Why does manufacturer put dust filter on top outflow fan, but not on rear outflow fan?

Discussion in 'Cases & Case Modding' started by Happy Hopping, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Happy Hopping

Happy Hopping [H]ardness Supreme

pick NZXT Phantom for e.g., there is dust filter to cover the top OUT FLOW 2 x 200 mm fan, but needless to say, the rear 1 x 140 mm fan, there is no dust filter

Now, we all put dust filter on in take fan, that's normal. So what is the reason these manufacturer put dust filter at the top out take fans, but not the rear out take fan?

2. Van0

Van0 n00b

It's on top to prevent dust falling into the system should there not be a fan installed or for when the system is off. This isn't necessary for the rear fan as dust cannot naturally fall into the opening.

GSDragoon and vegeta535 like this.
  3. jimbob200521

jimbob200521 Gawd

Some people use the top vents as intakes, therefore a filter would be a good idea. If used for exhaust, I'd remove it. But you never see a filter on the rear fan because I don't believe anyone would use it as an intake (I'm sure there is someone but they are the exception rather than the rule, so to speak).

4. Happy Hopping

thank you for the input

I have some dust at the top of my phantom but I'm sure it's used as outtake fan

5. Panzer_X

Panzer_X n00b

It could be for it the case has negative presser or something like that.

6. Wang191

Wang191 [H]ard|Gawd

I put a filter on my top vent to keep junk from falling inside the case. You never know when a stray screw will fall off your desk and onto the case. I also had filters on the intake fans to filter the incoming air.

7. Happy Hopping

In the end, because this is a Jonsbo MOD 1 case, I have to put a filter at the rear as well as the top, because w/o it, there is a big hole at the fan, so after I put it together, I have no choice but to put filter in ALL of those spots, rear and top x 3.