Why does it say Vista is taking up 18gb of space?

J87X

Limp Gawd
I installed vista ultimate 64 on my old comp and it only took 13gb of space from my 29gb partition. I just now formatted the partition and reinstalled it for my new comp, now it says it is taking up 18gb of space. I looked at all the folders on the partition and it only adds up to about 13gb, so why is it saying there is only 10gb of free space on there?

If you have more memory, your pagefile will be larger.

I have 4gb on my new comp, had 1gb on my old comp. So pagefile takes up 7gb of my hard drive space without showing it?

The pagefile defaults to 1.5x system RAM I believe. So a 4GB system will have a 6GB pagefile.

To see it, simply drop to a command prompt, change to C:\, and type "dir /ah". Pagefile!

ok thanks. hmm I guess I might have to install programs on my other partition now to preserve space, or use magic partition to make it bigger. Would you recommend leaving pagefile on for 4gb? Or do most people only use it if they have 8gb?

Leave it as system managed unless you know what you are doing.

If I use the vista disc to format/reinstall the partition and make it bigger, will I lose data on my second partition?

Yes.
You need to use a good tool to resize partitions.
Even with them there is a risk something can go wrong.

A better option is to copy all data off, delete the partitions and recreate.
Or do as I have and only install Apps to drive C:, all games go on another drive.

System restore? Delete the older restore points and see what happens.

Your going to have to tell it to use less space too. Type in a command prompt :
"vssadmin list shadowstorage" no quotes to see how much is used and allocated, "vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /Maxsize=10GB" to change it to what you want ( example assumes it is on the C drive, and you want it to be 10GB in size).

Your going to have to tell it to use less space too. Type in a command prompt :
"vssadmin list shadowstorage" no quotes to see how much is used and allocated, "vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /Maxsize=10GB" to change it to what you want ( example assumes it is on the C drive, and you want it to be 10GB in size).

Don't foget to change your recycle bin options. By default I think it uses like 12% of your drive space for that. I always set it at 500MB

To add, if you have 4GB of Ram I would cut the page file down to 1GB max. I'm running 4GB of ram on a Windows 7 laptop and no paging file and it runs flawlessly. My memory useage rarely tops 50%

Back