Why does Windows 11 now make me log into my Microsoft account?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
So frustrating, this newer up[date this Summer with Windows 11. Every time I restart or do a fresh boot up of my PC, I don't have the old simple login screen anymore. it makes me og into my Microsoft account before I can enter into the dekstop.

WTF? Who thought that was a good idea? it's an annoying and stupid process I don't like or want.

is there a way to go back to the old way wihtout needing to log into my MS account?

Windows Hello + Pin is the preferred alternative, but there's ways to bypass the login screen as well.

I don't own windows 11 and I can't help there but out of curiosity let me clarify the question. As I undestand, Microsoft has changed the way you can login into desktop?

Simply unlocking screen and typing password as before won't work anymore? Now you must take extra step and login into Microsoft account every time pc boots up?

Any windows 11 users here?

I don't own windows 11 and I can't help there but out of curiosity let me clarify the question. As I undestand, Microsoft has changed the way you can login into desktop?

Simply unlocking screen and typing password as before won't work anymore? Now you must take extra step and login into Microsoft account every time pc boots up?

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

It's just a stupid, needless extra step I don't want. Not sure why they changed it to be this way recently?

As I undestand, Microsoft has changed the way you can login into desktop?
I have not perceived any single change from Windows 10, maybe it is because I just have Windows 10 era account and updated to 11, but I still have no password to locally login not linked to an account pure local account for games.

Last edited:
The last time I used W11 I ended up just creating a new user account, giving it admin priviledges, than deleting the initial account I used that was linked to a Microsoft account. I'm not sure if this still works, but it might be worth a shot. I'm back in the lovely land of Linux myself with all of my machines. I'm always changing stuff up though basically just for fun.

Just got a windows 11 laptop. It hasn't asked me to login to a microsoft account yet. Will let you know if it changes.

note: I did not do initial setup with any network connection and never entered any microsoft account at any point.

I upgraded from windows 10 to 11 and initially I had to create a Microsoft account (to join the insider beta) because I didn’t have one, but it gave me the create a pin option so now it’s just a PIN number on the Lock Screen to log in. It’s actually quicker than typing out a password.

Microsoft certainly prefers when people use a Microsoft account. For the last 15+ years Google has required a Google account on Google devices and Apple has required an Apple account on Apple devices. For some reason, no one complained; on the contrary, everyone ate it up like candy. So of course, Microsoft wants to join that party.

But to this day, there is and always has been ways to create a local account on Windows 10 and 11. It's easier on Pro but can be done on Home also. Microsoft definitely employs some social engineering to steer people toward creating a Microsoft account, but you can still create a local account. I don't use a Microsoft account on any of my devices and I don't plan to.

Microsoft certainly prefers when people use a Microsoft account. For the last 15+ years Google has required a Google account on Google devices and Apple has required an Apple account on Apple devices. For some reason, no one complained; on the contrary, everyone ate it up like candy. So of course, Microsoft wants to join that party.

But to this day, there is and always has been ways to create a local account on Windows 10 and 11. It's easier on Pro but can be done on Home also. Microsoft definitely employs some social engineering to steer people toward creating a Microsoft account, but you can still create a local account. I don't use a Microsoft account on any of my devices and I don't plan to.

Ditto.

Ditto.

For the last 15+ years Google has required a Google account on Google devices
Not really. Android devices encourage you to have a google account, but you can just totally not sign into to it. No access to the playstore, but there's nothing stopping you from getting the essentials from APK pure, your own backups, or wherever.

For the last 15+ years Google has required a Google account on Google devices and Apple has required an Apple account on Apple devices. For some reason, no one complained; on the contrary, everyone ate it up like candy.
Can't speak for mobile but Apple doesn't require an Apple account for their desktop systems.

It's a bit disingenuous using that as an example where they provide a straightforward way to skip it on install and never deal with it again if desired to the way Microsoft has tried to force it on unsuspecting users while only leaving the most tech savvy to understand the tricks to work around it (remember years ago when Microsoft also entirely swapped out the active local account login for an MS one if users had logged into their Store?). Of course users would complain about how Microsoft has gone about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lunar
like this
Can't speak for mobile but Apple doesn't require an Apple account for their desktop systems.

It's a bit disingenuous using that as an example where they provide a straightforward way to skip it on install and never deal with it again if desired to the way Microsoft has tried to force it on unsuspecting users while only leaving the most tech savvy to understand the tricks to work around it (remember years ago when Microsoft also entirely swapped out the active local account login for an MS one if users had logged into their Store?). Of course users would complain about how Microsoft has gone about it.
This. Computers are NOT smartphones. While I'm sure there are benefits to linking an MS account to Windows, or an Apple account to MacOS, this shouldn't be a requirement. There are many use cases in which linking an online account may cause issues or at a minimum not be desired. Offline air-gapped systems come to mind. The utility and use cases of mobile devices and traditional computers are not comparable, and therefore they should be treated differently. I'm so sick of people apologizing for Microsoft's shady underhanded crap that they pull. The account setup process on Windows is so manipulative. Even if you have a version that supports local account creation they send you through multiple screens trying to almost scare you into linking an MS account because of all the functionality you'll "lose". Yeah, well I value my privacy and control of my system more. Thank God for Linux.

booted up my wife's windows 11 laptop today, which has never been logged into a microsoft account.

was greeted to a screen that requested either logging in with Microsoft account or creating one. there was no option to bypass. couldnt bring up taskmgr. as i was frustratededly looking up solutions on my phone i looked back and the screen was gone.

shutdown and boot back up is normal, no microsoft account login. very confusing.

booted up my wife's windows 11 laptop today, which has never been logged into a microsoft account.

was greeted to a screen that requested either logging in with Microsoft account or creating one. there was no option to bypass. couldnt bring up taskmgr. as i was frustratededly looking up solutions on my phone i looked back and the screen was gone.

shutdown and boot back up is normal, no microsoft account login. very confusing.

Interesting.

Back