why do you never finish good games?

Sometimes the actions get repetitive and annoying for me (i.e. God of War), I suck at a particular game or style of game, or it just doesn't seem fun (Bought FF13 used off here, played it for the first time, mind you its my first time playing any FF, and after like 20 minutes, I said to myself, wow this game kinda sucks :X - Thought because the style of play was similar to Valkyria [which I enjoyed tremendously], it would be fun, but I guess not).

As for above, that happened to me and DOOM 3 haha :X. I liked the old school DOOM games and figured I give DOOM 3 a try and yeah, no go.

Ive bought every GTA: SA, GTA4 and Vice city and have been massively disappointed in all GTA's since 3.

i definitely feel you. my belief is that most people have a 'golden years' period for gaming where it is fresh and fun and everything seems original. then after enough years go by, many of us grow harder and harder to impress and we can see the same formulas being repeated ad nauseum

I just don't have time. I own a ton of games, and I end up getting new ones before I have a chance to finish the last. With games constantly being released, I'll probably never finish anything within a reasonable timeframe.

I think the only single player game that I never finished in the past 5 years or so was Far Cry...way too boring for me.

I am notorious for not finishing many of the games I buy...I blame it on a number of things:

1. Short attention span. I personally do not like really long single player games (with the exception of amazingly compelling narratives or fun to be had)
2. I get bored playing against the computer and jump in the multiplayer then never return to the single player. This happened to me with BFBC2. I wanted to play through the single player first, but after the first 4 or so missions I just got bored and wanted to jump into the (much more enjoyable) multiplayer.
3. Real life shit gets in the way and I never go back to a particular game unless (as mentioned) I find it really compelling
4. Steam. With Steam's aggressive pricing (I love it, BTW) I simply have amassed too many games and don't really have the time or patience to devote to finishing a lot of them.

That being said I will finish many of the games I have eventually. For example, I'm currently finishing my Dragon Age playthrough that I started back when the game came out and am now getting around to finishing. Next up I'll be doing the same with Heavy Rain and Batman: Arkham Asylum. Both of which I also started when they first came out, and am now finally having the time to return to :)

For me, the only games I did not finish are those massive sandbox type of games like FarCry 2, Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

Those kind of linear single player games that people complained about being too short, I've always finished them up to now.

2. I get bored playing against the computer and jump in the multiplayer then never return to the single player. This happened to me with BFBC2. I wanted to play through the single player first, but after the first 4 or so missions I just got bored and wanted to jump into the (much more enjoyable) multiplayer.

Always tried following this rule of playing SP before MP until CoD4,CoD5, and MW2 came out. I found myself jumping into MP and totally forgetting about SP. I someone manged to bring myself to beat the BFBC2 campaign though.

Other then that, I really dont see myself buying singleplayer games unless
1. I actually want to play a SP game and know that I'll finish it. Now adays I only see myself buying MP games to play with friends.
2. Its on sale on Steam

Just Cause 2 is my current singpleplayer game. Probably the only singleplayer game I've spent this much time on (~40 hrs)

I have a feeling its going to be a long time before I finish the Witcher.

I get bored which means they weren't actually that good in the first place. We have too much consolitis in the PC gaming world.

Fallout 3 has to be the biggest disappointment (for myself) in years.

The editors at PC Gamer recently wrote that they had a rep from a major studio in their office who said to them that a title of theirs which has made hundreds of millions for them (a game we all know about, and one which virtually everyone of us has played) was only completed by 5% of the people who bought it.

In other words, 95% of the people never finished it.

I suspect that it might be Oblivion.

I have this problem too. Bought GTA 4 when it first came out and still have yet to push myself to finish it. Same thing with Final Fantasy XIII and a few others. Even when I have a lot of time like now I still dont really care to finish them.

I can't even start "good" games these days, much less finish them. Something about the modern day of gaming has me feeling unexcited for them. Maybe it's really because I'm getting older and less interested, but I'm relatively young compared to many veteran gamers here since I hail from the era of '90s gaming SNES (console) and Doom 2 (PC). Nowadays I just watch my bro play through most of the games, FFXIII being the most recent, and it was okay but not that great. It's entertaining, but doesn't have anywhere near the impact that it's predecessors used to.

Last edited:
I have never completed HL2.....

Couldn't be bothered, i actually lost interest halfway through.

