The so called tracking that Google is doing doesn't bother me. So what if they know I'm searching for "Jennifer Aniston nipple slip"! I really like the interface and the combo search/address bar. I haven't set the browser as the default yet but I think I just might.

IE8 crashed within a few minutes of using it and it's auto recover feature just sends the damn thing into an endless crash/recover loop.
Yea, if it doesn't render the site correctly, I've found that as well.
It's only been on OWA from what I've found. Most stupid thing ever. Microsoft-created web page can't work on a Microsoft-created browser :rolleyes:

I had to run IE8 in compatibility mode in order to view the [H] correctly.
Me too on that one. All in all I do like IE8.

I've been using Chrome pretty much exclusively since it launched. Previously Opera, previously FF. Only complaint is the lack of middleclick-scroll.

I use chrome. starts faster, runs faster, loads pages faster, and uses less screen real estate

Firefox can use as little or as much screen real estate as you want as it's fully customizable. Here's what it looks like on my desktop rig:

It's also very fast on my Netbook. Here's how I have it configured to save screen real estate:

I could write an article on why I switched from Firefox to Chrome ... and back.

Firefox in Linux is FAR FAR faster than in Windows. Firefox with 30 mods opens up almost instantly, even faster than Chrome in Windows.

As far as browsing speed Firefox and Chrome seem to be about the same to me.

It comes down to this, there is no real, usable reason to use Chrome as a daily browser UNTIL there is extension support. The perceived speed is negligible, and can be achieved in Firefox by editing the about:config page. click

Those tweaks used to be done with Fasterfox, but they haven't updated it to work with FF3 yet..

You notice just how much quicker Chrome is if you use it for a month and try to use FF3 again.

You guys should try Chrome on a marginal system.

My workstation at work is a 2.4Ghz P4 single core, no HT. At idle, it runs at around 50% CPU usage just running security and network stuff and the JVM.

I will tell you that Chrome something I really really like on that PC. FireFox runs like a dog while Chrome is fast and snappy.

But at home....IE7 is what I use on my Vista64 machine.

Oh, and to the guy that posted screenshots above... where's the tabs on Firefox? You have to admit Google's minimalist design with Chrome is pretty cool.

Until Chrome support colorawareness like FF3 or Safari on OS X, then I will use it for texting web design but that is about it.

I switched from Firefox 3 to Chrome just last week after dabbling with it a bit when it was first released. The bottom line, for me, is that I can get done what I need to get done faster than I can in Firefox, and Chrome has all the features I need (I'm not an ad-blocker like 95% of you seem to be). Startup time is significantly faster, page loads are marginally faster, the bookmark bar is obscenely intuitive and easy to use, the startup page is pretty handy and the download "manager" is excellent. I also keep finding all sorts of little tricks with the address bar that help smooth out my browsing experience.

Like Met-AL said, Chrome is, for whatever reason, significantly less sluggish than a bare install of FF3 on slower machines. We have a couple Celeron-equipped machines here at the office, and Chrome is as responsive on those machines as it is on my home rig. Very cool.

There are only three more features I'd like to see in Chrome: minimize to tray or some similar function, a somewhat better spell checker and a more Safari-like inline search function.

been using chrome for a while now... It just feels like what a browser should be. I've used browsers such as IE8, FF3, opera, safari 4 win, and many iterations of those browsers but when I started up chrome it just felt "right".

not to mention I have a friend with the vundo virus and before I took it off his computer I found that any program you launch that may need to access the internet(even game apps to check four updates) His antivir Virus protection would go off. I would just click deny access and keep going. This happened in both IE and firefox but when I installed chrome he could surf with no warning popups from his virus scanner.

Fact of the matter is blocking ads is good for two reasons:
Loading times
Malware sites (though not much of an issue for us here).

Chrome fails at life on both of those.

[H] Ads are fine. They're not that bad at all. But sites overly-active with ads just get to be ridiculous.

Fact of the matter is blocking ads is good for two reasons: Loading times...Malware sites (though not much of an issue for us here). Chrome fails at life on both of those.
Please. What malware sites are you frequently visiting that you need to be running Adblock for, exactly?

Please. What malware sites are you frequently visiting that you need to be running Adblock for, exactly?

Not malware sites. Just links to them ;)

Like I said, it's not an issue for folks here as much as folks at home. Blocking all those stinking banner ads in the first prevents a ton of crap from eventually getting downloaded because they follow those links.

Testing chrome right now. It is a tiny bit slower than FF3. But...I have not gotten any pop ups with chrome or any stupid ads on FF3. Its probably slower because I did speed tweaks on FF3. Anyone know how to speed up chrome?

Tried it when it was released. Interesting Beta with limited functionality. It must still be very limited if someone actually using it is a news story.

BTW when I tested it. It had no speed advantage. For any page I went to and curiously it was slower on some google pages.

How about a story when it actually gets some useful functionality.

Back