Why do you dislike Battlefield Hardline?

Brent_Justice

This is an open question, to the members on our forum whom I value gaming input.

There is no doubt that some games are controversial, or polarizing. Some love or hate a game, and for very different reasons.

For Battlefield Hardline, I've seen negative feedback and positive.

Instead of posting what you like about the game, please post why you dislike the game, and why you may not be purchasing it.

If you love it, and are planning to purchase, you need not respond.

I want to hear from the people who are not going to purchase it as to their reasoning why they are not going to play it. I am interested in your dislikes of the game so I can get a grasp on what is most disliked about it.

I think it will be enlightening. I appreciate the feedback. Please keep the thread clean and no arguing, this is just opinion.

After the cluster flop that is BF4 and STILL having issues, why would I want to buy a game that is described as a "should have been a DLC"? Still might get it IF AMD gives out codes for the game like they did for BF4, and it is cheap.

Agree with chibe, I bought BF3 and BF4... they have turned the franchise into the yearly cod crap machine and I did not enjoy playing BF4 all that much. Hardline comes off as dlc for BF4 and I'm done giving money to the machine for these bad yearly launches. Watching some videos and ads online, this seems like a Payday ripoff.

I'm more interested in Star Wars Battlefront. There's already been so many Battlefields that have been similar, and undoubtedly SWB will share from Battlefield... So, I'd rather wait and not be burnt out when Battlefront comes along.

I didn't touch BF4 after what happened with BF3 (dlc whoring, origin, 6 months of hackers being untouched). I played the second hardline beta on PS4 for ~6hrs total in 4 sessions.

The levels were too small for the vehicle based game modes. The vehicles were too flimsy.
The heist mission levels had poor level detail and felt sloppily done.
The unlock system seemed needlessly complicated, I don't particularly have a problem with them in general, but many people do. They should start you out with some cash to get a few unlocks from the start.
Its a glorified mod and not worth a full purchase price
But above all, its EA.

I think it's a divergence from what the franchise stands for.

I truly believe it should have been an expansion pack with a price tag less than $60 which is cost of a full AAA title.

I don't like the message it sends across with the whole militarized police thing already being a real issue.

I really don't like that EA is trying to take the Battlefield franchise and make it into another Call of Duty clone by selling it out to other companies to do their own thing with. CoD flip flops between IW and Treyarch and all that. BF now flip flops between DICE, Danger Close, and now Visceral. Wikipedia regards Hardline as a "spin-off" too.

For the first time in BF's history I truly will not be buying this one. It just doesn't feel right.

Edit: BF4 in it's current state is MUCH BETTER than what it was at launch.

The "Michael Bay" games have run their course in my eyes. The MP component has also gotten really stale, too. While I appreciate that this one isn't exactly like the others, I'm just sick of the genre as a whole. Plus, I'll never forget the convoluted mess that is button mapping on a BF game. If it takes me 7 pages (and a separate program to use the arrows) to map all of my buttons for a mindless shooter, they're doing it wrong.

Being hit from a unknown sniper from a prone position by a Soda machine in a Garage in the middle of a desert. Donnuts and Cops make a bad game.
This game might be good for laughs but it's so fast paced I don't see it happening.

I get the feeling that this is something EA wanted done because BF5 is still a long ways out. It feels like a step down in overall scope from what made the BF series outstanding to me.
Maybe if it wasn't using the Battlefield name.

The following:

- BF4 is still iffy. It varies game to game, but hit detection/registration/animations are still off.

- Full price, but less vehicles. No tanks.

- Not much effort put into the police theme. They use military weapons and vehicles out fitted with military grade weapons.

- Didn't transfer over the BF3/4 firearms. Considering the games are so similar with the lack of vehicles, they could have ported over the remaining BF4 weapons.

- Unlock system is more grind based. Now you need many kills + lots of money.

I may end up getting it eventually if they tone down the grinding, BF4 dies, and it is on sale. But at their asking price and day one? Not a chance.

The game still has the same exact memory leak that BF4 had. Using a system like mine in sig below, which is kind of a common system build, after a few matches your memory usage goes to 100% and the system crawls to a stop. The only way to release the memory is to reboot the system. Even with SSD and fast reboot times, it is not really a good way to do stuff.

It's a great game for sure that I'd like to play but stealing bank and crime games is not my stuff.

I enjoyed BF3 quite a bit but 4 just didn't grip me the way I thought it would. I joined the BF4 party really late as I waited for the game to get really cheap. BFH seems like something I'd like conceptually but I hear the execution is lacking. I haven't played it so until I do I can't make an informed decision on it. Based on what I've heard so far it seems like something I'd be better off waiting for a deal on rather than jumping into early.

