Why don't budget cases have...

skadebo

[H]ard|Gawd
A simple cutout behind the motherboard socket area so that backplate installation etc. is less of a pain in the ass? Antec, I'm watching you!

No doubt it costs money, but so does everything else that makes the case. It's a decent competitive advantage to have.

I don't see how it should cost more to cut out a little section in the metal.

There's that, plus a ton of other "why doesn't this case do x?" complaints you can come up with. Seriously, to get exactly what you want, you just have to mod it yourself.

I don't see how it should cost more to cut out a little section in the metal.

think about it... thousands of cases have to ahve that step added to them... not to mention the cuts have to be inspected to make sure they are done correctly and/or sheated to prevent people from getting cut on them not to mention many of the budget cases build their structure around the mobo plate and thus a square cut out would ruin it.

one question is... why don't you cut the square out then? (you said its easy)

The reason I said budget was because an expensive one should have a removable motherboard tray itself, even then a cutout would be nice. Anyway, I still think my idea is damn genius.

another thing to discredit your idea... most people who spend money on HS's/coolers that require a backplate can afford to spend good money on a case...

another thing to discredit your idea... most people who spend money on HS's/coolers that require a backplate can afford to spend good money on a case...

I wouldn't say so, cases like the coolermaster cm590, 690, Antec P150s etc are bought by many enthusiasts that switch out heatsinks for performance or silence. Furthermore, even high end cases have motherboard trays that slide out but you still have to unscrew the motherboard to get to the backplate. Thus my idea is still epic.

This is a valid question. Anyone who understands stell stamping can tell you this is not an extra step - it's just a die modification that's needed (a one-time event).

MY guess, however, is that they don't add this b/c until the past year or two it hasn't been a big deal. Before the push-pins it was clips - neither of which require a backplane.

Last time I checked not every motherboard has the cpu slot in the exact same place...

This is a valid question. Anyone who understands stell stamping can tell you this is not an extra step - it's just a die modification that's needed (a one-time event).

MY guess, however, is that they don't add this b/c until the past year or two it hasn't been a big deal. Before the push-pins it was clips - neither of which require a backplane.

Good point, I can understand the reasoning behind this.

We have a winner. The mobo tray in my stacker looks like Swiss Cheese. :p

They're almost in the same place, so just make the cutout larger. Anyway, you don't have to accommodate everybody, just the majority.

Or they, like me, just spend money on components that impact performance.

i have no idea why this discussion is still going..

obviously you have no idea about manufacturing costs. the more you do, the more it costs

simple as that.

someone brought up shell stamping, and whilst it is a valid way to get the cut w/ no big extra cut. the cut usually needs to be worked on afterwards, making sure the edges are not sharp in order to no cut through wires and etc.

furthermore, this ruins the stablity of the motherboard. with "budget" cases usually trying to be cheap, they use the motherboard plate as a way to stablize the computer. by cutting it out, it loses integrity and becomes more flimsy. As this cut gets bigger, like you suggested, the case will become even more flimsy, ultimately leading it to being complete crap.

so there you have it. they wont do it themselves, stop being an idiot and staying you have an amazing idea and bitch at everyone who says you are wrong.

these guys MAKE the cases, they usually make the stuff that goes in it too. they know more than you, they know wire management exists and are the ones that make it possible.

These companies have thousands of people, there is no doubt that a few that have thought of this idea already and spend millions trying to get it working, and as you see it is not in the cases, thus.. there is a reason for it.

when it comes to companies and their products.. they are usually smarter than you. if they did not add something in, there is a reason for it. so stop complaining and do it yourself.

Wow lol... I think that post is way overdone... and you're also giving way to much credit to case manufacturers.

If we're talking about 'cheap' cases here, many designs ARE horrible... not because its cheaper to have bad designs but because it costs money to hire someone to create a good design. There aren't 1000s of people doing anything. They made one cheapo design that fits ATX standard and that's the end of it. Maybe change the the looks to keep it modern-ish looking.... really people buying 'cheap' cases are not going to be looking for time saving features that OP suggested... they're buying on price and on looks. That's the problem.

Last time I checked not every motherboard has the cpu slot in the exact same place...

This is probably as good a reason as any, however case manufacturers still put fans or ducts on the side panel, which lines up more or less with the cpu fan.

Besides, most budget cases are for budget builds which don't require a plate mounted on the back of the motherboard, or if it does, it'll be mounted pre-assembly. Budget cases are also less likely to be the piece of a computer that stays while the hardware is swapped out (new cpu/heat sinks etc).

i'm an industrial design major, it costs money to produce cases. more money would put in producing higher end cases.

if companies want to save money then they'll have to produce simple or lower end cases. it's about money. if companies find a way to replace material with and costs cheaper to produce quality cases then they may find themselves winners.

i have no idea why this discussion is still going..

obviously you have no idea about manufacturing costs. the more you do, the more it costs

simple as that.

someone brought up shell stamping, and whilst it is a valid way to get the cut w/ no big extra cut. the cut usually needs to be worked on afterwards, making sure the edges are not sharp in order to no cut through wires and etc.

furthermore, this ruins the stablity of the motherboard. with "budget" cases usually trying to be cheap, they use the motherboard plate as a way to stablize the computer. by cutting it out, it loses integrity and becomes more flimsy. As this cut gets bigger, like you suggested, the case will become even more flimsy, ultimately leading it to being complete crap.

so there you have it. they wont do it themselves, stop being an idiot and staying you have an amazing idea and bitch at everyone who says you are wrong.

these guys MAKE the cases, they usually make the stuff that goes in it too. they know more than you, they know wire management exists and are the ones that make it possible.

These companies have thousands of people, there is no doubt that a few that have thought of this idea already and spend millions trying to get it working, and as you see it is not in the cases, thus.. there is a reason for it.

when it comes to companies and their products.. they are usually smarter than you. if they did not add something in, there is a reason for it. so stop complaining and do it yourself.

Okay there...

Like the other member said, your post is exaggerated and hormonal. 1000s of people? Millions of dollars spent on seeing whether a cut in the motherboard tray is economically viable? My bitching in the thread?

Do you have an understanding of mass production and economies of scale? Added value in a product? Competitive advantage? Also see
even high end cases have motherboard trays that slide out but you still have to unscrew the motherboard to get to the backplate

A simple cutout behind the motherboard socket area so that backplate installation etc. is less of a pain in the ass? Antec, I'm watching you!

sorry maybe im missing something here.....
a: how is a backplate installation a pain in the ass???
b: removable mb trays are over rated and dont really make it much easier to install.
c: there will never be a perfect case. (they are like women...needs constantly change..lol)

They don't put them in budget cases hoping that for those who would need it, you need to get the better and more expensive case.

It's basic marketing.

Back