Why does my LG 31MU97 recommend 3840x2160 over 4096x2160 resolution

eddie500

Gawd
Tried to google this with no luck.

I have a LG 31" 4K 31MU97 monitor. In control panel screen resolution, it shows 3840x2160 as the recommended resolution.

There is the 4096x2160 I can select also.

When looking at the specs it lists the monitor as a 4096x2160.

I am confused about why it recommends the 3840 resolution over the 4096. I would like to choose the best resolution for the monitor and I am thinking there must be a reason why it recommends 3840. From my past experience the best resolution has always said "recommended" on it.

Thanks.

Tried to google this with no luck.

I have a LG 31" 4K 31MU97 monitor. In control panel screen resolution, it shows 3840x2160 as the recommended resolution.

There is the 4096x2160 I can select also.

When looking at the specs it lists the monitor as a 4096x2160.

I am confused about why it recommends the 3840 resolution over the 4096. I would like to choose the best resolution for the monitor and I am thinking there must be a reason why it recommends 3840. From my past experience the best resolution has always said "recommended" on it.

Thanks.

It's not about the monitor, it's rather the OS's fail.

So which resolution is optimal for my monitor? without shrinking or stretching the image. Or the resolution with the least distortion.

I know LCD's have an optimal resolution based on how many pixels they have.

4096x2160 is "true" cinematic 4K, and what I assume you paid for with that monitor? Choose 4096x2160.

So which resolution is optimal for my monitor? without shrinking or stretching the image. Or the resolution with the least distortion.

I know LCD's have an optimal resolution based on how many pixels they have.

Your panel is 4096x2160. Choose that one, regardless of what the OS is recommending.

PS: Off-topic, but what kind of system are you using? I'd be happy to hear about your experience with this monitor as I'm considering one too.

Thanks Gryphon,

It is actually my fathers monitor and he is using it with a GTX 745 video card. I honestly can't judge the quality of it as to me it looks sharp, very good colors, size is nice etc. I am more into gaming monitor and refresh rates, lag, etc.

I did read some amazon reviews and some people complained about color luminosity or something like that. This kind of stuff is beyond me when you go into such detail.

But the 31" is nice, I can feel the loss of space when going to my 27" 1440P, kind of feels cramped. Could also be the 4K resolution does make a difference also even though I had my everything enlarged on the 4K.

Back