Why doesn't AMD have anything like VIIV?

r00k said:
At least with a mildly lacking ad campaign, i feel that AMD spews out proportionally less bullshit...

Yes. Sure, they don't get as many kills, but at least their accuracy and head-shot rate is higher than Intel's.

Darakian said:
Real world results of 4800 and 955 both at stock.
-Encoding:
---Intel: 2
---AMD: 2

-Image and Video Editing:
---Intel: 3
---AMD: 1

-Games:
---Intel: 0
---AMD: 5

It should be noted that in one encoding task the stock 4800 beat the 4.26Ghz 955 and that every test that the 4800 did not beat the 955 it was the next step down, somthing the 955 does not hold to the 4800.

Price as of newegg:
4800 - $787
955 - Unavailable however the 840 sells for $1,003

Edit: on a side note here is xbits FX-60 review
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-fx60.html

The fx-60 beats the 955 in 13 out of 14 tests, both stock.
FX-60 wins in every gaming benchmark which if you think about it, says a lot. Because the way I see it, if you are buying an FX-60, you're serious when it comes to gaming.. I'd like to see how the 65nm AMDs perform.

Also it should be noted that Intel still make chips that are very hot and consume a lot of power (in relation to their AMD counterparts).

By my count...

Productivity -

Intel - 4
AMD - 1

Audio -

Intel - 2
AMD - 2

Image and Video -

Intel - 3
AMD - 1

Gaming -

yeah, AMD sweeps the board.

Still, overall, the 955EE performs better than the 4800 X2 unless you are a hardcore gamer, and considering no game out there would be remotely CPU limited by either, that shouldn't be a consideration.

The FX-60 is impressive, but the 955 OCed to only 4.26 is neck and neck. Given that Dell can do that type of OC and warranty it, people willing to push it a bit further with better cooling should be able to hit 4.5 or even 5 without a problem.

SpoogeMonkey said:
So.....has anyone figured out what ViiV stands for? Video is inVide? Vintel ist ihr Vuler? Victory is in Vaginas?

bwahahahahahahahahahahah - I like the latter!

Intel: VICTORY IS OURS....errr, in vaginas......

NulloModo said:
By my count...

Productivity -

Intel - 4
AMD - 1

Audio -

Intel - 2
AMD - 2

Image and Video -

Intel - 3
AMD - 1

Gaming -

yeah, AMD sweeps the board.

Still, overall, the 955EE performs better than the 4800 X2 unless you are a hardcore gamer, and considering no game out there would be remotely CPU limited by either, that shouldn't be a consideration.

The FX-60 is impressive, but the 955 OCed to only 4.26 is neck and neck. Given that Dell can do that type of OC and warranty it, people willing to push it a bit further with better cooling should be able to hit 4.5 or even 5 without a problem.

To bad thats old news now that the FX-60 is out today.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2668&p=4
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2668&p=5

ViiV--I heard speculation that it's based off the Roman-numeral 64 (VI-IV). It may have started like that, but I think it won simply because it sounds nice, looks cool, and fits on the "intel inside" logo.

Mohonri said:
ViiV--I heard speculation that it's based off the Roman-numeral 64 (VI-IV). It may have started like that, but I think it won simply because it sounds nice, looks cool, and fits on the "intel inside" logo.

Intel no longer has the "Intel inside" logo..............

josh_1413 said:
Intel no longer has the "Intel inside" logo..............

Doesn't matter. I have always personally thought Intel had crap markting, but then, they don;t really need it.

AMD does, Intel is just like Xerox or Kleenex at this point, a brand completely associated with a product. AMD is overall faster due to the FX60 (sure Intel had then scared with the 955EE which handily trounced the 4800+ aside from gaming, but it is all in what benchmarks you quote). AMD needs to do some major exposure now, let the people know they are the fastest, and the fastest for the buck, because you know Intel has something coming. Way more cash reserves than AMD have their benefits. AMD has the better CPUs for the moment, but unless people know that and trust AMD, they will never break into the OEM market,

NulloModo said:
By my count...

Productivity -

Intel - 4
AMD - 1
You're counting PCMark05 in your productivity results. That benchmark is anything but productive. Also when's the last time your thought word was running slow?

