Why do you love games? Answer with a game.

Did anyone else delve down the rabbit hole that was user created counter-strike (v1.0-1.3) content (maps, skins etc..)? People made some incredibly rad weapon and character skins, just sitting out on the internet to find.

-Also I played the hell out of early beta Day of Defeat and Firearms mods.

Did anyone else delve down the rabbit hole that was user created counter-strike (v1.0-1.3) content (maps, skins etc..)? People made some incredibly rad weapon and character skins, just sitting out on the internet to find.

I used to try out new weapon models multiple times a week in search of the best ones. It was quite an addiction :D

Beta 2.
Like, before goose knew how to make guns on the right side of the screen. I miss those VIP missions... This has nothing to do with user created content.

Beta 2.
Like, before goose knew how to make guns on the right side of the screen. I miss those VIP missions... This has nothing to do with user created content.

Yup. I started playing on the second version he released. I think it was still beta 1 though. I have tried so hard to remember how I even stumbled upon cs but I can't. CS was good to me though. Won a ton of money before moving to BF1942.

Yup. I started playing on the second version he released. I think it was still beta 1 though. I have tried so hard to remember how I even stumbled upon cs but I can't. CS was good to me though. Won a ton of money before moving to BF1942.
There was an editorial in the back of PC Gamer about CS in 1999. The editor talked about how he was so hooked. I downloaded it and got hooked too. Mostly on the P90.

Bf1942 and all the mods.

Desert combat
Interstate 82
Pirates
Star wars
Forgotten hopes
Eve of destruction

Great time

videogamesstalkerfunnvwkyr.jpg

CHEEKI BREEKI!

Loved gaming forever but the game i remember bringing out the competitiveness in me was street fighter 2 and first learning how to do the dragon punch....

it was unstoppable in sf2
ChenKen.png

I love games because of Wolfenstein 3D, Unreal, Warcraft II and Duke Nukem 3D

Skyrim

Exploration, growth, challenges, stories, possibilities.
Freedom.

Did anyone else delve down the rabbit hole that was user created counter-strike (v1.0-1.3) content (maps, skins etc..)?.

What about Quake II? Man I had multiple GB's of maps and skins for that crap when having a 2GB hard drive was still a pretty big deal. It was so much fun running around with a crack-whore skin and seeing a sheep run by with a rocket launcher strapped to its back firing widely at Homer Simpson running backward with a railgun. :D

I love games because...

Diablo got me into PC gaming.

Half Life, Deus Ex, The Longest Journey showed me how great games could be.

Riddick: Butcher Bay, COD4, Dreamfall, Mass Effect series, Oblivion give me hope that it's still possible to make a great game.

What's funny is after thinking about my first computer I bought, a beefy IBM at 25mhz and a 129mb hard drive for $1,500ish, I've come to conclusion that you could take the worst game made last year, pick one, and if it had came out back then it would have been the best thing ever. lol.

My gaming started with the Atari in the early 80's. The NES is where it really came together though IMO. Super Mario and Mike Tyson's Punchout. I remember the whole family watching me play Punchout because I was the only one who could beat Tyson lol. All of this has made me realize how so many pc gamers bash consoles but in reality I'm not so sure computer gaming would be where it's at without the NES. (I'm more of a pc gamer than console gamer.)

What's funny is after thinking about my first computer I bought, a beefy IBM at 25mhz and a 129mb hard drive for $1,500ish, I've come to conclusion that you could take the worst game made last year, pick one, and if it had came out back then it would have been the best thing ever. lol.

My gaming started with the Atari in the early 80's. The NES is where it really came together though IMO. Super Mario and Mike Tyson's Punchout. I remember the whole family watching me play Punchout because I was the only one who could beat Tyson lol. All of this has made me realize how so many pc gamers bash consoles but in reality I'm not so sure computer gaming would be where it's at without the NES. (I'm more of a pc gamer than console gamer.)

PC gaming was always behind Arcade/console development until the dawn of 32-bit processing(80386) and 3D accelerators. The old hardware was extremely specialized in sprite work(with no real graphical standards for the industry), scaling and rotation, a really big thing in the arcades at the time(See NEO GEO, Sega System 32) which was not really seen on the PC until Wolf3D and Doom, but in software since there was no dedicated hardware on the PC side for this. Most consoles used that arcade experience as the basis for their hardware.

