Why does W10 keep reinstalling my GPU driver after I uninstall it and have it set to not autoinstall

• Thread starter Deleted member 108676
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 108676

Spare me the "upgrade to 7" bullshit. I have 10 and can't go back to 7.

If I tell windows to uninstall my GPU drivers and restart, it better not reinstall my drivers. I'm doing it for a very specific reason and don't want it reinstalling what I just uninstalled. How anyone thinks this is okay is beyond me.

At any rate, how do I stop this? I even told windows to not reinstall drivers by going to Right click on Start --> Control Panel --> System --> Advanced System Settings --> Hardware --> Device Installation Settings --> Select No, Save Change

Drivers for what GPU? Trying to find the other thread where someone is have this issue with Quadro drivers I believe. Pretty confusing to me in that I've had no issue with installing whatever GeForce and Intel drivers on my desktop and Surface Book. If I uninstall all the GeForce drivers on my Surface Book it'll install the ones from Windows Update but if install nVidia reference drivers it's WU never overrides the later drivers. Same thing with Intel iGPU drivers.

This has been a hunch of mine, might be completely wrong but what level of telemetry are you using? Are you using some kind of tool to block out stuff? All of my telemetry/privacy settings are at default. And as I've said, never seen this happen and I find it weird that I can override the GPU drivers, both of them on a Surface Book and it never tried to reinstall from WU.

While I have heard of this as being as issue a lot of people have, I personally have only been able to re-create it doing one thing...

Windows automatically looks for drivers in Windows Update as part of a new install. You need to let those installations finish before installing your 3rd party drivers. Ideally, you should keep running Windows Update until there are no more updates. Then start your driver installs. The perpetual install/uninstall is a symptom of having two driver install packages running at the same time.

I've come across this issue before regarding Nvidia drivers, it's a PITA. I wanted to run a certain version of driver due to game compatibility issues and W10 constantly kept updating the driver. The process works fine under Linux, on the Windows platform it's no more than a really bad idea.

Try this procedure, worked for me. The trick is running the 'show or hide updates' troubleshooter and using it as described:

Type "Device Installation Settings" in your Windows search box. A result named "Change device installation settings" should show up.

•Let me choose what to do

•Never Install Driver Software from Windows Update

Once that's done, you have to go into the Windows Update Settings and change it to "Notify Schedule a restart".

At this point, the driver won't automatically install, but will be listed in Windows Update. Microsoft expects you to install it anyways. What you need to do is hide it from Windows Update. Download the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package found on that web page. That tool will then let you see what's in Windows update and you can then hide it from Windows update.

I thought everyone disabled WU driver updates as a routine thing. Worst idea ever.

Which video card are you using? I havent had windows update my gpu drivers in over a year......And i havent even made any specific settings that i know of aside from using the current drivers out. Even then all i do is upgrade over them....Anyways it looks like an nvidia thing?

I'm on Windows 10 preview and although it uses the current driver, every new update resets all the display settings to default. it's making me want to revert back.

I'm on Windows 10 preview and although it uses the current driver, every new update resets all the display settings to default. it's making me want to revert back.
lol i dropped out of the insiders when TH2 went live, cause I know first hand what you speak. lol unless dx14 comes along ill just wait for the offical builds lol

At any rate, how do I stop this? I even told windows to not reinstall drivers by going to Right click on Start --> Control Panel --> System --> Advanced System Settings --> Hardware --> Device Installation Settings --> Select No, Save Change
There's been a lot of debate over that setting. In my experience, that setting does not block updates from coming through Windows Update. You have to use the Show/Hide utility that was linked earlier.

I believe that setting only blocks driver updates from PnP devices at the time of installation/connection to the PC. If the driver was pushed to WU then you'll eventually get it unless you hide it with the utility.

Had this with a small form factor lenovo. The Windows 10 Intel GPU drivers kept crashing it. So uninstalled, slapped on the older drivers that worked and switched off all the bits re. auto driver updates etc. etc. Even specifically listed that one. No joy, every time it rebooted it installed the bad driver.

In the end we just trashed the machine and replaced it.

Looool at all the Win10 users.

Looool at the Anti Windows 10 crusader. :rolleyes:(n) Wow, I came into to work today and you would not believe what I saw, Windows 10 running completely stable 24/7, LOL, no really! :D

*Not directed at you OEM.*

Wait so you need to use a utility to hide updates? You can't do it yourself like you could on Windows 7?