NulloModo said:
Doesn't matter. I have always personally thought Intel had crap markting, but then, they don;t really need it.

You have it backwards. It's marketing that plays a large part in separating the enthusiast or bang-for-your-buck company from the Xerox brand. I don't know what you mean by "crap marketing," Maybe you didn't like some of their commercials or something. But the point is, they market the hell out of themselves and if they didn't, AMD would have gained a lot more on them in the past year. They do need it, and obviously more than AMD because the argument is about AMD failing to market themselves.

They do have great marketing. And they do need it. It's AMD that's wrong in assuming that they don't need it.

RawsonDR said:
You have it backwards. It's marketing that plays a large part in separating the enthusiast or bang-for-your-buck company from the Xerox brand. I don't know what you mean by "crap marketing," Maybe you didn't like some of their commercials or something. But the point is, they market the hell out of themselves and if they didn't, AMD would have gained a lot more on them in the past year. They do need it, and obviously more than AMD because the argument is about AMD failing to market themselves.

They do have great marketing. And they do need it. It's AMD that's wrong in assuming that they don't need it.

QFT

SpoogeMonkey said:
So.....has anyone figured out what ViiV stands for? Video is inVide? Vintel ist ihr Vuler? Victory is in Vaginas?
Giney for the win.

And NulloModo....I literally shake my head at your recent posts with the 99grams of Holy Trilogy crap in Yonah/Merom/Conroe, and the 1gram of moderate twisted truth. I have to see a chiropractor tomorrow, due to a slipped disc from the amount of shaking I've done recently. Thanks.

NulloModo said:

AMD does, Intel is just like Xerox or Kleenex at this point, a brand completely associated with a product. AMD is overall faster due to the FX60 (sure Intel had then scared with the 955EE which handily trounced the 4800+ aside from gaming, but it is all in what benchmarks you quote). AMD needs to do some major exposure now, let the people know they are the fastest, and the fastest for the buck, because you know Intel has something coming. Way more cash reserves than AMD have their benefits. AMD has the better CPUs for the moment, but unless people know that and trust AMD, they will never break into the OEM market,

Why lie?..........Why say stuff like that, when you know it's not true?

Shameless Liar said:
FX-60 wins in every gaming benchmark which if you think about it, says a lot. Because the way I see it, if you are buying an FX-60, you're serious when it comes to gaming.. I'd like to see how the 65nm AMDs perform.

Also it should be noted that Intel still make chips that are very hot and consume a lot of power (in relation to their AMD counterparts).

I was counting based on pure preformance (not that heat and power dont matter) but nullo seems focused on power. Since 65nm AMDs are not out its unfair to have a competition of what they might have at that time (they could screw it up, not that I think they will) all compairisons should be made with what is available now. As for your count there nullo you are making a few mistakes:
1. the 955EE is in the same price range as the FX-60 thus REGARDLESS of what they may be designed to do they are competing, mind you the 4800 still beats the 955 in a number of benchmarks.
2. Synthetic benchmarks mean shit
3. "an OC'd 955 is neck and neck with the FX-60" Kindly STFU and compair an OC'd vs an OC'd and a stock vs a stock please.
4. You do not need to defend your choice in processor by trying to make others believe it is the best

If after all this you still want to buy intel by all means do so, just don't try to tell us all that it's somthing it's not.

That basically sums it up.

AMD can be alikened to the AK-47 and Intel is the new advanced high-tech weapon that still pales in comparison to the efficiency of the aforementioned rifle.

robberbaron said:
That basically sums it up.

AMD can be alikened to the AK-47 and Intel is the new advanced high-tech weapon that still pales in comparison to the efficiency of the aforementioned rifle.

I would put it the other way. AMD is more like the M16. Beautifully engineered, accurate, efficient. AMD uses newer architecture, whereas Intel is still stuck with netburst

Intel, like the AK47 permeates the world. The manufacturing tolerances aren't nearly as close, but it gets the job done. Beautiful in its simplicity.

Both have their merits, but intel continues to dominate because it is cheap, it is EVERYWHERE, and it gets things done almost as well as AMD (M16) and sometimes better (just like the AK47).

