Why does my network transfer so slow?

Decker87

Limp Gawd
Hi. I have a basic home network set up through a workgroup. When I copy a file to my other computer, the transfer goes really slow - around an hour for 100MB. This is bad. Granted my router is only rated at 11Mbps, it should still go much faster. The speed it actually transfers equates to about 28K/s tops.

I may have made a mistake converting the numbers, but I know it goes very slow. It's pretty bad when I can connect and transfer files with a computer in Tokyo faster than one in my living room. What's the deal here!?

One of the biggest problems I run into is Duplex settings. Now every one says that the best thing to do is to set both you router/switch to auto and your Nic to auto, however I beg to differ. Each peice of hardware is different and I have found many that do not like to talk to eachother and auto sense the settings. So this would be my first suggestion, try to hard code the duplex settings to 100 megs Full duplex on both your router (if possible) and your workstation.

11 megs...sounds like you're using a B wireless?
Realistic throughput of B wireless is often closer to around 2-3 megs...that's without WEP turned on. Turn on WEP..and throughput drops even further.

If LAN transfers is important to ya, I'd suggest upgrading to G, or even Pre-N/MIMO. They use a newer security, which not only is stronger security wise, easier to setup, but also doesn't have the performance hit that WEP does.

Above all, if network transfers are real slow, put in a wired lan.

I know 802.11b is pretty bad for bandwidth when it is at full speed, yet alone when it is below it. Now limiting down to under 50k a second sounds like a problem.

Sounds like you may have a bad wireless adapter, wireless side of the router going bad, or the router needs a reboot/reset/ upgrade firmware.

Your router may be capable of 11Mbit, but is it actually connecting at that? If your computer thats transferring slow is far away from the router, then it may only be connecting at 1 or 2 Mbit, and the throughput on that is almost nothing.

It would help to post more info about your setup, brand of the router and the network adapters your using, Operating System on the computer, etc.

Back