Why do you like Windows Mobile?

Did you miss the title of this thread? Or just felt like thread-crapping made you look cool?

I'm cooler than cool, I'm ice cold. :cool:

As a WM user I think I have every right to state my opinion. I can't really point to a feature that I specifically like.

I like WM because it works for ME. Thats what you need to remember when you buy your phone. Don't just go off what others tell you.

WM works for me for the following reasons-

• Multitasking. Huge for me. I constantly have music playing on my Touch Pro, once had my music playing, taking a pic, AND received a MMS, didn't skip a beat, took the pic, and my message was a simple task change away.
  • Cooked ROMS- Ok, this TouchFlo 3D stuff works nifty, but it's nice to know that I'll be able to changed the interface when I want. I've heard of the "oh shiney" effect wearing off quick for iPhone users, they have complaints, they can't change anything, thankfully, WM users can.
  • Program Flexability- WMWifiRouter FTMFW! Amazing app. Anyway, I'm about to get knee deep into some .net programming, and it will be nice to be able to try and dev for it :) Not to mention the plethora of other apps that are out there.

I know these issues will be kicked like a dead horse, but really, when it boils down to it, WM users like the pure control they have over their device. Thats really the end of story.

Microsoft had ten years to get windows mobile right, and they blew it. I can power up my old ~ 1999 iPAQ, compare it to my recent HTC Mogul, and... they look the same. They both freeze, take forever to do anything, and even some of the dialogs and interface screens haven't changed. Windows Mobile feels like a time warp to me. I think it's very telling that every halfway popular windows mobile device has a UI that goes out of its way to hide all traces of the OS underneath.

I'm thankful to iPhone OS, Android and WebOS and happy to see Microsoft's share of this market plummeting - they've earned it, and if they want to earn a spot at the table again, they need to take some of the magic juju they sprinkled on Windows 7 and Server 2008, and use it for their mobile offerings.

And all this is written as someone who owned windows mobile devices continuously from the early pocket pc days of the late 90s through 2008.

So it has to look different every time in order to be improved? That's pretty dumb reasoning. And having used Windows Mobile for that long as well I can say I have had very few issues and nothing that comes close to outweighing the benefits. Anecdotal evidence ftw!

I use WinMo, WebOS, BB, and iPhone OS.

WinMo is a UI nightmare, and 6.5 does absolutely nothing whatsoever to address that.

I use WinMo, WebOS, BB, and iPhone OS.

WinMo is a UI nightmare, and 6.5 does absolutely nothing whatsoever to address that.

You've just stated what's called an opinion, I know lots of people that like the new titanium interface that IS part of 6.5. Personally I'm still partial to touchflow which unlike the other phone OS's (unsure on android) I have a choice to use.

The only real difference in 6.5 (which I use) from 6.1 is the style of popup menus and the default home screen. That's it. Everything else is identical.

It doesn't need to "look different" but it does need fundamental, significant functionality changes.

The only real difference in 6.5 (which I use) from 6.1 is the style of popup menus and the default home screen. That's it. Everything else is identical.

It doesn't need to "look different" but it does need fundamental, significant functionality changes.

You could make the same argument that Windows for the PC has had minimal changes since it still has a start menu, task bar along the bottom, etc when the truth is many things have changed under the hood. New abilities, new versions of office, more refined tools and memory management, it has been upgraded. As for the interface, there are several interfaces to choose from as I said. CHOOSE being the key word here. You can't choose with the others.

You could make the same argument that Windows for the PC has had minimal changes since it still has a start menu, task bar along the bottom, etc when the truth is many things have changed under the hood. New abilities, new versions of office, more refined tools and memory management, it has been upgraded. As for the interface, there are several interfaces to choose from as I said. CHOOSE being the key word here. You can't choose with the others.

Interfaces like Android, WebOS, and iPhone OS make WinMo 6.5 look like the mobile equivalent of Windows 3.1 in a world of Gnome 2.2 and OS X world. Troll all you like, WinMo's UI is ancient and absolute shit compard to more modern mobile interfaces.

Interfaces like Android, WebOS, and iPhone OS make WinMo 6.5 look like the mobile equivalent of Windows 3.1 in a world of Gnome 2.2 and OS X world. Troll all you like, WinMo's UI is ancient and absolute shit compard to more modern mobile interfaces.

And yet it's still better, amazing isn't it? :D You can put a pretty covering on a car but the engine is still what counts.

have a (crappy and slow because of the low RAM) Dell x51v, a (non touchscreen but okay) Blackjack II, will be upgrading to a Fuze/TouchPro(Raphael), hopefully it's better...

been thinking of switching to an iPhone, but i think i enjoy the customization offered (iPhone jailbroken might offer a little more incentive to switch, but i'll stick with winmo for now)

And yet it's still better, amazing isn't it? :D You can put a pretty covering on a car but the engine is still what counts.

It's not better. It is, in fact, the worst smartphone OS on the market at the moment.

It's not better. It is, in fact, the worst smartphone OS on the market at the moment.

It really depends on what you mean by "worse". While I'll say that I hate using Windows Mobile with a passion and I agree it pretty much needs a complete overhaul for me to bother with it ever again, there's no denying in the fact that WinMo phones can pretty much do anything you want... literally.