I really thought that BF3 was going to be a flagship game that EA would lean heavily on to sell its Origin service - similar to how Valve used TF2 to bring a lot of people to Steam over the years. The idea makes sense: create and support a game that brings people to your service, allow the community to create content and extend the longevity of the game, etc.

But it became crystal clear that the only thing EA was interested in doing was copying Activision's model for COD: no modding, very limited support, pushing/advertising DLC before fixing the current game client/server client, ignoring community requests, etc.

So yeah, when your company doesn't do anything but spew out quarterly releases and doesn't worry about quality control or making the community experience any good, people like me stop buy any and all games from your company. Haven't given a dime to EA since BF3 and everything I've read on their games since then has led me to believe it's been a good practice.

I'm not into the whole cops/robbers thing. I'm waiting for Star Wars Battlefront.

Despite my feelings regarding EA I never ever hope a game sucks. I sincerely hope Battlefield:Hardline is just fucking amazing and I am given every reason to run out and buy it.

If I have to say I dislike anything about hardline it's that it's being forced to start off on such a bad foot with Interviews beyond the horizon flush with EA apologizing and saying how different things are gonna be this time. I wish DICE could distance itself from EA corporate decisions. I recall a couple videos of DICE members blatantly lying on camera about functionality or DLC and at the end of the day it'll be DICE that gets punished more so than EA.

It isn't going to be a game that will be played competitively. I miss twl and cal so much. Just to scrim again.....

Hardline doesn't feel right. After playing the beta, I do think it is a solid fps in terms of stability and gameplay. It just isn't a BF game. The cops and robbers theme is very off putting. Make a 1942 remix or vietnam or a mixture of both. Bring back DC. Just make it a WAR game damn it!

boring. Didn't enjoy either beta.

Shoot rocket launcher at car, car keeps going, its out of sight by the time you've reloaded, great.

plus bugs from BF3 went to BF4, and went to BFH. they really need to fix them at one point.

Personally I feel like the battlefield franchise has been going downhill ever since BF1942. I loved how that game had an almost perfect balance between being a simplistic fun game (TF2, etc) and a military shooter. Since then the Battlefield franchise has gotten more and more complicated (including lame DLC bullshit), focusing almost exclusively on the military shooter side of things and totally dropping the simplistic fun element. Hardline, even though it's a different theme, follows the same broken formula and doesn't seem to have that simplistic fun element at all. Count me out.

Personally I feel like the battlefield franchise has been going downhill ever since BF1942. I loved how that game had an almost perfect balance between being a simplistic fun game (TF2, etc) and a military shooter. Since then the Battlefield franchise has gotten more and more complicated (including lame DLC bullshit), focusing almost exclusively on the military shooter side of things and totally dropping the simplistic fun element. Hardline, even though it's a different theme, follows the same broken formula and doesn't seem to have that simplistic fun element at all. Count me out.

I liked BFBC2 it was definitely not in line with classic BF, but it was really focused on what it was trying to accomplish and I enjoyed most all the maps.

Quick tight matches that were extremely teamwork dependent. It felt a lot like counter-strike to me. I liked that most matches rarely lasted more than 20 minutes.

the maps in BF3 felt poorly designed. All anyone I knew wanted to play was the BF2 map karkov or whatever. It was the only one that felt fair even if one of the teammates was suffering from scrubitis.

I appreciate all the feedback, I've been trying to decide if we should include the game in our testing suite or not.

It doesn't sound like it will be as popular as BF4 was.

Based off the beta I don't think the graphics look as good as BF4. They are almost a little more cartoony. I also didn't care for the gun play. Normal mode felt more like Hardcore with quick time to kill and it makes me wonder what hardcore will play like. I tend to go back and forth between them depending on the mode.

This brings me to the biggest issue I have with the game and that is the modes.

The game launches with 7 modes. 2 of the modes are single elimination which I don't enjoy. I understand adding one and if it becomes
popular adding a second in DLC, but not launching with 2 out of 7.

You have conquest which is fine, but never my main mode.

Heist was disappointing for me. It seemed people just camped the rooftops and edges of the building.

Hotwire had potential, but it needs more people. They recently confirmed on official and Ranked servers that it is limited to 32 players. I fear it will be just like beta where you drive without seeing anyone leading to constant lopsided matches. They either need smaller maps, more players, or to tweak the mode. If they tweaked the mode so only one side drove the marked cars while the other tried to stop them the 32 players would probably work.

Blood Money was ok, but ran into the same problems Heist had. By the end of beta more people just camped the opposing trucks rather than trying to run money.

Then we have Team Deathmatch which I prefer objective based modes if they are just going to have random spawn points. I used to love TDM when you had designated protected spawn zones in older FPS games since you had concentrated areas of firefights. Now you just run around killing people while the person you just killed spawns behind you killing you.