Wait so you need to use a utility to hide updates? You can't do it yourself like you could on Windows 7?
The vast majority of users do not need to hide anything. Rolling updates for the OS and drivers are a natural and beneficial thing.

This is all part of MS's desire to reduce fragmentation by ensuring that vast majority are riding on the same OS version with the same drivers.

The vast majority of users do not need to hide anything. Rolling updates for the OS and drivers are a natural and beneficial thing.

This is all part of MS's desire to reduce fragmentation by ensuring that vast majority are riding on the same OS version with the same drivers.
I'm... not sure if this is sarcasm or not. Help?

I mean in theory it's a good idea, especially when you first install the operating system, but this just causes more headaches for the users.

Looool at the Anti Windows 10 crusader. :rolleyes:(n) Wow, I came into to work today and you would not believe what I saw, Windows 10 running completely stable 24/7, LOL, no really! :D

None of the desktops mush be running with Administrator privileges...

....Just joking, although the Windows platform is a virus/malware ridden cesspool and if workplace desktops are running with full administrator privileges that's pretty poor management.

I'm... not sure if this is sarcasm or not. Help?

I mean in theory it's a good idea, especially when you first install the operating system, but this just causes more headaches for the users.
Again, for most users, it's not supposed to. As drivers get certified, they are pushed to users. It's intended to be a smooth, painless process that blends in with OS updates.

MS does a fair job of blocking drivers for specific devices that are known to be problematic or aren't ready yet. I've actually seen it in action, as I was tinkering with a third party Windows Update tool that inadvertently revealed and installed these problem drivers, and I had fun troubleshooting the blue screens and crashes. I recognized that MS's own WU tool intentionally said "this hardware ID is not right for this driver, which is intended for other similar IDs." They are aware that not every nVidia GPU should have the same driver, etc.

These screwups from drivers delivered through WU should be a minority issue, and the tool I linked earlier is intended to deal with that.

Again, for most users, it's not supposed to. As drivers get certified, they are pushed to users. It's intended to be a smooth, painless process that blends in with OS updates.

MS does a fair job of blocking drivers for specific devices that are known to be problematic or aren't ready yet. I've actually seen it in action, as I was tinkering with a third party Windows Update tool that inadvertently revealed and installed these problem drivers, and I had fun troubleshooting the blue screens and crashes. I recognized that MS's own WU tool intentionally said "this hardware ID is not right for this driver, which is intended for other similar IDs." They are aware that not every nVidia GPU should have the same driver, etc.

These screwups from drivers delivered through WU should be a minority issue, and the tool I linked earlier is intended to deal with that.

When it comes to gaming, display drivers can be WHQL certified but not offer the best performance for certain gaming titles - This is where the rolling update model is unsuitable for MS operating systems. Basically, it's well known that the latest drivers aren't always the best.

When it comes to gaming, display drivers can be WHQL certified but not offer the best performance for certain gaming titles - This is where the rolling update model is unsuitable for MS operating systems. Basically, it's well known that the latest drivers aren't always the best.
The drivers pushed by WU are not typically the latest. Heck I use the WU drivers and I'm a few releases back. As well, different video cards will end up at different versions, depending on what the manufacturer settles on. If Dell wants you at a certain driver on their nVidia-equipped Precision laptop, that's the one you'll be on.

That said, if you want those bleeding edge drivers for performance, ala nVidia's "game ready" drivers, you're welcome to install them, and WU isn't -supposed- to tinker with them, at least not while WU's version is lower than the one you install.

Their game ready drivers don't always work. I remember when Advanced Warfare was released, the supposed game ready drivers had great performance until about 2 mins in the game when all 8GB of vram on my 980Ti filled up and the game became a slideshow. The previous drivers worked better, except W10 constantly wanted to upgrade them...

It's the one advantage Apple have, that's also a disadvantage depending on how you look at it - A controlled platform. Windows has to work on a plethora of platforms and it's for this reason a rolling release doesn't really work.

OP you have any luck? I haven't seen anybody mention DDU yet. it will stop reinstall of the drivers or use the tool linked above.

It's only temporary, soon Microsoft will make you upgrade to the next build and there is always the chance it will pork your system. That can never happen on my Win8.1 because I am in control of it and not Microsoft.

Uh, my PC is not a console but it sounds like that is what Microsoft wants us to think it is. New vid drivers can break old games so this is the dumbest Microsoft idea ever. I run my system with the vid driver I want and not what fucking Microsoft thinks I should use. Stop being sheep and demand that Microsoft give you back control of driver updates. They can even make it optional so saying this is done for the greater good just does not fly with me.