That being said the latest WinMo phone I've owned was the HTC Touch Pro and after fooling with cooked ROMs and tweaks (and a bunch of other gripes) I ditched it exactly 1 week later. :D

In the end of course, it always comes down to "use what you like the most".

I hate using Windows Mobile with a passion and I agree it pretty much needs a complete overhaul for me to bother with it ever again...

Well that's exactly what I mean. The OS itself is really awful. Its only saving grace is that it's pretty open and was the only choice long enough to collect a decent amount of apps and developers.

That doesn't make it a good OS, though.

Most people that complain about WM stability and being shit and not working right have way too much shit running at once and the phone is just bogged down. I have seen this happen to numerous people, I pop open the task manager (which they go WOW, never seen that before), and then close the tons of stuff they have open, and bam it is super fast again. That is the one thing I dont like about WM, it should make it clearer on how to exit apps so people dont have tons of stuff running in the background if they dont want to.

I will say WM is way more customizable, has way more applications, and is way more adaptable than any other mobile OS. There is so much software and so much potential for it. Most dont realize this though. I would like to see you add a barcode scanner, dial up modem, PCMCIA cards, printer, scanner, credit card reader, any serial device, etc. to your iPhone or Android device. Do most need it? No, but for some special applications nothing beats it and it shows just how expandable the OS is.

People dont really understand that Windows Mobile, IE Pocket PC, is a full Mobile OS, not a Phone OS or even Smartphone OS, but a complete mini version of Windows that can run programs, drivers, and have devices added on with very little effort. Its not for everyone, and not everyone needs it, but it is WAYY ahead of the mobile OSes from competitors at this point as far as what it can do. It is sad in a way that true Pocket PC PDAs stopped developing as 5 years ago they were ahead of what is today considered ground breaking in the phone arena. 624mhz processors, dedicated graphics chips, VGA screens (have yet to see a phone with this), and lots of internal memory were the norm.

I have mine set to close things when I hit the x, not minimize them. If I want to minimize something I just hit the home button or hold the x till it minimizes. See, just like driving a car or operating a PC things work best when you actually learn how to use something. :)

I have mine set to close things when I hit the x, not minimize them. If I want to minimize something I just hit the home button or hold the x till it minimizes. See, just like driving a car or operating a PC things work best when you actually learn how to use something. :)

Yup I know you can set it up like that, the issue is most just pull them out of the box and start using them. It would be nice if it was set like that at default so people didnt open a ton of crap and not know it is all open, then complain their phone is slow when it is trying to do 50 things at once.

Yup I know you can set it up like that, the issue is most just pull them out of the box and start using them. It would be nice if it was set like that at default so people didnt open a ton of crap and not know it is all open, then complain their phone is slow when it is trying to do 50 things at once.

Yeah that wasn't directed at you, the point was MS takes a lot of crap for things that really are the fault of the customer not bothering to learn.

I got a WinMo phone (HTC Touch Pro) a month and a half ago and love it. With a nice custom ROM, it's really amazing. The UI isn't the best, the touchscreen isn't the best, but the functionality is unparalleled. Granted, I haven't used WebOS, Android, or Blackberry OS, but let me list some of the things I can do with my phone:

-Become a mobile WiFi access point and share my 3G connection over WiFi using WMWifiRouter
-Keep me continuously signed into AIM, Google Talk, Yahoo Chat, and Facebook Chat using Palringo
-Receive push email from Live and Exchange accounts
-Send MMS seamlessly with hardware keyboard
-Take pictures with a flash (also handy as a flashlight)
-Create, edit, and present (using TV out) Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents
-Run apps written in Java and Flash (limited for now, full version coming this year)
-Connect to and control my home computer via Remote Desktop

Show me another mobile OS that can do all of those things. At the same time. :D

I got a WinMo phone (HTC Touch Pro) a month and a half ago and love it. With a nice custom ROM, it's really amazing. The UI isn't the best, the touchscreen isn't the best, but the functionality is unparalleled. Granted, I haven't used WebOS, Android, or Blackberry OS, but let me list some of the things I can do with my phone:

-Become a mobile WiFi access point and share my 3G connection over WiFi using WMWifiRouter
-Keep me continuously signed into AIM, Google Talk, Yahoo Chat, and Facebook Chat using Palringo
-Receive push email from Live and Exchange accounts
-Send MMS seamlessly with hardware keyboard
-Take pictures with a flash (also handy as a flashlight)
-Create, edit, and present (using TV out) Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents
-Run apps written in Java and Flash (limited for now, full version coming this year)
-Connect to and control my home computer via Remote Desktop

Show me another mobile OS that can do all of those things. At the same time. :D

I, too, love my WM OS because of its functionality - I can basically do the same things on my HTC Excalibur and it can do it at the same time. You know, I don't think there's another mobile OS that can do it all at once :cool:

i wish HTC would bring back the dpad or add a trackball to their new phones

increaseing screen size is understandable but without a dpad it limits its fuctions especially on media control and games

which is the reason why i got a diamond instead of the HD

still winmo rules with its hackability and the amount of awsome apps and it isnt restricted by apple

Back