In general I finish almost all games that I buy. There have been some exceptions, like I am really forcing myself to play Bioshock even though I would rather be playing Bad Company 2.

Same problem here, multiplayer is more alluring to me atm. It goes in cycles. Trying to force myself to play a game doesn't work for me if there is something else I'd rather be playing then I don't enjoy it

- GTA 4
- Fallout 3
- Batman: Arkham Asylum
- Dragon Age Origins

I'm crying here, every one of those games you listed is a GOTY contender. Stop what you're doing and go finish them!

Ironically, I'm in the same boat. I have reinstalled HL2 atleast a dozen times and got about (at most) 1/2 way through the game before I simply just lost all interest. Everyone clammers about how awesome the game is but even since owning it since launch it has never grabbed me that way. I think the last hope for HL2 with me is the announcement of HL3, which might FORCE me to push ahead and beat the game. As it stands, I just uninstalled the game again 2 weeks ago because it sat half completed for nearly 6 months. Even during game droughts, I'd rather replay other games than play HL2.

Vindicated +1

The editors at PC Gamer recently wrote that they had a rep from a major studio in their office who said to them that a title of theirs which has made hundreds of millions for them (a game we all know about, and one which virtually everyone of us has played) was only completed by 5% of the people who bought it.

In other words, 95% of the people never finished it.

I suspect that it might be Oblivion.
Probably not Oblivion. It is very unlikely that Bethesda made hundreds of millions of dollars from it.

Come to think of it, I never finished HL1 either. I *hate* those gay ass loading screens.

Yeah, me too. There was nothing compelling about that game to me, it just made me feel melancholy and unenthused. I played it because of the excitement and acclaim, but at the end of the day it really wasn't anything particularly special.

Ive bought every GTA: SA, GTA4 and Vice city and have been massively disappointed in all GTA's since 3.

OK...I can understand GTA IV and maybe even GTA: SA, but Vice City? Pfft. That game was arguably the pinnacle of the series.

I didn't care for GTA IV until I got the first person mod. It made it a totally better and different game in every way. I can take pure joy out of just exploration and travelling in the game. Now the game is going by too quickly and I'm worried when it will end. I bought all the expansions too but I am also worried they will be too short.

Last edited:
It seems to be a habit that people go either way with. I finish ALL games, I can't help it. I must complete them. I know many people who never finish games. I think it is a personality trait

I have the end all answer. We have real lives to attend to.
Ive only really sat down and completed a game from start to finish if i have like a week off.

In my case, I've been spoiled by good games. I just can't finish mediocre FPS games that doesn't have an engaging story line.
For exemple:

- Mass Effect 2: I swear, I've completed that game in 3 days, I was hooked!
- Gta IV: It was a good enough game, I finished it.
- Prototype: It was too repetitious for me, so I didn't complete it.
- Prince Of Persia: Great Story and you just relax in that game because you can't die.
- Just Cause 2: Dunno, the story didn't pull me in. So I didn't bother finishing it.

Generally speaking I tend not to finish most games that I buy. For some reason I end up playing them for just a few days and then either get bored to death by them, or RL comes up and I don't have time and then forget about them.

Probably not Oblivion. It is very unlikely that Bethesda made hundreds of millions of dollars from it.

They sold over 7 Million copies on all platforms, so they could have easily made at least 100 Million dollars on it in total.

I'm working on Diablo 2 right now. Waited a LONG time to finish it.

I have a short list of games I want to finish. The oldest game that I bought new, intended to complete and never did is Quest for Glory 5 from 1998.

In the past year I finally completed HL2 and all the episodes. None of them were that good, and I had to force myself to finish them, besides Ep2 which was really fun, especially the end.

The reason? Age. You've seen the gimmicks and formulas (I loved HOMM but now can barely force myself to play the 'lite' version, Kings Bounty). I try to finish what I purchase, eventually. I do have to force myself a little bit anymore, but once they are off my queue, I can go back to what I really want to play (Left4Dead 2).

the thing is...review sites like metacritic curb our likeliness to play games. Yes all those games were rated well and high, but it seems some of them are just boring for a lot of people. and then there are those who talk about the games like they have to finish them...what's up with that (although I've felt the same, it's like reading a classic)? Didn't finish one of the only games to really grab me and make me want to play it all the time until it's finished is mass effect 1 and 2. props to bioware.

Back