Why do you love games? Answer with a game.

I love game because of Gemfire on the PC playing coop with my father :)

Still love playing games and even more when I get to enjoy a game with someone. We had a blast playing Super Mario 3D World during Christmas at my parent's :D

Hard to say. Commander Keen? Wolfenstein? Kings Quest? Star Control? So many good memories.

Ya commander keen and Wolfenstein got me into gaming.

Battlefield 2 is what got me into multiplayer

S.T.A.L.K.E.R restored my faith that great sp fps can still be made.

To The Moon made me appreciate indi games.

WOW brought me into the mmo world.

Arma got me hooked on teamwork.

EVE taught me to be a paranoid asshole who hates every one. (just joking)

Aces of the pacific got me into flying game

command and conquer got me into rts games.

Lords of the Realm, Warcraft 1, Starcraft 1, GoldenEye, Front Mission, Quake 3, Counter Strike, City of Heroes, Planetside 1, Full Throttle, Mario 64, NFL2K series, Soul Caliber 1, Wing Commander, etc...

We get to pick more than one? I'd have too many too list if those are the rules.

Super Metroid. It was the first game I invested a lot of time to playing taking me 6 months to beat in 1996. My best friend and I would talk about our play sessions we each had the previous night offering each other tips and we shared a strategy guide for it. Also my friends and I spent most of the summer of 1998 playing Goldeneye. Still the best summer I have ever had. Mass Effect was one of the first stories in a game that I cared about and introduced me to Bioware as a company which made me track down all their older games.

Last edited:
In no particular order...Wizardry 1, Ultima 1,2,3,Bards Tale (original), Quake (Glide), Duke Nukem 3D, Half Life 1, Original System Shock, Original DeusEx, Populus, First Splinter Cell, Star Wars X-Wing v/s Tie Fighter, Original FarCry, First Borderlands, second too, Diablo 1, Wing Comander, Fallout 3, Project IGI, Ultima Underground, Amnesia, GTA 3, Counterstrike.

There are several games that really made me love gaming, but if I would have to pick one it would be Unreal from 1998.

Those years were for me personally some of the best years of gaming. With 3DFX and games like Quake, Hexen II, Quake 2, Half-Life and especially Unreal. But also games like Starcraft or Command and Conquer.

I miss the feeling of those times, in a way because everything felt so fresh and new back then, both in terms of games and hardware. At times I wish I could relive those days again.

I love games because of Jetpack, Tyrian, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, One Must Fall, And Civ II.

I played my first games at the age of 3(ish) on a Bally Astrocade with the pistol-grip controllers. I'd say that's what got me into gaming, and the reason I love them. However, it was greatly amplified when I played Jumpman, M.U.L.E. (more on M.U.L.E in a minute) and Archon for the first time on the C64. Turrican, Shadow of the Beast etc. on the Amiga inspired that same sort of feeling. Followed by Sierra adventure games, Origin games like Ultima, Wing Commander, then Doom. Ultima 8 Pagan (yeah scoff if you want but the game is incredible) was a big gaming moment for me, and is a BIG reason I love games. Nothing could have prepared me for how far removed from reality and implanted into a game world I could be like System Shock though. That was a defining game for me. System Shock 2 brought that back to me in a big way though too. For more modern games... Mirror's Edge, the first Dead Space, Doom 3. Those ones give me those feelings. Honorable mentions are Zelda and Mario games. The reason these are honorable mentions is that I usually (until I got older) was late to play them. I didn't have a NES or SNES when they came out. Picked up an N64 a little later as well. I absolutely love Super Mario World, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. Others in the series' are great too, but those are my favorites and would also define why I love games...

Back to M.U.L.E. there is nothing like a drunken game of M.U.L.E. with your best friends. NOTHING LIKE IT! If you've never tried... I suggest you grab a copy for your favorite C64 emulator (or Atari computer if you were one of those guys :D ) a nice bottle of scotch, some cigars, and play a few tournament rounds. You can thank me later...

I miss the shareware store in the mall. Boy that was always an exciting time.

My allowance = spend $10 at the mall arcade, hit some shareware, buy some DOS game that I had to write my own batch file for, add in mouse support and hopefully get it to recognize my off brand sound card.

My allowance = spend $10 at the mall arcade, hit some shareware, buy some DOS game that I had to write my own batch file for, add in mouse support and hopefully get it to recognize my off brand sound card.

The agreement we had was that if we weren't little shits while our parents were doing their thing at the mall then they'd let me and my brother decide on a game to take home from the shareware store.

It's pretty amazing the things we had to do back then to get a game to work. I remember that off-brand soundcards were THE WORST. Eventually I remember telling my dad that in his next computer he better get a SoundBlaster so that we could stop fucking around with shit lol

Oh how I just wanted to hear "Your Sound Card Works Perfectly!"

Lunar: Silver Star Story

%D0%9E%D0%B1%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B6%D0%BA%D0%B0_Lunar_-_Silver_Star_Story_Complete_%D0%B4%D0%BB%D1%8F_PlayStation.jpg

Secret Of Mana

+1 That is one of my favorite games of all time.

Its hard for me cuz theres a bunch of games each generation that just brings back that optimism. Just to name a couple that was mind blowing experience the first time playing them.

Blaster Master
Shenmue
Fallout 3
Grand Theft Auto
Ocarina of Time
Link to the Past
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy VII

I miss the shareware store in the mall. Boy that was always an exciting time.

I don't lol, as kid in the 90s that was the only way I got games for the PC. I wasn't til like 2 or 3 years of playing the shareware version of Duke Nukem 3d and Warcraft 2. I got the full versions and was blown away.

Since then i had a sour taste in my mouth when it comes to shareware games.

Quake does rank up at the top of my favorite game soundtracks ... Trent Reznor was the perfect fit for that title ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgyjCCMbWlY&list=PL90ACFEE5615B8EB6

I actually preferred Sonic Mayhem's soundtrack for QII over Trent's work on Q.

I don't lol, as kid in the 90s that was the only way I got games for the PC. I wasn't til like 2 or 3 years of playing the shareware version of Duke Nukem 3d and Warcraft 2. I got the full versions and was blown away.

Since then i had a sour taste in my mouth when it comes to shareware games.

Yea i know how you mean, but in my experience the shareware version was quite good. They didn't restrict things which would detract from the experience like today if you're lucky enough to get a demo. For instance Raptor: Call of the Shadows. As I recall, that demo had the first whole sector, and all the weapons. Purchasing the game only opened up the second and third sectors.

I think it was more the total ambiance of the store though. It wasn't like today where you go into Gamestop and stroll over to the tiny PC stand. The whole store was wall-to-wall with cheap shareware.

Last edited:
Reading these replies reminded me of the demo discs that used to come in magazines. I had stacks of those discs, played the first level of so many games. I must have beat MDK's first zone 100 times.

Reading these replies reminded me of the demo discs that used to come in magazines. I had stacks of those discs, played the first level of so many games. I must have beat MDK's first zone 100 times.

I definitely had a big stack of PC Gamer discs.

I remember when they did the big Quake 3 issue with the demo.

WarCraft II. Played that from beginning of release to the end of the Bnet era when Diablo 2 came out.

Back