Why does Outlook 2007 "download" before opening emails w/ attachments?

mtx

Gawd
Happening to a certain user, Outlook keeps forcing the user to "download" before opening the actual email and this only happens when the email has attachments. It does not download or open the attachments though. I made sure the Trust Settings are set to prompt before downloading anything.

and what kind of email setup is this on?
Exchange?
POP3?
IMAP?

ok, that certainly helps.

but you say this user is forced to "download" before opening the email.

what is the user having to do, exactly? I mean, I can read the whole email message in the reading pane, regardless of attachments.

But when trying to view an attachment, yes it will have to "download" the file to the computer, before the file can be opened.

I'm sure that would have to do with the way the attachment is encoded into the email, and the Exchange system doesn't handle it, so the client does.

edit: reading ftl. She's trying to open an attachment, it downloads, but then never opens up. Is this correct? what's the file-type of the attachment?

ok, that certainly helps.

but you say this user is forced to "download" before opening the email.

what is the user having to do, exactly? I mean, I can read the whole email message in the reading pane, regardless of attachments.

But when trying to view an attachment, yes it will have to "download" the file to the computer, before the file can be opened.

I'm sure that would have to do with the way the attachment is encoded into the email, and the Exchange system doesn't handle it, so the client does.

edit: reading ftl. She's trying to open an attachment, it downloads, but then never opens up. Is this correct? what's the file-type of the attachment?

Just want to clarify, this has nothing to do with saving or opening attachments. Just previewing or opening the email message which contains attachments.

The user clicks on certain email without actually opening them (only for viewing in the preview pane) but outlook starts a "downloading" message screen which takes 5-10 seconds to process before the user can actually preview or open the email.

Now I'm not sure if it's only with the user's Outlook, but I forwarded those same emails to my machine which runs 2003 and another colleague's which runs 2007 and we don't get no "download" screen. We are able to view the emails instantaneously and the attachments in the emails are fine as well.

Could there be a setting in Outlook 2007 that automatically downloads attachments to the user's drive without letting them know?

Could there be a setting in Outlook 2007 that automatically downloads attachments to the user's drive without letting them know?

Yeah its called Cached Mode, there is a little tickbox under the account settings.

CEM is what I would have guessed also... but even with CEM disabled, it shouldn't need to download the message, or atleast not take 5-10 seconds.

hmmm...

that is strange. Maybe try turning CEM off, making sure the OST file is deleted, then turn CEM back on? in case maybe the OST somehow got corrupt?

Back