Why does my wireless router disconnect me every 2 minutes?

Le037

Limp Gawd
I didn't actually take the time. It's random maybe. And annoying as fuck. My router is the famous LINKSYS WRT54GL. I'm sure this is a typical networking issue. Other people with wireless computers in my house don't experience this problem.

Could be a number of things but might be worth a try changing to one of the less popular channels to avoid interference with other networks around you. You could use a wireless recon tool such as Kismet to see which channels other people are using, or just go for one that isn't 1, 6 or 11 as they tend to be the defaults.
Does it say anything about weak signal strength, or? Is it the machine in your sig? Have you tried different drivers?

I'd look at what's unique about your laptop.
Ensure latest drivers for the wireless card.
Are you running heavy traffic?
Are you farther away from your router than the other PCs in your house?
Is your laptop free from malware?
Is there a cordless phone in your room that runs on 2.4?

does the router have a really short lease time for IPs?!?

man, it could be a ton of things like Stonecat and Concentric said....

You could try updating the firmware on the router but thats probably not the case as you stated it doesnt happen to any of your other machines. As has been stated before, it could be a huge range of problems. Need a little more information.

I reset the router and now it works. When I try to encrypt the signal though it happens again.

Have you updated the firmware for the router yet? Sometimes that improves compatibility.
Have you updated the drivers for the wireless NIC for your PC yet? Sometimes that improves compatibility.
Have you tried different wireless channels yet?

Back