Why does Linux networking suck so bad ??????

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
I'm gonna beat this dead hose one more time !!!!!!!

Every once in a blue moon it works but never ever do i get a reasonable transfer rate when it does. In fact it's so damned slow that it's only worthwhile when transferring a couple of small files and this is over a 10G connection. But most of the time I get this -

Screenshot from 2019-08-12 19-50-21.png

Is there anyone on planet earth who knows what this means and how to fix it???

The computer I'm trying to connect to is running Windows Server 2012 R2. I can connect from another Windows box just fine and transfer rate is normal.

TIA

Did you mount the share using it's netbios name or via IP address? What chipset is your network adapter using?

Did you mount the share using it's netbios name or via IP address? What chipset is your network adapter using?

The computer has to see the share before it can mount it. According to the above message, Linux can't retrieve the share list.

The 10G NIC in the Linux box is a Chelsio and a SolarFlare in the Server. I can remote into the server via Remmina just fine but when I connect via remote the transfer rate is far too slow to be usable.

The computer has to see the share before it can mount it. According to the above message, Linux can't retrieve the share list.

The 10G NIC in the Linux box is a Chelsio and a SolarFlare in the Server. I can remote into the server via Remmina just fine but when I connect via remote the transfer rate is far too slow to be usable.

Yes it does, however since WannaCry SMB1 has been disabled which affects 'browsing' for shares. Can you add the share using \\IP Address\share?

Have you done a basic line rate test from IP to IP? iperf? Is this thing even configured correctly? Are you sure? There is far to many layers to troubleshoot with the info you have provided.

The inbox linux driver can sometimes be really old depending on distro version, kernel etc. Have you tried updating the adapters driver to whatever is latest?

The fact that I see a GUI popup is worrying me that you are trying to mount a share using fuse. Using fuse is going to be absurdly slow. Just use a normal mount -t cifs -o user=bleh,domain=blah //server/share and that should probably create less issues.

I don't think you can browse shares anymore with SMB1 off. I could be wrong...

Also: What nic are you using? What switch?

I'm using Windows Server 2012 R2 and Linux Mint 19 so SMB1 shouldn't be an issue, right?

You'd think not, but all my issues stemmed from MS updates and having to find a work around to patch it back up.

It's a damn shame that Linux to Linux networking is even worst. Haven't been able to get that working at all. :(

It's a damn shame that Linux to Linux networking is even worst. Haven't been able to get that working at all. :(
That I haven't noticed. Ubuntu to Manjaro and back, not an issue. Decent speeds.
Linux to the hard drive on the Linksys router is good too.

I always used SSH between my linux computers, even for file transfers.

I'm using Windows Server 2012 R2 and Linux Mint 19 so SMB1 shouldn't be an issue, right?
I could be wrong, but I believe they patched out SMBv1 on all versions of Windows from 7 (and it's server variant) and up. The earlier comment about fuse by Banko is pretty spot on. For normal end users fuse is fine, but if you're the type of user who wants to take full advantage of a 10G network, then mounting with cifs-utils is definitely the better route. What I do to accomplish this with ease for my NAS shares is to use autofs. It can be a bit finicky to setup, but it's great once you get it going. But, just adding a line to your /etc/fstab to handle the mounting at boot is a simpler and effective way to go. Plus, once that's done you'll never have to "browse for shares" again.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

I used an external drive to transfer the files. Shouldn't have had to.

If you're serious about using SSH the command you want to learn about is called SCP (Secure CoPy). For Windows to Linux I'd use WinSCP (yeah, it was a long time ago). For linux boxen you use scp on the terminal specifying host and destination once you've established the SSH connection between the two.

Most people consider SSH/SCP on a local network to be absolute overkill but I've never believed that security on a local network can be guaranteed at all times. :whistle:

SMB Linux to Linux just sounds like
Blasphemy.

NFS? iSCSI?

I’ll also second SSH/SCP or Rsync for just file transfer when directory/share mounting isn’t required

It's a Supermicro server. duh.
I still don't get it. Supermicro is a device manufacturer, not Microsoft. If it came with Windows server preinstalled, you can (and should obviously) get rid of it unless you absolutely need to tie it to some corporative systems that have been built on Microsoft against their better judgement. :p

SM not listing linux on a compatibility chart does not mean it wouldn't run normally with most distros.

Just turn on services for Unix on your server, and share the data over NFS instead of using Samba on your Linux client. Your real problem is Samba implementation of SMB, so just bypass that altogether.

Just turn on services for Unix on your server, and share the data over NFS instead of using Samba on your Linux client. Your real problem is Samba implementation of SMB, so just bypass that altogether.

I need to remember to do this when I get my CentOS server back up.

SMB broke a while back between it and all other clients (pick a Linux distro + multiple Windows 10 machines). I assume I'd want it back if I set up a domain, which is on that list that only grows longer, but that's not necessary at the moment.

RHEL 7.6 at home with FreeNAS 11 and a windows 10 desktop. I can saturate 10gige on all of them using smb no problem. I did enable SMB multichannel to get it to multithread, but other than that, pretty much all default settings.

It depends on the kernel, from memory 4.15 was the point that SMB1 was disabled and under Mint you can update the kernel.

What kernel are you running?

Not to mention that it will most definitely be patched and disabled on the Windows Server.

I'm running kernel 4.15.0-55-generic

So what's the best solution, is there even a solution?

Honestly.... I have more trouble sharing on Microsoft Windows based computers than Linux. Linux, i just install/set up Samba server, set the share password, and I can access it via Windows and Linux machines easily. Windows shares, especially now that MS is pushing the "Microsoft Account" login, seem far less intuitive.

Honestly.... I have more trouble sharing on Microsoft Windows based computers than Linux. Linux, i just install/set up Samba server, set the share password, and I can access it via Windows and Linux machines easily. Windows shares, especially now that MS is pushing the "Microsoft Account" login, seem far less intuitive.
What does Microsoft account have to do with network shares? I've not seen this at all. Windows sharing isn't much different today than it was a few years ago.

I still don't get it. Supermicro is a device manufacturer, not Microsoft. If it came with Windows server preinstalled, you can (and should obviously) get rid of it unless you absolutely need to tie it to some corporative systems that have been built on Microsoft against their better judgement. :p

SM not listing linux on a compatibility chart does not mean it wouldn't run normally with most distros.

Yup, I have dozens of Linux + SM setups running.

What does Microsoft account have to do with network shares? I've not seen this at all. Windows sharing isn't much different today than it was a few years ago.
SMB1 has gone from being 'a bad idea' to being excised from all default installs.

Totally romeo-foxed their Homegroups solution, which for what it was, was actually pretty decent.

I'm running kernel 4.15.0-55-generic

So what's the best solution, is there even a solution?

You don't need a solution. You don't browse for shares and use the IP address of the server when specifying shares, I do it all the time, works fine.

In order to connect to the share on a windows PC, you need a login and password. It is not easily discernible what that "username" is, when using the Microsoft account to log in. It is not necessarily the name in front of the outlook/msn/hotmail/etc.com. It is not the full email address.

In order to connect to the share on a windows PC, you need a login and password. It is not easily discernible what that "username" is, when using the Microsoft account to log in. It is not necessarily the name in front of the outlook/msn/hotmail/etc.com. It is not the full email address.

You have to use whatever the name is of the actual folder is under 'Users' containing the account profile, it's usually the first five letters of the long winded email used as a user name for a Microsoft account. I've tried using the entire email address in the past, it doesn't work.

Back