Why does my subwoofer not work unless I use Bass Redirection?

FireBean

Gawd
This is all hooked up to a computer with a X-Fi sound card.

I have quite of odd setup I got going on here. I have a analog 5.1 receiver with sub-woofer pre-out. I have simple satellites for the surround effect and some full range speakers for the front left and right. They are quite damn good with having a sizable woofer in the bottem with plenty of kick. They are unable to produce reliable bass under 50hz. I picked up a 18" Sub-Woofer that is connected to a properly sized amp. Now, my sub-woofer does not get ANY signal unless I enable bass redirection in the THX Console.

This would be fine if it did not take all the bass away form my fronts. What gives?!

You need more bass than a 18 can give? :eek: Did you look at the speaker size menu?

I know with my JBL receiver if you set all the speaker sizes to large it will turn off the sub, But i can turn the sub back on from the same menu.

You need more bass than a 18 can give? :eek: Did you look at the speaker size menu?

I got the 18 at a real bargain! It's absolutely huge. Looked smaller in the pictures. I did look at the speaker size menu...

What are your crossovers set to?
This receiver does not allow you to set the crossover. It accepts what ever signal you give it. It's the sound card that is the issue.

I know with my JBL receiver if you set all the speaker sizes to large it will turn off the sub, But i can turn the sub back on from the same menu.

I found out about this issue a few weeks ago. It was driving me crazy for while. It's does not make any sense either. Why would setting some speaker to "full range" limit their range?!

I got the 18 at a real bargain! It's absolutely huge. Looked smaller in the pictures. I did look at the speaker size menu...

This receiver does not allow you to set the crossover. It accepts what ever signal you give it. It's the sound card that is the issue.

I found out about this issue a few weeks ago. It was driving me crazy for while. It's does not make any sense either. Why would setting some speaker to "full range" limit their range?!

Im not sure why, It doesn't make sense to me either.

Can you take a pic of the sub? :D

First you need to upmix stereo to 4.1 / 5.1 / 7.1 depending on the output you use for your sub. Otherwise the audio player wont even send a signal to your sub output. Then you need to apply a crossover between the outputs of your font speakers and the sub.. somehow.

Well, I was using the 2009 Star Trek movie that has full Dolby Surround. Every single speaker worked except for the sub. Until I turned on bass redirection...

The whole point of using a sub woofer is to free your smaller speakers from having to try and reproduce low bass notes that they have trouble with.

The whole point of using a sub woofer is to free your smaller speakers from having to try and reproduce low bass notes that they have trouble with.

Tell this to any audiophile and they will look at you weird. I have a speaker setup that does everything I need without the sub. The problem is that they are unable to produce the super low vibrations that your cannon hear that well but feel in your chest. I want to not only hear my movies, music, and game but also feel all it as well...

I think I'm just going to need to get a better receiver.

Tell this to any audiophile and they will look at you weird. I have a speaker setup that does everything I need without the sub. The problem is that they are unable to produce the super low vibrations that your cannon hear that well but feel in your chest. I want to not only hear my movies, music, and game but also feel all it as well...

I think I'm just going to need to get a better receiver.

If you say so. Like i said, the sub free the other speakers from trying to repoduce frequencies they have trouble with. Seems like your problem is the crossover frequency is higer than you'd like.

Back