Why front-end development may be the new frontier

I'm a full stack web developer and lead developer of the JAB Creations web platform. Yeah, front end technologies require a lot of time though usually because the software is, well, not what it could be. While working on the platform there is a harshly strict no-frameworks/libraries policy. I love hardware and I love performance and code works best when you treat it like Legos, interchangeable. You don't want some large static mold that only wants to work in certain ways; you want basic and very well refined functions that are highly reusable. If you go through the documentation for JavaScript functions they appear bland and boring though when you start utilizing them they very quickly allow much greater complexity.

Also I recently came across some videos about object oriented programming versus procedural programming; I think most people have lost any meaningful comprehension of what OOP is to begin with! You define something and you keep working with it instead of having to contentiously figure out what that something is, that is all OOP is; everything beyond that are different/additional programming concepts (that aren't inherently valid or invalid, subjective to the need/use).

People will eventually find that some technologies simply produce better results faster requiring less complexity. Good code should be highly flexible, stable and modular which frameworks and libraries (at least in my own experience) are anything but. At the end of the day the only question that ultimately should matter to any developer working with code is simply this: how does this help my customer accomplish what they need?

I'm a full stack web developer and lead developer of the JAB Creations web platform. Yeah, front end technologies require a lot of time though usually because the software is, well, not what it could be. While working on the platform there is a harshly strict no-frameworks/libraries policy. I love hardware and I love performance and code works best when you treat it like Legos, interchangeable. You don't want some large static mold that only wants to work in certain ways; you want basic and very well refined functions that are highly reusable. If you go through the documentation for JavaScript functions they appear bland and boring though when you start utilizing them they very quickly allow much greater complexity.

Also I recently came across some videos about object oriented programming versus procedural programming; I think most people have lost any meaningful comprehension of what OOP is to begin with! You define something and you keep working with it instead of having to contentiously figure out what that something is, that is all OOP is; everything beyond that are different/additional programming concepts (that aren't inherently valid or invalid, subjective to the need/use).

People will eventually find that some technologies simply produce better results faster requiring less complexity. Good code should be highly flexible, stable and modular which frameworks and libraries (at least in my own experience) are anything but. At the end of the day the only question that ultimately should matter to any developer working with code is simply this: how does this help my customer accomplish what they need?

Unfortunately, "rapid prototyping" is the storm in the software industry nowadays...

Reactions: erek
like this
Unfortunately, "rapid prototyping" is the storm in the software industry nowadays...

True and as a hardware enthusiast the weakest area when it comes to performance: software! Funny thing is while it takes longer to write good software (you know, like a game that actually loads, doesn't crash three seconds before you save the past three hours, etc) once you have a foundation you can go much faster because you're not drowning in maintenance.

I was born in the early 1980s and when I was in and just out of high school there was little-to-no Internet connectivity. If you played a game and there were issues that was it unless you were lucky enough to have a friend who was better off. Yeah, patches existed though I mostly got them off of CDROMs that would come with computer magazines. These days there are day-one patches that are, well, ridiculous. Sad thing was that Intel killed off HardOCP. One of my long term goals was to (years from now still) have the website convert over to my software. I'd fix a lot of the pagination issues and the pages would load faster.

I think it was a Coreteks video where he said most progress (IPC, etc) comes from die-shrinks. I tried a Windows-like Linux distro that would easily run circles around Windows and OS X though sadly the project would only get so much support due to it's general obscurity. If you want faster computers you not only want better hardware you want lower level software. Yeah, web requires high level software though you can minimize the penalties. In example if you transfer (disk-to-disk or via FTP) a single 100 megabyte file will transfer faster than 100 one megabyte files because each file has a header which results in yet another request. I've seen websites load 20+ megabytes with well over 100 or more HTTP requests...for what? Five copies of jQuery! 20 different plugins, etc. Any way fun stuff though I have to get back to building the future. :ROFLMAO:

Back