Why do you have to wipe the iPod everytime you redo the firmware!

Grentz

Fully [H]
Ugg. Am I the only one this annoys?

Why do I have to resync 30gb of music every time I want to upgrade or update my iPod Touch? They have done it with all the iPods...making you completely erase the storage to do an update. Wouldnt it be great if they just let it update the OS partition area?

Sorry, little rant. It just is really annoying on the flash based iPods as it takes forever to sync everything back.

Upgrade's don't require you to re-sync your content...

Are you doing a restore every time?

Unless iPhones and iPod touches have some annoying difference?

Upgrade's don't require you to re-sync your content...

Are you doing a restore every time?

Unless iPhones and iPod touches have some annoying difference?

It has done a wipe everytime I do an upgrade or update (like going from 1.x to 2.0 to 2.2.1), not doing a restore either. Just doing the check for update/download update/apply update routine that itunes walks you through.

Did the same on my iPod Photo back in the day.

Weird, on my phone, only a restore or a 1.x > 2.x > 3.x would require a resync, like 2.2 to 2.2.1 would keep the info, and that's really what I expect cause so much stuff under the hood has changed.

Hrm, interesting. Maybe I was just unlucky or did something wrong...but I dont think I did (just followed the itunes directions).

O well, will have to wipe anyways for 3.0 :(

It would be nice if it could just resync the music DB info and not have to copy all the music back over...there really should be no need for that.

The only time it has to wipe is when you torrent the latest leaked firmware and install it a few days ahead of time by shift-clicking Restore. :p

The only time it has to wipe is when you torrent the latest leaked firmware and install it a few days ahead of time by shift-clicking Restore. :p

Or major version updates lets just say...

1.x > 2.x or 2.x > 3.x etc.., anywhere in between should be fine.

Never had to wipe / re-sync, and I've had an iPod since the first iPod with the physical wheel.

Back