Why don't they have blue tooth built into most mobos?

Circumnavigate

Limp Gawd
Hey I'm trying to figure out which motherboard to get for a ThreadRipper 3970X.

I was looking at the different boards on newegg and it looks like I could only find one with bluetooth built in.

Does anyone know why bluetooth is not more commonly built into motherboards?

What would be the best way to get bluetooth on a desktop, using one of those USB receivers?

Hey I'm trying to figure out which motherboard to get for a ThreadRipper 3970X.

I was looking at the different boards on newegg and it looks like I could only find one with bluetooth built in.

Does anyone know why bluetooth is not more commonly built into motherboards?

What would be the best way to get bluetooth on a desktop, using one of those USB receivers?
That may be a platform issue as its pretty common for bluetooth on non-hedt boards with wifi.

If I search for sTRX4 boards on Newegg with some kind of wifi I get 8 results (sold by Newegg, new, not refurb/open box) and all of them have bluetooth. I still get 8 if I limit it to ax wireless.

A whole lot of wifi equipped boards use a little M.2 card to provide wifi. Those cards usually support bluetooth as well. If you buy a wifi board with this setup typically they have everything all set up. The M.2 card is installed and they've run wires from the M.2 card to antenna plugs in the backplate.

You can get boards that just have the wireless M.2 slot. You probably won't get the wiring or the spots to plug in antennas on the backplate. If you go that route be careful buying an M.2 wireless card. Intel decided to move some of the wireless logic into the chipset so some Intel wireless M.2 cards (maybe other brands? no idea) only work with boards that have that chipset support. They're both "M.2" but they are not the same or compatible.

A whole lot of wifi equipped boards use a little M.2 card to provide wifi. Those cards usually support bluetooth as well. If you buy a wifi board with this setup typically they have everything all set up. The M.2 card is installed and they've run wires from the M.2 card to antenna plugs in the backplate.

You can get boards that just have the wireless M.2 slot. You probably won't get the wiring or the spots to plug in antennas on the backplate. If you go that route be careful buying an M.2 wireless card. Intel decided to move some of the wireless logic into the chipset so some Intel wireless M.2 cards (maybe other brands? no idea) only work with boards that have that chipset support. They're both "M.2" but they are not the same or compatible.
True. Among the two Intel AX cards only the AX200 will work. The AX201 is identical except for the circuitry that works only with select Intel CPUs and chipsets.

Other Intel wireless NGFF cards that are only selected-Intel-platform-compatible are the AC9461, AC9462 and the AC9560.

By the way, my Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming has neither onboard Wi-Fi nor a provision to add an NGFF Wi-Fi card. Thus, I am forced to use a PCI-e card or a USB dongle. And my current PCI-e Asus-branded Wi-Fi card uses a Broadcom chipset.

I'm of the opinion that Bluetooth modules should be standard on all boards up and down the stack... Since like 5 years

Raspberry Pis have been coming with one FFS

What BT devices are you hooking up? With the exception of my HTPC, I’ve never had a desire for BT on anything but my phone...? :confused:

I got into a heated debate with a coworker on how the work PCs don't have BT, but her computer at home does. Says its all standard and there's no reason. I thought perhaps I was in the dark. Come to find out, she was referring to her tablets.

Glad this thread came up. I forgot all about that debate and confirmed I was right. :D

Yeah... dunno. The htpc I wanted it for a keyboard, but it also had a 2.4 dongle.

I like it on laptops -- BT mouse. Just turn it on and go. No unrolling or coiling up cables when you're done. Also for headphones. I'd like it on a desktop if I used headphones at home, but generally I don't so no need for it.

What BT devices are you hooking up? With the exception of my HTPC, I’ve never had a desire for BT on anything but my phone...? :confused:
I don't like using my cell phone to listen to podcasts, music and youtube videos. For some reason all of the exercise headphones are bluetooth only.

Most people use desktop speakers or gaming headsets when using a gaming PC. Very few people have a need for bluetooth on a gaming system, and the ones that do can easily use a $5 USB dongle. Gaming systems generally have an excess of USB ports anyways, so the use of a USB port isn't a big deal.

Gaming desktops, especially smaller form factors, are usually limited in PCB space anyways. Most people will usually prefer a better audio setup or better power delivery over integrated Bluetooth/WiFi.

When I built my 3960x rig most of the mb had bt/Wi-Fi? I know mine does and it works well for uesing an xbox controller ect

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It costs like $10 for a BT 4.0 dongle, $20 for a BT 5.0 dongle. It's really a non-issue. If you don't want to use a USB dongle you can always get a combined wifi/BT m.2 slot card as well, like they use on laptops. However, with the way most computer desktop cases are designed, you are better off just using the dongle for signal strength reasons.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V1SZCY6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Good recommendation. I was running this on my last setup before swapping to the onboard BT on the X570 Aorus Master. I can say that I have less disconnect with the USB BT versus the onboard for whatever reason.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back