Why doesn't Linux support vsync?

rezerekted

2[H]4U
I run this http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates in Linux and it says vsync is not supported on the Linux platform. Which explains why all the youtube videos I have viewed under Linux have horrible tearing in them. Or do I have to install Nvidia proprietary drivers to get vsync?

I run this http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates in Linux and it says vsync is not supported on the Linux platform. Which explains why all the youtube videos I have viewed under Linux have horrible tearing in them. Or do I have to install Nvidia proprietary drivers to get vsync?

Vsync is supported naturally. You need to edit the config file manually if you use the open drivers and yes, you should install nvidia closed drivers if you use a nvidia card. IIRC the nvidia driver has a GUI option for tearless desktop.

Nvidia propitiatory drivers, vsync isn't an issue anymore than it is under Windows.

Your window manager has to support vsync also.

If you're using any one of the many modern composited desktops you should be fine.

Your window manager has to support vsync also.

If you're using any one of the many modern composited desktops you should be fine.

Make sure hardware compositing is enabled, I haven't seen a desktop manager that didn't support vsync in years.

How is vsync an issue under Windows???

Anyway, I looked into this and it is because my Linux does not use Xorg.conf and you have to create an Xorg.conf file so you can add the vsync option with the Open source driver.

Now, to my next issue. I looked up what I need to do and came across a youtube tutorial on what to do. First I need to drop to cli and run a command to make the folder writable, by default it is read only. Problem is that when I run the command to make the folder RW exactly as in the tutorial it never works and the folder is still just R. The turorial is done on Elemetary OS too so they must have changed something in an update and why it does not work. I am on Windows right now and why I am not posting the command itself because that is stored in a Linux folder. But I will post it here next time I am in Linux.

Last edited:

What?! How did Windows make it's way into this discussion?

Go to Settings (Control Panel) > Additional Drivers > Select and Nvidia Binary Driver and click 'Apply Changes'.

The open source Nvidia isn't very well supported due to a lack of co operation from Nvidia themselves as a result of protecting their IP, however their Binary (propitiatory) driver is quite simply the best driver package available for Linux. Install the Propitiatory drivers and you shouldn't have any vsync issues.

I offered this advice earlier on, is there any reason you don't want to install the binary driver?

Anyway, I looked into this and it is because my Linux does not use Xorg.conf and you have to create an Xorg.conf file so you can add the vsync option with the Open source driver.

Now, to my next issue. I looked up what I need to do and came across a youtube tutorial on what to do. First I need to drop to cli and run a command to make the folder writable, by default it is read only. Problem is that when I run the command to make the folder RW exactly as in the tutorial it never works and the folder is still just R. The turorial is done on Elemetary OS too so they must have changed something in an update and why it does not work. I am on Windows right now and why I am not posting the command itself because that is stored in a Linux folder. But I will post it here next time I am in Linux.

Did you use the -R option when setting the folder writable? Also you don't need to drop to cli, you use a terminal emulator such as UXTerm.

As someone coming from Windows, you can achieve what you want to do in relation to editing the Xorg.conf file using the GUI quite simply by navigating to the folder containing the file to be edited, right clicking on the folder and selecting 'Run As Administrator'.

Once this is done the folder will open with Superuser permissions and files within the folder can be freely edited and saved. You can't modify files within the system hierarchy without administrator access.

TyfVQ4u.png

Having said that, you are far better off using the proprietary binary drivers with Nvidia hardware.

What?! How did Windows make it's way into this discussion?

Go to Settings (Control Panel) > Additional Drivers > Select and Nvidia Binary Driver and click 'Apply Changes'.

The open source Nvidia isn't very well supported due to a lack of co operation from Nvidia themselves as a result of protecting their IP, however their Binary (propitiatory) driver is quite simply the best driver package available for Linux. Install the Propitiatory drivers and you shouldn't have any vsync issues.

I offered this advice earlier on, is there any reason you don't want to install the binary driver?

I misread what you said about Windows and thought you were dissing it, sorry.

I installed the Nvidia driver and rebooted to a black fucking screen with a blinking cursor, then I remembered I had that exact same issue the last time I tried to install it too. Removed the Nvidia driver and was good again. I am not a magician and can't fix an issue if i don't know what the issue is exactly. The people that make Elementary recommend the open source driver so would rather just use that but with vsync enabled. I don't play games in Linux so do not need the fastest driver, just want vsync working.

As someone coming from Windows, you can achieve what you want to do in relation to editing the Xorg.conf file using the GUI quite simply by navigating to the folder containing the file to be edited, right clicking on the folder and selecting 'Run As Administrator'.

Once this is done the folder will open with Superuser permissions and files within the folder can be freely edited and saved. You can't modify files within the system hierarchy without administrator access.

TyfVQ4u.png

Having said that, you are far better off using the proprietary binary drivers with Nvidia hardware.

Nope, there is no Xorg.conf in the X11 folder on Elementary OS and as I said earlier I have to create an Xorg.conf file in that folder before I can edit a file that does not exist. Problem is that the command to make the folder writable does not work as per the instructions I read. Until I find the correct command to make it writable and create an Xorg.conf file I can't do as you say.

Nope, there is no Xorg.conf in the X11 folder on Elementary OS and as I said earlier I have to create an Xorg.conf file in that folder before I can edit a file that does not exist. Problem is that the command to make the folder writable does not work as per the instructions I read. Until I find the correct command to make it writable and create an Xorg.conf file I can't do as you say.

Are you using sudo when running the command?

There's no Xorg.conf under any modern Linux distro by default anymore, I made one quickly and easily using the proprietary drivers.

If you are using sudo there is no reason why you cannot save a file in the X11 directory, where are you getting the xorg.conf file from?

You still haven't told me if your device is using optimus.

Open a terminal window (ctrl T) and type sudo su, this will request your password, enter your password and you will see the prompt change from a $ symbol to a # symbol, this gives you superuser access.

Once this is done try your command again omitting sudo, if this doesn't work your command is useless.

Use su at your own risk.

Here are pretty recent instructions on the issue but it seems this fix is with using the closed Nvidia drivers. http://iwf1.com/finally-nvidia-tearing-issue-fix-found/

Question: When you tried installing the nvidia driver, did you do it 'windows way' i.e. downloaded it from their site? You should use the built in driver manager instead.

Open a terminal window (ctrl T) and type sudo su, this will request your password, enter your password and you will see the prompt change from a $ symbol to a # symbol, this gives you superuser access.

Once this is done try your command again omitting sudo, if this doesn't work your command is useless.

Use su at your own risk.

OK, thanks, I will try that next time I boot into Linux.

@Boonie, I did use the built in driver manager. Just end up at a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left. I've tried it twice now and same result both times.

Just remember, your chosen distro is a derivative of Ubuntu and the Ubuntu forums are a valued source of information. If I do a search on your particular issue I get a number of fixes that should resolve the issue you're facing when installing the Nvidia drivers and the blank screen with blinking cursor. Perhaps take a look when you get time?

The problem is that elementaryOS is a complete trainwreck. It's another one of these "we made it on our Intel laptops and all we care about is making it look like Mac" distros.

The problem is that elementaryOS is a complete trainwreck. It's another one of these "we made it on our Intel laptops and all we care about is making it look like Mac" distros.

This has crossed my mind a couple of times, I just didn't want to bring it up...

Back