<Samuel.L.Jackson>

The AMD64, when you absolutely, positively gotta frag every mutha-fuckah in the room, accept no substitutes.

</Samuel.L.Jackson>

Why does AMD need more marketing? Most of the intel ad's I see are connected in some way with a big name computer manufacturer..... AMD can't advertise their chips just on their own, because the people who would buy just a chip and build a computer are already computer enthusiests and know about amd without commercials or through computer related website ads, etc. AMD needs deals with dell etc to sell their chips to the mainstream....like the new delll xxx with the amd 64 processor blah blah blah compared to intel processors. Without a computer company to go along its just AMD 64 processor and mainstream people go great but what company can i buy it in.

covertclocker said:
NulloModo has his head so far up his ass, its coming out his mouth. Wrap your brain around that for a second. If you think making power hungry toasters for processors that don't even compete clock for clock with AMD chips is = 2 teh win, then go waste your money.

Here where people are sensible and like to have high IPC, low heat, and low power bills, we will continue to kick Intels' Ass. I think it is rather sad that the 955EE has to be overclocked to 4.22GHz to compete with something that is 2.6GHz, has half the cache per core and is on a bigger fab process (90 vs. 65nm). I think you need a reality check and need to take care of your insanity issues. How anyone can justify high Idle temps and horrible idle power draws will always mystify me.

I am anxious to see how much more a blow out it will be when AMD moves to its 65nm process with higher clocks and lower power consumption.

Don't even get me started on Int-hells bus architecture...

Personally, I don't give a damn about heat, power requirements, or performance per clock. What matters is performance overall. The 955EE has already been shown to run at 6Ghz stable on phase change, 5Ghz on water is therefore reasonable, and 4.5 on air has been proven. The 955 OCs much better than any of the AMD chips. The FX60 is better stock for stock, I can't argue against that, but when you crank both to the max, the 955 wins.

NulloModo said:
Personally, I don't give a damn about heat, power requirements, or performance per clock. What matters is performance overall. The 955EE has already been shown to run at 6Ghz stable on phase change, 5Ghz on water is therefore reasonable, and 4.5 on air has been proven. The 955 OCs much better than any of the AMD chips. The FX60 is better stock for stock, I can't argue against that, but when you crank both to the max, the 955 wins.

I know you personally don't, since that's one less liability against Intel that you can ignore, but in the big picture, it matters. The Intel chip consumes close to 2x as much power as the AMD. That's twice as many new power plants we have to build to power Intel's chips than AMD's.

For businesses, the TCO of Intel is insanely high compared to AMD due to the overpricing of Intel CPU's and the power they pull when ran together. There's a reason that businesses are looking to AMD more and more for their servers.

NulloModo said:

How misguided. I don't mind having a nuclear reactor in my backyard to power my overclocked P4, I just have to deal with the nuclear waste and radiation. No Biggie! Give me a break. You need to overclock to ridiculously high speeds to try to compete with AMD. I could make many different analogies right now, but I wont.

Simple fact of the matter is that Intel's platform sucks and AMD doesn't. How can you defend the need to blow $1000+ for a chip that can't and wont compete with AMD's chips clock for clock and STILL have to buy a new motherboard for a new chipset that supports a mild speed bump that barely does anything for performance. If AMD did this, they too could have massive amounts of money for their Marketing Dept. Sorry, but anyway you class the Inthell chips, they are still turd sandwiches, except maybe with a gold bow. :p

I think what I will like most about this is how my 270$ 165 will dominate the 1200$ 955EE when it's running at 2.7Ghz. If I need more CPU power than that I'll be getting a server board, and duel duel core Opteron 8xx series, not some over priced "Extreme Edition" Intel chip.

I think Nullo is trying to win this argument by saying he doesn't care about XYZ, when in fact its XYZ that sets AMD apart from Untel

I get to win the fight because I get to show up with an uzi! You only get to bring a pocketknife. How childish. Quote an equal comparison. You want to put a 955 on phase change? put an FX60 (or hell, a DC opteron) on phase change. I think centvalny has his up to 3.9GHz. Yeah, you're running scared from that.

Back