I say 32 bit first, because of Wolf3D and Doom; and 3D accelerators 2nd, because it's wasn't till GLQuake when 3d accelerators became a standard in a gaming PC and now where we are today. 3D acceleration and the GL standards that came with it, is what made the PC the end-all ultimate system that is has become today.

I love games because they allow you to share experiences with one another & take you to a different world. I sometimes refer the experience to playing the main character in a book.

Keeping that theme in mind my top 3 games would be.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

I must have beaten this game 20 or more times when I was a kid. My friends & I would always take turns fighting Links Shadow.

Twisted Metal 2

My Dad and I would play this together until the break of dawn. So fun.

The Elderscrolls IV: Oblivion

Having grown up through the 1980's and getting into PC gaming with games like Wolfenstien 3D, Diablo and Hero's of Might and Magic, this was the first PC game that actually "wow'd me" & sucked me into the world and kept me there. In my opinion its the best in the series.

Last edited:
Also found these. Sadly, the SimEarth box is lacking the disks but still has the giant book it came with. The Secrets of the Luftwaffe looks mint on the inside. Awesome times in the ME262 playing using a projector after school in the math classroom! I probably annihilated hundreds of planets worth of life in SimEarth as well.

I loved my Rules of Engagement 2 on my Amiga, that was a great game and gaming machine. However, I absolutely loved Return to Castle Wolfenstien which I purchased on steam and am still playing it. (The only multiplayer game I really enjoyed was Enemy Territory.)

STAR CONTROL 2! :D

Loved gaming forever but the game i remember bringing out the competitiveness in me was street fighter 2 and first learning how to do the dragon punch....

it was unstoppable in sf2
ChenKen.png

Oh god.. street fighter sucked hours and hours out of my life.. that and Mortal Kombat on the SNES.

I think this thread is more appropriate in the general gaming forum but oh well. Mind if I be a little pessimistic and rephrase it to "Why did you love games?" :D I'll answer it with this game:

Final Fantasy VI (III US)

It was far from my first RPG experience and it was a game I experienced long after its prime. I only experienced through emulators in 1999/2000. It showed me that games weren't all about the gameplay, but rather a full audio, visual and kinesthetic experience. It also showed me that a complete, comprehensive story can be told in a concise and gripping manner. I don't think I've ever been as enveloped by a game world since then.

X-Wing

My brother and I stumbled upon this game at the base PX when we were younger. For once we managed to agree on something, we pooled our money and took it home. It came on 7 disks, we had to remove most of the other games off our 54 MB hd to make it fit. Goodbye Wolfenstein 3D, goodbye Duke Nukem 1 and 2. Totally worth it, I remember the first time we were playing and we had to engage a Star Destroyer, or watching computer controlled cap ships duke it out while we provided fighter cover.

There have been games before that, and since but I played that game until the manual fell apart and I couldn't get the security codes from it. Between that, descent, and tie fighter I think we must have gone through two joysticks at least (I also got a gravis firebird one year for my birthday, it had sweet ass presets for xwing/tie fighter).

Sega Genesis got me into gaming. Specifically NHL 95! As for PC gaming Command and Conquer definitely sucked me in. BF1942 was the first PC game to force me to upgrade and actually learn about computers...I was so jealous watching the G4 tv show with them playing maxed out online

MP: Ultima Online. That shit was crack pre-T2A. I've never been able to replicate the feeling of playing that game.

SP: KOTOR. So. good.

Also found these. Sadly, the SimEarth box is lacking the disks but still has the giant book it came with. The Secrets of the Luftwaffe looks mint on the inside. Awesome times in the ME262 playing using a projector after school in the math classroom! I probably annihilated hundreds of planets worth of life in SimEarth as well.

Really really awesome!

The Horton fighter / bombers were impressive. Had they had them sooner we could all be speaking German right now.

If you are ever interested in selling that one, let me know.

For me it was Reader Rabbit for DOS. I was about eight when my Dad brought a 80286 Televideo home. With its bright green display and monochrome graphics, I loved Reader Rabbit and Math Rabbit. I investigated all options in the games and discovered there was a way to quit out to this strange interface called DOS. Without a manual, I learned a few commands from my old man and took to it like a duck to water. I then started running games like Ace and Thexder and was just enthralled. I grew taller than all of my classmates and quickly hit 6'5" when I was about 14 so people were wondering why I wasn't all into basketball. Answer: PC gaming.

Back