Why does this happen when my monitor goes to sleep on higher refresh rates then 60Hz ?

Subzerok11

Gawd
So I just got a new monitor a few days ago and something strange is going on whenever I leave a web page up on the screen. So basically when my monitor goes to sleep and when later on I come back I move my mouse to wake up my monitor the web page moves to the upper left corner of the screen and it's really tiny. But this only happens at refresh rates of 100Hz,120HZ,144Hz but it does not happen at 60Hz.

Anyway it's really rare I leave a web page up when I leave my PC for a extended amount of time and if I do I usually minimize the screen anyway, then it's fine.

So why do you think this is happening, have any of you heard of anything like this before ? I'm keeping the monitor either way this is really nothing that will happen to me 95% of the time.

https://displaysolutions.samsung.com/business-monitor/detail/1282/C27JG50

This should have nothing to do with refresh rates but a thing called simulated screen in Windows. The simulated screen is by default 1024x768 px. If your computer comes out of sleep before the display powers up, then Windows might see that the display is not connected and will default to the simulated screen and thus all your windows get resized to the left corner.

This can be changed from the registry, see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...r/1653aafb-848b-464a-8c69-1a68fbd106aa?auth=1

Only my monitor can go to sleep, so what your suggesting won't help me.

Last edited:
But why doesn't it do it when I use the 60Hz refresh rate ? Anyway nothings wrong with the monitor then I guess.

It's possibly some weirdness with the way refresh rate switching is implemented on the monitor, causing it to get redetected. Somewhere along the line it drops to the simulated screen and that fucks up your window sizes. Do the registry changes and see if that fixes it.

I have the same thing happen under 2 conditions.

My PC is on 24hrs/day.
In the morning I switch my PCs screen on and often (but not all the time) all the windows are shrunk to around 640x480 size in the top left corner, overlaid over each other. Except for windows I have minimised.
It also happens after I have played a HDR movie using MPC-BE. When I close the player the screen resets and everything is shrunk in the top left corner.

I thought it might be a default screen size setting from when I uninstalled my driver and it gave me a very low res screen.
I deleted every monitor profile in the registry in all HK sections and rebooted to see if it was a leftover.
And tried changing all 640x480 res settings to a higher res.
Neither helped.

I get the feeling it is related to the system thinking no display is attached momentarily.
(where it gets the screen size information from, I dont know)

For example, my general use display is a 27" TV.
When this is powered off my system still sees it as a display I can use, as if it is powered up. The HDMI connection is kept live.
ie when using my large TV or projector and want to switch back to the 27", I can enable it in NVidia control panel then power it up.
But, if I power it up before selecting it in NVcp, it disconnects then reconnects. It disappears and reappears in NVcp and the disconnect/reconnect noises are made.
When it is the sole display in use and I power it up in the morning, it must sometimes do this.
Causing Windows to think there is no display attached when it disconnects, shoving everything to the top left, shrunk in size.

And when MPC-BE closes after playing an HDR movie on my large TV, it must somehow trigger a display connection reset.
The result is incredibly annoying when I have a lot of windows open, it happens every time.

I use 60Hz when this happens fwiw.
Op: Perhaps when you use a higher refresh rate, the monitor disconnects/reconnects as it powers up.

A solution would be most welcome.
I'll try the above suggestion...

Last edited:
This should have nothing to do with refresh rates but a thing called simulated screen in Windows. The simulated screen is by default 1024x768 px. If your computer comes out of sleep before the display powers up, then Windows might see that the display is not connected and will default to the simulated screen and thus all your windows get resized to the left corner.

This can be changed from the registry, see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...r/1653aafb-848b-464a-8c69-1a68fbd106aa?auth=1
This doesnt work for me.

I caught it in the act leaving the screen at 800x600 res after closing my media player. This is the size of each window I get left with.
Its the lowest res my gfx card supports so that explains the small size.
But why change to the lowest res partway through a process?

Out of curiosity...does this happen with other applications or JUST web pages? If so...what browser are you using?

Out of curiosity...does this happen with other applications or JUST web pages? If so...what browser are you using?
For me it doesnt matter.
Anything that is not minimised gets shrunk.
Its not related to my browser, I doubt the ops is either.

For me it doesnt matter.
Anything that is not minimised gets shrunk.
Its not related to my browser, I doubt the ops is either.

Your issue is something wierd. MPC-BE, scaling, who knows. I dont use that software so I have no clue. But I remember reading some article about Firefox issues and sleep mode, hence my question

Your issue is something wierd. MPC-BE, scaling, who knows. I dont use that software so I have no clue. But I remember reading some article about Firefox issues and sleep mode, hence my question
It happens when closing MPC-BE after playing a HDR video.
Not when I open the video or while its playing, and it happens every single time the player is closed after an HDR video.
Playing a normal video it doesnt do it ever.

It also happens when I power my monitor up some mornings which is nothing to do with MPC-BE, it was happening years before I started using that.
This is similar to the ops problem.
For sure its weird, thats why he created this thread and why I posted in it.

I'm a dumbass....Could this be the problem?

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    30 KB · Views: 0
I'm a dumbass....Could this be the problem?
I dont think so.
NVidia allow UHD 60Hz with ycbcr 4:2:0 colour with HDMI 1.4 and can do lower res with higher refresh in a similar way.
(AMD cards cannot do this)

Even if this wasnt allowed it wouldnt be the issue because you can still select the same resolutions.
Just with lower refresh rates.
And to confirm, I get the same problem at UHD 24Hz.

HDMI 1.4 denies you the bandwidth to get high refresh rates with RGB or ycbcr 4:2:2, 4:4:4.

Back