Why does my PC stutter on large screens? must i upgrade?

wakdady

n00b
My computer is fairly old;
Asus M3a, AMD 5000+, 8800gt, 2gb ram

THE PROBLEM; when i try to watch vids on my 60" 1080p it stutters, also on my 40" 1080p. not all files, mind you, just the high quality ones.
i also run ps3mediaserver and that fails constantly as well.

surely the computing power, although not very quick, should be able to handle this? no?
should i ditch the whole thing, relegate it as a server, and build something new?
OR, could there be an actual problem that i may be able to manage?

Upgrade your video card and you'll be all set. A new card that does the decoding will fix your issue. Check out the sticky thread for recommendations.

Even a lowly 5550 ati card will do the job.

What kind of 1080p playback? You left out the most important information. What bitrate? Are they h.264 encoded? Divx? WMV-HD? What playback software are you using? What drivers?

You should be fine with an 8800GT, I can run 1080p bluray rips just fine with an 8600GT.

Upgrade your video card and you'll be all set. A new card that does the decoding will fix your issue. Check out the sticky thread for recommendations.

Even a lowly 5550 ati card will do the job.

So will his 8800gt. Probably a software issue.

I thought the 8800GT wouldn't do hw decoding. Or was it the 8800GTX?

It must be software. My Opteron 275 will do exactly what you are doing flawlessly, even with PS3MS. Are you watching directly from the machine or an extender? Also, what OS are you using?

I have an 8800gt with an amd 5200 and it runs even really high bitrate stuff without breaking a sweat. Update your codecs and playback software and you should be good to go. Keep in mind some software needs to have hardware decoding enabled in it's settings. Let us know what you're using and we should be able help you get set up.

I had a 8800 Ultra. It was POOR at handling HD content unless I had the CPU overclocked through the roof. Even when I got the content running smooth, the CPU was always nearly maxed out.

I have two old P4 machines, one with an ATI HD 2400 and the other with a Nvidia 8400gs. Both these rigs pump HD a lot better than the older 8800 Ultra. Both these cards cost under $20.

I had a 8800 Ultra. It was POOR at handling HD content unless I had the CPU overclocked through the roof. Even when I got the content running smooth, the CPU was always nearly maxed out.

I have two old P4 machines, one with an ATI HD 2400 and the other with a Nvidia 8400gs. Both these rigs pump HD a lot better than the older 8800 Ultra. Both these cards cost under $20.

The 8800 Ultra was a G80 chip wasn't it?

In that case it wouldn't have all of the decoding features of the G86 and G92 chips.

Are you actually playing the videos on nice 60"er straight from your from the 8800GT or streaming across a network to it?

Everyone is assuming that your GPU us not doing the decoding, and it probably isn't, but it will only take a few seconds to make sure thats the case.

Fire up task manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL, Start Task Manager) and hit the performance tab. Now play one of your videos that are having a problem. If your GPU is doing the decoding, the usage will stay low. If the CPU is doing the decoding (which is bad -- too expensive of a resource to be using for decoding if you don't need to) the usage will spike to 100%.

If the usage is high, it's your codecs or your configuration. If it's low, then it's your hard disk, lan, or something between your CPU and your video files.

Back