Last edited:
old drivers can also bsod loop a new pc in windows 10... glad they fixed that shit... and now my pc is running a pure clean no lenovo anything...

I remember letting WU update my vid drivers once and at that time they didn't want to support OpenGL because it was a competitor to DirectX so they took the dtivers and gutted out OpenGL, which I didn't find out until after the fact. Had to uninsintall their driver and install official driver. Yea, I have some games that use OpenGL. The lesson to be learned here is: NEVER TRUST MICROSOFT

Uh, my PC is not a console but it sounds like that is what Microsoft wants us to think it is. New vid drivers can break old games so this is the dumbest Microsoft idea ever. I run my system with the vid driver I want and not what fucking Microsoft thinks I should use. Stop being sheep and demand that Microsoft give you back control of driver updates. They can even make it optional so saying this is done for the greater good just does not fly with me.
Noooot quite sure we're on the same page. My intention is that Windows Update hosts -a version- of a driver. It may not be, and in the case of rapidly changing drivers, usually is NOT the most recent, or anywhere near it. The version delivered to a device is one that the manufacturer(s) have decreed as good for that particular device. You could have five different computers with five different nVidia cards (or some with the same) and they may each end up on different driver versions because nVidia, or Dell, or HP, or Lenovo, or whoever, have decided as such. We have Lenovo ThinkPads at work, similar but not quite the same models, that end up with different nVidia drivers. Dells get yet another one. WU isn't operating in a black hole. The device makers are involved.

Again (again), the device driver update blocker I posted earlier is for those edge case scenarios where a particular WU driver is being finicky in your environment. As I also said, if the USER installs their own driver, WU isn't supposed to tinker with it, unless the WU version ends up becoming newer than the one the user installed (and not being blocked with the linked device driver update blocker).

OK, I was just venting and it wasn't really directed at you personally, sorry if it came across that way.

Anyone wanting an update, I just gave up, installed the card, downloaded the new driver, and told it to do a clean install.

Still, I'm really trying to not bitch about 10 over trivial reasons, but its getting harder and harder.

Now my start bar is doing that dumbass full screen thing even though its not checked on my laptop. Why the fuck is full screen even an option?

What they need to do is bury deep in the system a "I'm not a total fucktard" button that people that know what they're doing can toggle it so 10 doesn't piss us off. I know 99% of people in the world have no idea what a GPU or video driver is, but for us...we need to be able to do this shit.

Its horseshit they do this.

I was going through settings in gpedit in Win8.1 last night and saw a setting there about blocking Microsoft from offering driver updates. Maybe Win10 has the same option. But that means you won't get any driver updates and not just gpu driver.

Ehh win 10 is just all sorts of dickered fresh install would not install on a freshly wiped drive without rebooting after the wipe after it finally loaded I could not set any defaults until I hit the button to reset defaults first...

I am still saying better than 8 but me and vista were better than 8. Windows 10 is a do over of 8 and what should have been. In reality 8.2 is more accurate.

Well I ran the hide tool & have turned it off thru the setting. Still forces the driver updates for nVidia drivers. It's running an older 353 nVidia driver too that won't let me run a few games. So it's fuken useless to me to have something update to an old driver. I have a brand new 368.39 driver sitting on my desktop that I can't use. That worked fine on Win7. So as far as I'm concerned, this is a fuken failure my MICR0$0FT. Nothing stops the driver from forcing it's way in.

Drivers for what GPU? Trying to find the other thread where someone is have this issue with Quadro drivers I believe. Pretty confusing to me in that I've had no issue with installing whatever GeForce and Intel drivers on my desktop and Surface Book. If I uninstall all the GeForce drivers on my Surface Book it'll install the ones from Windows Update but if install nVidia reference drivers it's WU never overrides the later drivers. Same thing with Intel iGPU drivers.

This has been a hunch of mine, might be completely wrong but what level of telemetry are you using? Are you using some kind of tool to block out stuff? All of my telemetry/privacy settings are at default. And as I've said, never seen this happen and I find it weird that I can override the GPU drivers, both of them on a Surface Book and it never tried to reinstall from WU.

Well I call bullshit. How can this 1 person on the entire planet be the only 1 not having this issue. Sounds like a bunch off bullshit

Yea nothing works to stop it installing that old ass driver. Fuken bullshit operating system. I'm done

Back