Finally they have toned down the damage and destructibility. The last beta showed how little damage the buildings had and that is really disappointing. I understand you don't want to have the buildings completely destroyed but let me at least clear the interior walls out like the Close Combat maps in BF3.

EDIT: Forgot, I absolutely hate the new unlock system. I know some people complain about the number of unlocks in BF3 and BF4, but the system works for me. I go to the stats tab in battelog or the unlock tab in bfstats.com and use the weapon that has the next unlock. I then switch it up every match. It acutally makes me use every weapon to I work through the unlocks. With Hardline you now unlock by buying whatever weapons and attachments you want. In beta I never spent any money because in these type of systems I have the bad tendency to never spend the money. I play RPGs the same way. I save potions/long cooldown skills until I need them and usually die because I don't use them since I feel like I will always need them when I can't use them.

Last edited:
Blood Money was ok, but ran into the same problems Heist had. By the end of beta more people just camped the opposing trucks rather than trying to run money.

Different strokes.. Half the fun of Bloodmomey during beta 1 was harassing the other teams armored car vault in their garage, it's part of the strategy. Glorious when other team had their truck 95% full and they're about to win and my squad robbed the whole truck empty in the span of 8 seconds. That whole back and forth made the mode great.

Then I'd jump in the attack chopper and stick the nose into the garage entrance of my teams vault and shred any enemy team trying to rob ours.

Those armored attack trucks were also great fun rolling into the garages like a bull in a china shop - oh the kills streaks - but I believe they removed the grenade launcher from it and now it's just tear gas.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the feedback, I've been trying to decide if we should include the game in our testing suite or not.

It doesn't sound like it will be as popular as BF4 was.

It'll be popular enough until Battlefront, and more popular than BF4 between now and December. The vocal majority screaming "it's just a mod", many of them will be closet buyers. They always are.

Consider that 7 million people played the beta a few weeks back. Despite all the hang wringing among entitled gamers that believe a full SP campaign plus 9 original MP maps and a bunch of new modes, vehicles and weapons should "only be $20 cuz iz just uh reeskinn" - and many of them bandwagon jumpers that don't even own a previous BF title and are just parroting what they've heard - I expect sales will be decent.

Anyhoo, it'll be in the testing suite of the other major review sites so there's that to consider.

Why did they create this game? Is the question I would like to know bored BF4 people it's just going to disperse the crowd between all three games now....

I know why they made the game MONEY!

As a few others have stated, I'm honestly more interested in playing Battlefront and I already have BF4 which I hardly ever play anymore anyway. The wait for Battlefront isn't that much longer and there's plenty of things to hold my attention until then.

That said, Hardline looks like it could be fun (I didn't participate in the open beta) but, I don't see myself buying it anytime soon. Maybe when it's on sale, I'll pick it up and give the SP a go as I'm hoping it'll be good enough to warrant a purchase at some point.

Different strokes.. Half the fun of Bloodmomey during beta 1 was harassing the other teams armored car vault in their garage, it's part of the strategy. Glorious when other team had their truck 95% full and they're about to win and my squad robbed the whole truck empty in the span of 8 seconds. That whole back and forth made the mode great.

Then I'd jump in the attack chopper and stick the nose into the garage entrance of my teams vault and shred any enemy team trying to rob ours.

Those armored attack trucks were also great fun rolling into the garages like a bull in a china shop - oh the kills treats - but I believe they removed the grenade launcher from it and now it's just tear gas.

If the other team ran money that would be ok, but in the matches I played they just camped the truck. They never tried to recover the money so eventually time just ran out or enough players quit that someone finally won.

I think it will sell well enough to warrant including it in benchmarks. We will see but I believe it is going to be more advanced graphically than bf4. Even if the advancement is marginal.

I'll buy it for 5.99 in the first year

That's the only reason I'd buy it...yea 5.99 after a crap load of bugs the port over from BF4 sounds like a good deal. I'm done with Battlefield all burned out...I spent 2600 hours in BF3 and BF4 and then quit the second I hit 140..hard to justify paying 65 for a mod when there are too many other games to enjoy especially if you have a 300 game backlog. :p

I burned out on 'modern' combat settings all the way back at Battlefield 2. I'd like a refresh of BF1942. So many good memories...

Got it for 40$ preordered through Mexican Origin.

I am excited for the campaign.

It feels like a mod and plays like one. It is a watered down BF4 and I already own BF4. The 'Cops and Robbers' theme just makes it all the more easy to skip IMO.

What's next Battlefield: Firefighters VS. Tree'd Cats?

...and none of my friends are getting it either, so there's that.

/Tired of EA. Tired of the military industrial complex and it's influence on America. Tired of what Law Enforcement in America has become.

Back